Connecting PC sound card audio outputs to Motu M4 inputs

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
agent_x007
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Connecting PC sound card audio outputs to Motu M4 inputs

Post by agent_x007 »

Hello

I will get my M4 in few days, but I would like to double check if I know how to properly connect it.
^I ommited standard 3,5mm TRS cables (for simplicity).

What I think should work :
a) "A" => 2x RCA to TRS => 1x TRS (F) to 2x TS => "I"
(stereo input, should be possible with activating dual monitor function)
b) "A" => 1x 3,5mm TRS to 2x XLR => "I" (?)
c) "A" => 2x RCA to TRS => 1x TRS (F) to 2x TRS => "II" (?)
d) "B" => 3,5mm to 6,3mm adapter => 1x TRS (F) to 2x TRS => "I" (do I need 2x TRS or 2x TS before "I" ?)
(again : stereo input, should be possible with activating dual monitor function)
e) "B" => 3,5mm to 6,3mm adapter => 1x TRS (F) to 2x TS => "II" (not sure for this one, do I need dual TRS or is TS enough ?)
f) "B" (central channel only from 5.1/7.1 system) => 3,5mm to 6,3mm adapter => "I" (single input) (for easy stereo to "mono" mix, but it may require 2.0 to 5.1 upmix or "virtual speaker" setup within sound card driver)

At the moment, I'm not 100% sure if all of them can work without additional equipment (or if they can possibly damage source/motu device [most important point to me]).
Short version : I want to connect my second computer (PC/Windows), to M4 with option to use microphone at one point in future (to put my voice on top of what second PC is outputting).
Which would eliminate use of "I" inputs, but this is where "f" option comes in ;)

Thank you for any help and comments.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Connecting PC sound card audio outputs to Motu M4 inputs

Post by mikehalloran »

Short version : I want to connect my second computer (PC/Windows), to M4 with option to use microphone at one point in future (to put my voice on top of what second PC is outputting).
Ok, we know how you want to do ??? But what are you trying to accomplish?

The reason I ask is that there is no mixer functionality in the M4 — that’s done in your DAW or whatever your audio app is. You have a lot of I/O/Monitor options, however. Knowing the goal will help us understand how you can get there.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

agent_x007 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:31 amI will get my M4 in few days, but I would like to double check if I know how to properly connect it.
Just wanted to let you know that you can now attach images directly to posts and have them appear inline in your post. You don't need to use image hosting services anymore on this board. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
agent_x007

Post by agent_x007 »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:47 am Ok, we know how you want to do ??? But what are you trying to accomplish?

The reason I ask is that there is no mixer functionality in the M4 — that’s done in your DAW or whatever your audio app is. You have a lot of I/O/Monitor options, however. Knowing the goal will help us understand how you can get there.
Overall setup/general idea (nothing fancy) :
Motu 3.png
Motu 3.png (12.79 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
Main question was about connection between "PC 2" and Motu M4 (input selection and cable/adapter types needed). Because I wasn't sure what to buy (I'm new to XLR/Balanced TSR input stuff).

I would like a confirmation on what is best option for me from cable/adapter selection, or are there issues with connecting options that I proposed in my first post.

About monitoring inputs :
All signals go into my main PC through USB port as seperate sources (and channels), where I can select them on seperate tracks, combining them, etc. BUT I want to know if there are any issues before I start to record them (I want to do it on Motu, bypassing any issues made by my main PC).
Motu 2.png
Motu 2.png (30.7 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
^"PC-In" in bottom case, can be done with central speaker signal (probably) ?
In short, I would like to get at least a fast and easy way to check (in real-time) sound quality for both sources on headphones attached on Motu.
OH... I probably won't be able to monitor both Line-In's and front Mic-in, at the same time (?)
(top case in above picture, "stereo monitoring" doesn't work between "1" and 3-4 Line-In inputs).
Preferably, I want to check them on top of each other on M4 (at the same time), but selecting/checking them separately (with button push) - is also fine.
But above monitoring is just a side-question.

Thank you for quick response.

@James Steele Yes, I know. I put it on external service for ease of use later/elsewhere.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What will work depends on your audio outs from your PC 2 sound card — which we don't know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
agent_x007

Post by agent_x007 »

?
Connectors available are in my first post (marked as "A" and "B").
It's 2x RCA (additional sound card, "A"), and build-in standard 3,5mm minijacks on back of the motherboard ("B").
Build-in 3,5mm are just back-up something happends with RCA capable sound card (having cables ready to go is usefull).
But central speaker might be usefull for input (not important at the moment).

I forgot about this cable in my first post :
RCA-TS.png
RCA-TS.png (288.29 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
PS. "Floating ring on TRS" for unbalanced devices is only needed on Output side of M2/M4 and not Input (like Line-in), correct ?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

agent_x007 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm"Floating ring on TRS" for unbalanced devices is only needed on Output side of M2/M4 and not Input (like Line-in), correct ?
Correct!