ISO: Recommendation for Screening Room Sound

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ISO: Recommendation for Screening Room Sound

Post by dix »

Anyone have recommendations for a basic 7.1 or 5.1 sound system for a medium size screening room? A VFX company a do a lot of work for wants outfit a 16x32x12 space with a decent system. The space itself has surprisingly okay acoustics - very dead, not perfectly symmetrical, with some acoustic treatment already. The screening room wouldn't be for evaluating sound per se. It would be more for presenting content to groups of clients.

I have Meyer Sound coming to evaluate and recommend something, but that will likely be beyond the scope of what is needed or can be afforded. I'd like to also have recommendation for them on the other end of the $ scale.

I have experience setting up surround for mixing and installations, but I don't think that experience necessarily applies here.

Anyone have experience with this type of system or installation?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
HCMarkus

Re: ISO: Recommendation for Screening Room Sound

Post by HCMarkus »

I can't provide any specific recommendations, but it should be noted the other end of the $cale is a good quality Home Theater system. Most home theater receivers have both digital and discrete analog inputs, so a variety of sources can be accommodated.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Crutchfield has a free BtoB consultation service. They won’t come out to you, of course, but they should be able to make a proposal.

https://business.crutchfield.com/Corporate/Index.aspx
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:30 am Crutchfield has a free BtoB consultation service. They won’t come out to you, of course, but they should be able to make a proposal.

https://business.crutchfield.com/Corporate/Index.aspx
Thanks Mike. These guys might be just what I need. They have a few bundles listed that are actually pretty close to what I’m looking for . I'll give them shout.

@HC, yes there may be a home theatre system that can cover it. The space is much bigger than most living rooms, but there are some hefty home systems out there.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com