Audio Engineering Rant

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio Engineering Rant

Post by EMRR »

Phil O wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:14 am There's a recent event that prompted this rant. Some very good local musicians that I'm close with offered to help a senior (4 year degree - major in recording) at a prominent music school with his senior project. The goal of the project was to produce and record a song [edit - 3 songs actually]. The professor has a name that most of you would recognize, but I'll refrain from disclosing it. The musicians got a copy of the final master and played it for me. They were very disappointed in the results and thought he would get a failing grade. I listened to it and agreed. It was terrible. He got an A- on the project.

Your thoughts (not flames) welcome.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
My only thought is that grades in many cases are based on entirely different things; audio mixing quality may not be one of the requirements. Completion of the project, in any form, may have the heaviest weighting.

I went to the Recording Workshop many years ago. I forget the exact percentage, but 'attitude' was something like 30-35% of the total grade. At the time they were training people to be hired as entry level 2nd engineers at large facilities. Back then the assumption was you learned on the job over time, you mainly had to be bearable as a person, know when and why to speak, and when to melt in the wallpaper. Basic studio technique a bonus.

You'd think a 4 year program would be different, who knows.....every community college seems to have a record production program now, and exactly none (okay, maybe 1-3) of those degree holders are finding jobs in the 'music production industry', though quite a few (pre-2020 at least) could get a convention center AV job.

FWIW YMMV ETC.....
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

EMRR wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:12 pmMy only thought is that grades in many cases are based on entirely different things; audio mixing quality may not be one of the requirements. Completion of the project, in any form, may have the heaviest weighting.
Ordinarily I would agree with you on this. I taught college level engineering for 12 years and I have a pretty good understanding of the difficult nuances of grading so I get what you're saying, but this was his senior project at a well knownn music school. A senior project like this is kind of the undergraduate equivalent of a thesis. And I gotta tell you. Those recordings were absolutely horrible. Anyone here could have gotten a better recording with an iPhone in a gymnasium. Just sayin'.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil, you’ll be interested in this from Audio Design Desk, now showing at NAMM. Uses AI and looks like it not only tells you where to place audio in a movie, but tells you what audio add. And supplies the audio. You can do sound tracks without art or science. I’m wondering whether you even have to watch the movie.

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/namm- ... n-desk-daw
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

That's it folks. We will be replaced by AI DAWs in the near future. Take all your gear to the dump, or if you can, sell it before DAWs go sentient. Get ready for music that REALLY sucks the cream out of a mold covered Twinkie. :surrender:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

“Sentient”. Good name for a new DAW.

Don’t worry (yet). So far AI has done a good job of emulating stupidity a lot more than anything else.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:34 am That's it folks. We will be replaced by AI DAWs in the near future. Take all your gear to the dump, or if you can, sell it before DAWs go sentient. Get ready for music that REALLY sucks the cream out of a mold covered Twinkie. :surrender:
MLI (MonkeyLabs Industries™) is all over this one brudda. :lol:

IIRC we were the first to explore the possibility of homogenising pop music to the point that all songs are indistinguishable from one another. That's innovation mate. :dance:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:59 am Phil, you’ll be interested in this from Audio Design Desk, now showing at NAMM. Uses AI and looks like it not only tells you where to place audio in a movie, but tells you what audio add. And supplies the audio. You can do sound tracks without art or science. I’m wondering whether you even have to watch the movie.

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/namm- ... n-desk-daw
Kind of depressing. Maybe this sort of thing will never replace composers that are working on big budget major films, but some people need a place to start. I used to do some composing many years ago for local television spots as I knew some production companies locally. Eventually I realized I had to compete with needle drop library music and you just can't.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:23 pm MLI (MonkeyLabs Industries™) is all over this one brudda. :lol:

IIRC we were the first to explore the possibility of homogenising pop music to the point that all songs are indistinguishable from one another. That's innovation mate. :dance:
So… that’s Your fault?

I mean it is a good first step to world domination but what’s the end game? It can’t be the streaming royalties. :rofl:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yup, my fault. :?

End game? Streaming royalties? I figured that through homogenisation every song could become a #1 hittoon simultaneously. Now that there'd be royalties brother. :lol:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:53 pm I figured that through homogenisation every song could become a #1 hittoon simultaneously. Now that there'd be royalties brother. :lol:
With that statement, have you just revealed your background as an accountant?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

There's no hiding from you Brother Stoivo. :lol:

Of course, an old favourite from in the MLI product line kinda gave the game away:
The ol' MonkeyLabs Able 'Cause Abacus™ - Also available in IvoryBead Edition™

Thanks this oldfangled device I don't miss a bead... I mean, beat. :headbang: