MOTU-M2 white noise from BOYA 6060L mic

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
GregCorson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU-M2 white noise from BOYA 6060L mic

Post by GregCorson »

I have a Boya 6060L shotgun mic and MOTU-M2

At normal recording levels on the MOTU-M2 (either input) I'm hearing a fairly obvious hiss/white noise with this mic. When I hook this mic to a DIFFERENT XLR interface I don't hear this hiss. This is all at normal voice record levels. I have tried two different 6060L mics, same with both.

Both interfaces were providing phantom power. The noise on the MOTU seems to still be there even if I shut phantom off and run the mic on a battery.

I have several other mics and none of them seem to be doing this, they sound the same on both interfaces and are clean.

Any idea why just this one mic has this unusual noise level ONLY on the MOTU-M2?
GregCorson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU-M2 white noise from BOYA 6060L mic

Post by GregCorson »

Actually, if I disable phantom power on the MOTU-M2 and turn on the battery on the BOYA mic, the noise goes away. So definitely seems related to MOTU's phantom power.

However I tried it with a Stellar X3 XLR phantom power mic and not hearing the noise. It sounds the same on both interfaces.

Also tried running a Rode VideoMic NTG through a Rode VXLR pro balanced adapter. Tried this both with phantom on (the adapter converts to plugin power) and with phantom off and the Rode's battery turned on. Both settings sounded the same on the MOTU.