Waveform analyzing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Pier75
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Waveform analyzing

Post by Pier75 »

Hi all,

For a small project I would like to do two things for a guitar signal:
  • Find the point where the magnetic saturation of a pickup is.
When you move a guitar pickup closer to the strings, the output of the pickup increases. However, at some point, there is a magnetic saturation and the output will not increase anymore. I want to find this spot on my guitar.
  • See all the frequencies and their amplitude
The idea is to record a single (dry) note from a guitar string, the low E for instance. The low E is about 82Hz but because of harmonic vibrations, there is a range of frequencies in the audio. I would like to see the active frequencies and their amplitude (like an equalizer graph).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a plugin/plugins that can help me achieve the above?

Thanks! :headbang:
Pier
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waveform analyzing

Post by bayswater »

Many parametric EQ plugins will show you a graph of frequency by amplitude. Eg., click the “FET” button in the Masterworks EQ that comes with DP and you’ll see it during playback.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Pier75
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Pier75 »

Thanks! I tried the MW EQ FET button and it shows me the graph during playback. It goes away after stopping but I will try to find other EQ plugins to see if they can show what I need.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Loop the recording so the graph remains visible. I don’t think you’ll find anything useful that will display a waveform without playback in effect. What would the display show you? The attack? The average? It would only be able to show you the form of a simple wave like a sine wave without playback in effect.

If all you are looking for is the peak, most waveform editors will tell you where the peak is, and its value.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Pier75 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:43 pm Thanks! I tried the MW EQ FET button and it shows me the graph during playback. It goes away after stopping but I will try to find other EQ plugins to see if they can show what I need.
Yeah... I think that's true of any EQ plug I can think of: no playback, no display. Sort of makes sense to me.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, the spectrum changes constantly throughout the decay, and the attack has some non-harmonic noise in it as well. So you may want to find either the point (post attack) where tone & pitch are most stable.

The other little oddity is the inharmonicity which makes the decay so complex and relatively unloopable.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com