How to use 8pre without Cuemix

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to use 8pre without Cuemix

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm migrating over to a newer computer with Catalina. This kills 32bit support for CueMix. I've got a perfectly working MOTU 8pre that I've been using in my setup for a while, and I followed the instructions to get the drivers working on Catalina. However... how the heck am I supposed to use it without Cuemix? I've wired in a lot of devices from my studio, and I've always used Cuemix for live monitoring in and outside of DP10. Even when DP isn't running, I use the 8pre to wire in outputs from another computer, some hardware keyboards and other devices. Is there a way to toggle input monitoring from the 8pre hardware unit itself? Or can this be done straight from the MacOS Audio/MIDI setup window? (so far, the "MUTE" options are greyed out there). I have an M4 as well, but with my needs that would gimp me pretty badly until I can save up enough for a new 8channel.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Re: How to use 8pre without Cuemix

Post by mikehalloran »

You will not find the Catalina under the 8pre since that unit is discontinued.

Instead, download the Catalina driver for the 8pre USB. When you select it, click on VIEW ALL DOWNLOADS. Now scroll down or click on OS 10.15 in the upper right hand corner.

You want this one:

MOTU Audio Installer
Version: 83634

Release Date: Jan. 2, 2020

Even though the later drivers work, MOTU will not list them for the older hardware. Lots of threads on this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I think I wasn't very clear. I've already got the 8pre working alive and well in Catalina, just as you said. I installed the newer USB MOTU Audio Setup, and it works just fine, even shows the 8pre in the window. My question was about INPUT MONITORING, now that CueMix has been depreciated.

However, I realized I could just create my own Input Monitor using a Max/MSP patch. Unless there's a commercial alternative, I'll just use that. Hell, I could even program in my own monitoring reverb/compression/EQ if I wanted to, not that I typically do.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I am an idiot. I just realized that there is a new 64bit version of CueMix that works just fine with Catalina and road in on the MOTU Audio Drivers installer. Now I feel dumb!
— Eric Barker
Eel House