Change output on backside (motu m4)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
matt777
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Change output on backside (motu m4)

Post by matt777 »

I own the motu m4. The setup also consists of two speakers (so one pair of speaker) and two headphones. Currently, the two speakers are connected to monitor line out (6.35mm jack). One headphone is connected to 6.35 mm jack in the front, the other one via an adapter (3.5mm jack to 2x cinch) to line out on the back. How can I switch between the speaker on the back and the headphone on the back? In front it's relatively easy: turn down the volume. Is that possible via software? for example, this would be also interesting for setups where you have 2x speakers connected to line out on the back (so 2x2 speakers), because you do not want to have all speakers on but can switch between them.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Change output on backside (motu m4)

Post by mikehalloran »

What you want to do requires a Monitor Controller. Here are three pages of them with prices and feature sets are all over the map.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Studio ... pular&pn=2

Passive units are normally quieter but will insert a -1 to –2 dB loss. If your speakers have plenty of available gain, that's not a problem.

Besides being able to select and combine multiple output pairs, many allow you to go to Mono with the push of a button not disturbing your mix. A DIM button lets you drop the level -20 dB or so which has its uses.

The original Mackie Big Knob was an industry standard for many years while the PreSonus Monitor Station gets a lot of love around here.

The feature set of the hybrid Radial MC3 (passive with an active headphone amp) matches my needs. Besides having MONO and DIM buttons, the SUB switch lets me remove my subwoofer from the mix as needed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
matt777

Post by matt777 »

I think the Mackie Big Knob Passive will fit my needs as i don't want to spend thaaat much money for just switching between two outputs. Until a few hours ago i thought, i could achieve this for free with just some software magic.
Newbie question: How would the connection look like to my motu m4? I'll guess I connect my speaker and headphone jacks to the Mon Outputs on the back of the Mackie Big Knob and after that connect a cable from Source Input to .... Monitor Line out of the motu m4? After that i should switch between my outputs with the Monitor Select Button of the Mackie Big Knob.

What is the best way to control the volume afterwards? Hit the motu m4 all the way up to max and control the "real volume" with the Mackie Big Knob?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

matt777 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:46 am I think the Mackie Big Knob Passive will fit my needs as i don't want to spend thaaat much money for just switching between two outputs. Until a few hours ago i thought, i could achieve this for free with just some software magic.
Newbie question: How would the connection look like to my motu m4? I'll guess I connect my speaker and headphone jacks to the Mon Outputs on the back of the Mackie Big Knob and after that connect a cable from Source Input to .... Monitor Line out of the motu m4? After that i should switch between my outputs with the Monitor Select Button of the Mackie Big Knob.

What is the best way to control the volume afterwards? Hit the motu m4 all the way up to max and control the "real volume" with the Mackie Big Knob?
Basically, yes, no reason to overthink it.

You set up the input source—or both if you need to—and the two outputs. You’ll use your speaker gain to set your balance between monitors A/B, then use the Mackie to switch between the two. As for overall control, you’ll probably use the Big Knob — or not. We all get into a workflow that suits us.

Once you use the MON switch to check compatibility without disturbing your mix, you’ll know the money was well spent.

You don’t say what the deal is with headphones so I’m going to guess. If you’re trying to control multiple users, a headphone distribution amp is normally ideal. Fortunately, if fewer than four, Mackie makes an ideal unit under $40—ultra quiet and simple. I sold my others after buying mine.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detai ... -amplifier
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
matt777

Post by matt777 »

Yeah, the distribution amp seems quite nice. The background idea is not complicated: I’ve got one pair of monitor speakers and two pairs of headphone. I am the only one who use this setup, there are no other people. But I need to switch in this setup between all of those three options from time to time.

So with the distribution amp I could connect both headphones to it (and not on the motu m4) and if I want to use one of them I simply increase the volume with the knob…
matt777

Post by matt777 »

So i bought the Mackie HM-4 which should fit my needs. I connected the input of the HM-4 with the line out of the Motu M4 and a pair of headphones to one of the headphone inputs on the HM-4. Volume is turned up but... no sound so far. If i connect the HM-4 input the the headphone output of the Motu M4 (on the front) i'll get sound on the left side of my headphone - right side is muted. But also, this concept feels very wrong. Anything to consider getting the line out of the M4 working?

I think my cable is an unbalanced one so i will buy a new TRS cable. But i will get a mono signal from the back of the M4 (line out), so i will need a y cable (2x unbalanced -> 1x balanced cable) for this purpose. But how can i control my volume in this case? Can i control monitor out and line out volume independent? For example, i listen to my monitor speaker. Then i want to switch to my headphones. I turn up the volume on the HM-4 so i get sound on the headphones but also i want NO sound on my monitor speaker, so i turn down the big volume knob on the M4 (front). But i think this will affect also the volume of line out, so all in all, i'll get no sound on the monitor speaker and on my headphones. How to prevent this?