RECEPTOR: Could this be the solution??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Jaysplace101
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RECEPTOR: Could this be the solution??

Post by Jaysplace101 »

Ted, I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on this and buying one or two of them. I'll probably start with one to make sure all is well with it. Uniwire is key for me. You say to expect uniwire in a couple weeks? It actually works, right...??? It's not just a concept that you're trying to pull off...... Hope that doesn't sound rude. I'm just trying to make sure it's really going to work as stated. And, it sounds like you're going by what your programmers have said, and just looking at the specs.

Also, I'll re-ask this: can I still have my computer hooked up to broadband via ethernet when your box is attached?

Thanks,

j
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Originally posted by TedRackley:
By the way, if any of you want to buy a Receptor, but are waiting for that one special plugin, let us know so we can prioritize it for you.
Reactor 5, I'll buy when it runs on Receptor. ;)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

OK !!!!!
How about the latency on the Ethernet ?
How about multiple channels ?

What can we expect ?

Thanks ....

Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
aplanchard

Post by aplanchard »

If intending to use sample-based VST instruments (e.g., EWQLSO, BFD, RMX with expanders, etc.), then you are probably looking at needing the 160 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM. Given that the hard drive needs to be installed by Muse, for which you pay a premium ($249 for a 160 gig HD), that takes the total price from $1400 to about $2000 with the HD and extra RAM.

I read the performance info regarding voice count that Ted provided, but I am still trying to figure out how The Receptor performs against either a comparably priced or a comparably equipped PC for a more typical live or studio use, say an orchestral setup using EWQLSO. I wonder how many instruments and voices ar possible at once?

<small>[ July 30, 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Allan Planchard ]</small>
Jaysplace101

Post by Jaysplace101 »

Where'd you go, Ted? I'd really love to get these questions answered...............please come back and play......

j
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by Allan Planchard:
If intending to use sample-based VST instruments (e.g., EWQLSO, BFD, RMX with expanders, etc.), then you are probably looking at needing the 160 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM. Given that the hard drive needs to be installed by Muse, for which you pay a premium ($249 for a 160 gig HD), that takes the total price from $1400 to about $2000 with the HD and extra RAM.

I read the performance info regarding voice count that Ted provided, but I am still trying to figure out how The Receptor performs against either a comparably priced or a comparably equipped PC for a more typical live or studio use, say an orchestral setup using EWQLSO. I wonder how many instruments and voices ar possible at once?
Exactly my thoughts and questions as well.
dtobocman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dtobocman »

This unit sells for around $1600 if anyone's interested... I checked.
David Tobocman
www.DavidTobocman.com
TedRackley

Post by TedRackley »

Sorry guys,

Been in NYC for 3 weeks, now I'm back in LA.

Jayman,

Yes, it actually works, we showed it at NAMM in January and at Music Messe in March. Did you see the Harmony Central and Sonic State videos?:

http://trio.harmony-central.com/ramgen/Musikmesse05/Muse.rm

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2125

Yes, you can still have your computer on the internet, but you will be sharing bandwidth, not that the internet uses that much. Receptor uses standard TCP/IP to connect to Macs and PCs. I use an Airport Extreme Card with an Airport Extreme Base Station for internet and the ethernet port goes to my Receptor.

Aramis,

Receptor will carry 16 stereo channels of audio in and out of your host program over ethernet, plus a separate MIDI port for each plugin, plus video so you can see the GUIs of your Receptor plugins.

Allan Planchard,

I have EWQLSO Gold on my Receptor, which preset would you like me to try and give you the polyphony on? Using the NI Kompakt "Large String Section" patch, I was able to get 256 stereo voices of polyphony, without reverb.

dtobocman,

The typical street price of Receptor with 40GB drive and 256 MB RAM is $1399. If you want to order a larger hard drive from us, you can always do so later, or we can pre-install it with a special order whatever you prefer. We are not trying to compete on RAM pricing, but we will pre-install RAM for you as a convenience. We will also pre-install plugins for you, at a charge of $20 per plugin and we will need your serial number for the software (comes in real handy with EWQLSO and Colossus). The premium on the hard drive is mainly to cover our labor costs, we actually have a person that specifically has to format the drive and install the OS on every unit we sell (plus remove the 40GB model that comes from manufacturing).

Remember a few things when comparing Receptor to PCs: PCs still run Windows and as a result are more unstable (does your PC reboot in 4 seconds?) Receptor is a dedicated plugin player and will give you more polyphony at lower latencies than any PC you could buy. Plus, when buying a PC, you will have to include the cost of a sound card that performs well at very low latencies like the RME HDSP ($599) or Lynx, plus a multi-port MIDI I/O like the Midex 8 ($399) plus a host program like Steinberg V-Stack ($59, online order only). Or maybe, you use a program like GigaStudio Orchestra ($499). To do the ethernet thing, you will need something like FX Teleport ($99), but it only works on PCs....

Thanks guys,

-Ted
TedRackley

Post by TedRackley »

New receptor news!! Just in case you guys are interested:

Muse Research has announced the immediate availability on Receptor, via the User Installable* method, of several of the best commercial plug-ins from Native Instruments, East West and Garritan.

Available to install now, are Absynth 3, Elektrik Piano, Guitar Rig and the Guitar Combos from Native Instruments, Garritan's Personal Orchestra, and Colossus, Bösendorfer 290 and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold Edition from East West!

The "prep" installers for these plug-ins are available from Plugorama's "User Installable" page, along with those already available for Spectrasonics' Atmosphere, Stylus Classic, Stylus RMX, and Trilogy.

Several other NI powered plug-ins are currently under testing and will be added to the user Installable page at Plugorama over the next few weeks, including Kontakt 1.5 and Kontakt 2, so check back soon.

* formerly known as the "unsupported" method.
Jaysplace101

Post by Jaysplace101 »

Great, thanks Ted. What about the uniwire thing. How far out are you on that?

j
OortNYC

Post by OortNYC »

Does it work with Ivory? Minimoog V? Waves Plugs?
I don't quite understand how I would transfer my plugins and the VI libraries over to the Receptor's drives.

Thanks -
mkl...

Post by mkl... »

hi guys, that's my first post on this forum (which is great )
and what about a comparison with the powercore?

excuse my english i'm french (from Paris)... :p
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Has anyone bought and used this product with DP yet? I'm most interested in knowing how well this performs.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Jaysplace101

Post by Jaysplace101 »

me too. Looks great on paper. Would love some reports from those who are using it.

j
Bobbyl

Post by Bobbyl »

Originally posted by Jayman:
me too. Looks great on paper. Would love some reports from those who are using it.

j
I'd be real interested in real world latency and polyphony benchmarks with specific instrument plugs. If it turns out to be cheaper and simpler than doing the same thing with a PC I'd go for it.