Farewell to MachFive 3?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

celestial
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Farewell to MachFive 3?

Post by celestial »

Instructions are on page 72 of the MachFive 3 user guide. Choose "Save Program and Samples" and MF3 will create a .ufs file of the program and a folder with the same name that contains any needed samples. You can open that .ufs file in UVI Workstation or Falcon.
Actually that doesn't seem to work for me - I've used that command before - it collects the samples together, but still creates a .M5p file - i.e. a MachFive program preset.

My problem is that I want to convert the hundreds of individual MachFive program presets that I have been creating since MachFive became my main sampler (20 years ago?), replacing Roland S760 hardware machines. At that time I recreated all my presets specially for MachFive. As I said before, I don't use many of them anymore, just occasionally, but it would be nice to be able to load in the programs with multiple samples in them, rather than dragging and dropping individual samples into UVI or Nanosampler...
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
Michael Canavan

Re: Farewell to MachFive 3?

Post by Michael Canavan »

Falcon can read M53 files, pretty sure the UVI Workstation can as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I bought M5 many years ago. I also use Protools and as a user they bundled Falcon with it. When they were about to discontinue the use of Falcon, UVI had an offer to purchase Falcon for $100.00 plus a $100.00 coupon free for a Soundbank. I grabbed it ! I am covered for the future now
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

apanacci wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:25 pm I bought M5 many years ago. I also use Protools and as a user they bundled Falcon with it. When they were about to discontinue the use of Falcon, UVI had an offer to purchase Falcon for $100.00 plus a $100.00 coupon free for a Soundbank. I grabbed it ! I am covered for the future now
The deal for M5 users isn't that generous ($179 when I did it 16 months ago) but it's still pretty good and does include the $100 coupon. To get it, one has to email UVI but everyone here who has done this received the offer.

Although Falcon opens M53 files, there were some certain file formats only supported by MachFive such as Kontakt 4.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
celestial

Post by celestial »

Hi Rick,

This doesn't work for me - it creates a MachFive .M5p program file and a folder with the samples in. Am I missing something?

Does UVI Workstation or Falcon open .M5p program files directly? That will be great - I'll try UVI Workstation... Thanks...

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:47 am
celestial wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:10 am I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how to export M5v3 presets to something that can be read by UVI or even the MOTU nanosampler?
Instructions are on page 72 of the MachFive 3 user guide. Choose "Save Program and Samples" and MF3 will create a .ufs file of the program and a folder with the same name that contains any needed samples. You can open that .ufs file in UVI Workstation or Falcon.
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
celestial

Post by celestial »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:47 am Falcon can read M53 files, pretty sure the UVI Workstation can as well.
Thanks - I will try both, that would be great.
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
celestial

Post by celestial »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:47 am Falcon can read M53 files, pretty sure the UVI Workstation can as well.
Thanks everyone - I got Falcon for the cross-trade deal mentioned above ($179 and you get a $100 voucher), and it opens all M5p and M5m files. UVI Workstation no longer does this. But Falcon is working very well for me at the moment, and I hope for a long time, as I only will use it to open my ancient sample programs. Though having said that - the two volumes of sounds I got with the $100 voucher sound pretty cool at first listen...

btw I also have one (or maybe 2 - hidden away somewhere in the studio) first gen iLoks I don't use anymore...
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

Hello everyone

I'm rather late to this wake, but I learned only recently that MF3 looks to have its bags packed for Deprecation Row and felt compelled to contribute my (deeply perplexed) condolences.

Anticipating that my early '08 Mac Pro tower might not actually live forever, I'm in the course of investigating options forward and discovered -- "luckily," i guess, in advance of any migration -- that MF3 looks like it would not be coming along for the ride. Good to know now, eh?

OK, time marches on; we get to be the pavement under its boots. And OK, perhaps it was totally Unicorn-on-the-cob to ever believe the promised "Apple products will always be backwards compatible" claim (guess that one went out with one-word / one-syllable band names). And so painfully forth.

But, MF3? Sad face. Very.

i'm enjoying MF3, running on OS 10.11.6 -- already a bit beyond what I see listed on the MOTU site as an officially supported OS's (surprise!! Didn't even know that one 'til now). And darn, ya gotta love an interface that's big enough to actually see and use. UVI Workstation... i dunno, feels kinda cramped. To me at least.

MF3, we hardly learned'ya.

Yet it looks as if MOTU is still selling it, so, why, exactly? Is something being planned to replace it?

Yours in Morose,
O2K

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
kilfir
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kilfir »

I ran some test this morning with MachFive 2, MachFive 3 and some Acoustic Samples libraries.

I have tried to run these libraries in M1 Silicon mode on my Mac Studio (Monterey 12.4). Running Falcon v.2.5.6 and UVI Workstation 3.1.5, both in standalone mode.

The error message I got was related to an iLok authorization problem.

So, I have tried to redo the same tests in Rosetta mode for both UVI Falcon & UVI Workstation in standalone mode. And it worked. I was able to load instruments from MF2 & MF3 libraries.

No more iLok error message.

I then run the same tests in DP 11.11 in Rosetta mode and it worked. Falcon & Workstation were able to load MachFive 2 & MachFive 3 instruments and the Acoustic Samples instruments too.

What else can I add.....

Good morning everyone. :-)

Michel Amyot
Mac Studio Ultra (2022) 128 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.4
DP11, Motu MTP/AV USB, Motu 1248
OWC ThunderBay Flex 8, OWC U2 Shuttle
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

kilfir wrote:I ran some test this morning with MachFive 2, MachFive 3 and some Acoustic Samples libraries.

I have tried to run these libraries in M1 Silicon mode on my Mac Studio (Monterey 12.4). Running Falcon v.2.5.6 and UVI Workstation 3.1.5, both in standalone mode.

So, I have tried to redo the same tests in Rosetta mode for both UVI Falcon & UVI Workstation in standalone mode. And it worked. I was able to load instruments from MF2 & MF3 libraries.

I then run the same tests in DP 11.11 in Rosetta mode and it worked. Falcon & Workstation were able to load MachFive 2 & MachFive 3 instruments and the Acoustic Samples instruments too.

What else can I add.....

Michel Amyot
This doesn’t have anything to do with MF2 or MF3… this is an iLok issue. You just need to upgrade iLok License Manager to v5.5 or newer to run on Apple Silicon.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... on-support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Michael Canavan

kilfir wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:33 am I ran some test this morning with MachFive 2, MachFive 3 and some Acoustic Samples libraries.

What else can I add.....

Michel Amyot
So the actual iLok authorization for the M53 included factory libraries does not work in Native, it only works in Rosetta like you discovered. Strike against iLok here, I don't know, but I suspect it's a charge to update the libraries to authorize on Monterey and the M1? this isn't an issue with other library authorization schemes.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A subset of the MV3 factory libraries is included with DP 10 and 11. Those do run Native in the latest UVI Workstation on an M1—at least in DP 11. I haven’t seen if there’s a way to make the rest of them run without Rosetta. I’ll have some time this week to check that out. May be a licensing issue between DP 11 and UVI since I have Falcon also.

First, I have to figure out a repeatable test.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:11 pm A subset of the MV3 factory libraries is included with DP 10 and 11. Those do run Native in the latest UVI Workstation on an M1—at least in DP 11. I haven’t seen if there’s a way to make the rest of them run without Rosetta. I’ll have some time this week to check that out. May be a licensing issue between DP 11 and UVI since I have Falcon also.

First, I have to figure out a repeatable test.
So it's pretty clear here at least, Apple Silicon native versions of UVI Workstation will not see the libraries directly linked to M53, so the only library that came with my copy of M53 that works with Apple Silicon native applications is Xtreme FX, which is a "UVI" product and has it's own iLok authorization. Talking with one of the library developers this is what they said:
The UFS soundbanks provided with MachFive3 use a legacy PACE authorization format which is not natively compatible with the new ARM M1 Macs, so you can only load the soundbanks if you use UVI Workstation under Rosetta.
If you email them they will sell you the updated iLok authorization etc. for $25 or so.

UVI Workstation stand alone in Rosetta works.
I just tried opening up the M53 libraries with UVI in Rosetta and it did not work, but opening up DP in Rosetta and you can use the M53 libraries. I'm wondering if some earlier version of the AU for UVI might do the trick?
Michael Canavan

OK this is cool! I took the non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU from the Mac Pro here (version 3.0.17) and installed it in the Components folder. So it works with the latest UVI Workstation application in your Applications folder. The non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU plug in opens the iLok protected M53 factory libraries on the M1 Air with DP11.11 in native Apple Silicon.

So maybe a few more years out of the libraries. :headbang:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 pm OK this is cool! I took the non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU from the Mac Pro here (version 3.0.17) and installed it in the Components folder. So it works with the latest UVI Workstation application in your Applications folder. The non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU plug in opens the iLok protected M53 factory libraries on the M1 Air with DP11.11 in native Apple Silicon.

So maybe a few more years out of the libraries. :headbang:
Way cool, indeed!

I’m missing something, though. Is just having UVI AU 3.0.17 in the Components folder enough or do you make calls to it?