CC-1 Two-Way External Communication / OSC / Mackie-Hui, Eucon, etc.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

CC-1 Two-Way External Communication / OSC / Mackie-Hui, Eucon, etc.

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Following the thread of DP 11.1 (which I am really loving after a really busy week...GREAT job MOTU!) I am revisiting something I have tried to figure out for many years.

Can anyone think of two-external-communication with the currently selected track and CC-1?

CC-1 is the new CC-7 with VI developers (Spitfire, Cinesamoles, Vienna, Native instruments, Spectrasonics, etc. etc., etc.).

I have used hardware motorized controllers and also TouchOSC, and people have gotten tow-way external communication with them through Mackie HUI/MCU, but that protocol is outdated (still very handy though) and really only does volume and pan and maybe sends.

I was wondering with the advent of OSC, which I use but actually know little about) if there is some way that we could get the currently selected track to send and receive CC-1 externally?

The little one-fader motorized controllers are great with this (the Presonus, etc.) but again only do volume and pan because they are HUI/MCU (I forget which one) because they immediately pop to the current highlighted track.

Now that CC-1 is so important too anyone who uses VI's, I am trying to think of a way?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: CC-1 Two-Way External Communication / OSC / Mackie-Hui, Eucon, etc.

Post by Michael Canavan »

I got all excited because this seems entirely possible with DP's MIDI plug in, reassign Continuous Data. You basically switch CC7 for CC1 in real time, and supposedly it would work?? Does not, probably because the fader bypasses the plug in and unlike audio and instrument tracks MIDI Tracks do not have pre fader and post fader control.

I've got a Slate Raven here, which "might" make this easier since it sends CC7 to the fader etc., have to check later.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:43 pm I got all excited because this seems entirely possible with DP's MIDI plug in, reassign Continuous Data. You basically switch CC7 for CC1 in real time, and supposedly it would work?? Does not, probably because the fader bypasses the plug in and unlike audio and instrument tracks MIDI Tracks do not have pre fader and post fader control.

I've got a Slate Raven here, which "might" make this easier since it sends CC7 to the fader etc., have to check later.
Hey thanks I'll look at that some more. It sounds intriguing.

I tired something like that with Custom-Consoles, but was never able to get anything working, though I'm not great with computers in general.

But maybe something third-party that translates cc #s in between?

I never thought of doing that.

I do wish Motu would update Custom Consoles. It really looks kind of vintage-Atari-home-computer at this point.

Again, DP 11.1 has been bulletproof for me for a really heavy work-week, which is such a joy! I think it's the most stable DP release I've seen in years. And much snappier than it's ever been too. No pauses or spinning beach-balls.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
dbikel

Post by dbikel »

I realize this is an old thread, but I am also wondering how it might be possible to get two-way communication between an MCU or MCU-compatible device with motorized faders specifically for CC's for VI's (esp. the orchestral ones, Spitfire, etc.).

I think that either custom console would work, or else using Bome's MIDI Translator PRO.

But if anyone has had any luck with a two-way CC controller with DP, I'm all ears! I would love this. Short of that, I'll just get anything with smooth, unmotorized faders to handle "playing" CC's. Right now, I have a cheap Korg Nanokontrol 2, but those faders are really tiny and low quality.