The very bad support from MOTU

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
OctoUser
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

The very bad support from MOTU

Post by OctoUser »

I'v' been talkin to MOTU: I said - it works under Big Sur - he/she/it said "not supported". Okay? This night I updated/upgraded to Monterey. Every iMOTU-instances works as it ever did. "No more support" doesn't mean that you can't try. Why? Simply because you (MOTU) don't give a damn about us - the amateurs with a home studio. However....Firewire and Clockworks works under Monterey. Just un-install every instance of MOTU before you start updating. And re-start when it says so. I'm on mid 2015 Mac Book Pro. I'm a semi-amateur. All is working. MOTU support is not working.
Last edited by OctoUser on Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The very bad support from MOTU

Post by stubbsonic »

This post makes no sense and isn't very nice.

I read it twice and have no idea what you are saying.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Old devices are no longer supported. Get over it. MOTU employees are adhering to the company line because it costs MOTU a lot of money to support old, obsolete hardware—it's a business decision. Again, get over it.

Depending on the device, there may be a current driver that works. It won't be listed under the device because (stop me if you've heard this one before) old devices are no longer supported!

Now, if you want to tell us what you're talking about, one of us may let you know what driver should work and where to find it.

My MTP AV and 828mkII FW work great on my M1 MBAir and my Intel iMac Pro, both running Monterey 12.3.1 and guess what? Neither are supported.

Everything I wrote applies to older versions of Digital Performer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What's a semi-amateur?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Let me get this straight...You are slamming MOTU customer service because something works?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Either way this belongs in the Gripes forum and is moved.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:54 pm What's a semi-amateur?
I feel called out! :evil:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Oh, and I look at it this way, I have RME gear, only because I got a Fireface years ago, it's vastly more expensive than what MOTU charge, if I had bought MOTU gear I would maybe have a deprecated interface, but it would have been almost half as expensive. So if it didn't work now 15 years later I still wouldn't be out any less money, and I would have a new thunderbolt interface over a 15 year old firewire interface that I'm glad is still supported with drivers, but at some point I'm sure even RME will cut us off. IMO pay now or pay later, that's your choices.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Maxxx17 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:47 am It's a terrible way to do business, if you ask me. I myself am a budding entrepreneur and have long thought about how to form an llc in wyoming that would make everything top notch. So you have to work hard for that. As for me then having an LLC is a better and cheaper option than having other business structures. The main thing is to decide on the first steps and then go in that direction.
Knock yourself out. Can't wait to read about you winning a slew of Tech Awards for your flawless interfaces and impeccable customer support in Cheyenne.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've had varying luck with MOTU tech support through the years, but I've never encountered anyone I would consider an imbecile. I would assume that when a company decides to drop support for a legacy product or drop support for a new product on legacy OS that it would instruct its technical support people to inform customers of said decision. I think what you encountered was that simple. The he/she/it you spoke to was simply passing on that info. I would also expect a company to try and limit the amount of time tech support reps spend with customers on non-supported legacy products. This may also have contributed to your frustration.

The people you meet here are very generous with their time and are a wonderful resource for folks of like mind. If you have a problem someone here is likely to help. But, dude, you gotta tone it down a bit.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:11 am... he/she/it you spoke to...
:lol:
Phil O wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:11 amBut, dude, you gotta tone it down a bit.
Indeed brother.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here