Farewell to MachFive 3?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Farewell to MachFive 3?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 pm OK this is cool! I took the non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU from the Mac Pro here (version 3.0.17) and installed it in the Components folder. So it works with the latest UVI Workstation application in your Applications folder. The non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU plug in opens the iLok protected M53 factory libraries on the M1 Air with DP11.11 in native Apple Silicon.

So maybe a few more years out of the libraries. :headbang:
Thank you!

***Saving this for the day I migrate to an Apple Silicon-based workstation***

BUT… one more thing to try (if you're interested): Did you look for updates to these UFS files at the UVI or Acoustic Samples websites? I found some updates to these which worked with UVI Workstation and Falcon but which will NOT play on MachFive 3. I don't have an Apple Silicon computer to test this on, but I wonder if those updates would work on the newer Apple machines.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Rick Cornish wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:21 am
Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 pm OK this is cool! I took the non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU from the Mac Pro here (version 3.0.17) and installed it in the Components folder. So it works with the latest UVI Workstation application in your Applications folder. The non Universal Binary version of the UVI Workstation AU plug in opens the iLok protected M53 factory libraries on the M1 Air with DP11.11 in native Apple Silicon.

So maybe a few more years out of the libraries. :headbang:
Thank you!

***Saving this for the day I migrate to an Apple Silicon-based workstation***

BUT… one more thing to try (if you're interested): Did you look for updates to these UFS files at the UVI or Acoustic Samples websites? I found some updates to these which worked with UVI Workstation and Falcon but which will NOT play on MachFive 3. I don't have an Apple Silicon computer to test this on, but I wonder if those updates would work on the newer Apple machines.
Yeah the more modern UFS files will not work in M53, but I don't think I understand your question really? I haven't installed M53 on the Apple Silicon M1 Mac Air here, so I don't know if it works at all, obviously it would run in Rosetta, which to me kinda kills any excitement I might have using it, and it's likely that other things do not function well in it either.

What I'm talking about is the iLok protected library content that comes bundled with M53, from Acoustic Samples etc. these are all tied to the deprecated iLok license, the iLok license for that only likes the older non binary UVI Workstation AU Component, which when run in Rosetta will read the libraries.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
hellcat

Post by hellcat »

I too am highly disatisfied with the way MOTU has handled transitioning their software to their new macs. They say "it works with UVI player", but it doesn't, and even after contacting UVI about this, they informed me that indeed MOTU's files for virtual instruments DO NOT WORK on the new UVI player software. On my M1 Max Powerbook it crashes, and if I run DP11 under Rosetta, that crashes the whole system.

MOTU is making a huge mistake here in not addressing the need to patch their software to work with the new MAC OS and M1/M2 chips. Frankly, their excuses are now ridiculous. Having paid quite a lot of money in investing in their software, I've found that I've had to leave these virtual instruments and go to other software companies instead, who have not balked at upgrading their software. So why has MOTU taken so long, and seems to be stalling in all of this? This is a really bad way to treat their customers, who have been faithful to them for many years. Bad customer policy. I can understand them needing maybe 4 months, but this has gone on far too long now. In a highly competitive DAW market, this is the very worst type of business practice that MOTU can do -- •••• on their existing customers who had no choice but to buy new macs.

I've started turning my back on MOTU because of this. Not cool at all.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

hellcat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:04 am I too am highly disatisfied with the way MOTU has handled transitioning their software to their new macs. …

MOTU is making a huge mistake here in not addressing the need to patch their software to work with the new MAC OS and M1/M2 chips. Frankly, their excuses are now ridiculous. Having paid quite a lot of money in investing in their software, I've found that I've had to leave these virtual instruments and go to other software companies instead, who have not balked at upgrading their software. So why has MOTU taken so long, and seems to be stalling in all of this? This is a really bad way to treat their customers, who have been faithful to them for many years. Bad customer policy. I can understand them needing maybe 4 months, but this has gone on far too long now. In a highly competitive DAW market, this is the very worst type of business practice that MOTU can do -- •••• on their existing customers who had no choice but to buy new macs.

I've started turning my back on MOTU because of this. Not cool at all.
This is a users’ board; none of us work for MOTU. Howling at the moon may get you a little sympathy but it won’t change anything.

MachFive libraries were licensed from UVI in an arrangement that ended nearly seven years ago by my estimation. There has never been an official announcement. Any such arrangement will include provisions on what can and cannot be done with the source code when the agreement ends (I used to deal with this stuff for a living). You can bet with absolute certainty that, as systems evolve, UVI’s license does not let MOTU continue development in a way that lets them compete with UVI. I’m surprised that MOTU was still allowed to sell it but they no longer do.

Michael Canavan has figured out how to run the libraries on an M1 Mac. Elegant? No but it works. UVI’s Falcon 2 is a major upgrade to MachFive and there’s a discount for M5 owners if you email and ask for it.

So be disappointed — we all are. Complain about the money spent — we all do. It’s time to move on. How you do it is up to you.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

kilfir wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:33 am I ran some test this morning with MachFive 2, MachFive 3 and some Acoustic Samples libraries.

I have tried to run these libraries in M1 Silicon mode on my Mac Studio (Monterey 12.4). Running Falcon v.2.5.6 and UVI Workstation 3.1.5, both in standalone mode.

The error message I got was related to an iLok authorization problem.

So, I have tried to redo the same tests in Rosetta mode for both UVI Falcon & UVI Workstation in standalone mode. And it worked. I was able to load instruments from MF2 & MF3 libraries.

No more iLok error message.

I then run the same tests in DP 11.11 in Rosetta mode and it worked. Falcon & Workstation were able to load MachFive 2 & MachFive 3 instruments and the Acoustic Samples instruments too.

What else can I add.....

Good morning everyone. :-)

Michel Amyot
In the process of getting my new Mac Studio Ultra fully operational.

Just confirmed loading M52 & M53 libraries will load in Rosetta mode for Falcon 2.82 (Both standalone & within DP 11.21 Rosetta mode). Looks like I'll be operating in this mode mode for any projects revisited from the last twenty years. However, Falcon WILL load in Native mode any M5 presets that were 3rd party or originally programmed. Guess it's time to create a new mega orchestral template in Native mode for future projects. Interesting to see what still works from the ever reliable MP 5.1 from 2011.

Dan V.
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
James Steele
Site Administrator

Farewell to MachFive 3?

Post by James Steele »

Or you can download and install UVI Workstation 3.0.25 which will automatically use Rosetta 2 (WHILE DP 11 is running native) and open all the same libraries. Reserve Falcon for the newer libraries that don’t have issues.

Actually, there’s another thread where you can download the UVI workstation 3.0.25 installer. I’ll find it and comeback and post. 3.0.25 was the last version before UVI added Apple Silicon code, so it will run in Rosetta while DP runs native and will open the older MF3 library volumes.

Here’s the link to the post:

viewtopic.php?p=598509&hilit=UVIwOrkstation#p598509
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

James Steele wrote:Or you can download and install UVI Workstation 3.0.25 which will automatically use Rosetta 2 (WHILE DP 11 is running native) and open all the same libraries. Reserve Falcon for the newer libraries that don’t have issues.

Actually, there’s another thread where you can download the UVI workstation 3.0.25 installer. I’ll find it and comeback and post. 3.0.25 was the last version before UVI added Apple Silicon code, so it will run in Rosetta while DP runs native and will open the older MF3 library volumes.

I’ll try that approach.

Thanks.

DV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Bsically until that version of UVI Workstation doesn't work in Mac OS or an update, it's a viable solution to the problem, it literally was trial and error on mine and a few folks who had figured out that it's some sort of tag for older iLok licenses is missing from Apple Silicon native plug ins, and the latest Rosetta versions. If Apple itself translates an older AU that doesn't have any tags for Rosetta etc. it keeps the older tags for iLok licenses for MachFive libraries, which you can see in your iLok account.
:x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Yeah...I came to the same conclusion. After attempting to 'Save Preset/Multi & Samples As....' within Falcon (on the MP 5.1)in the hope of being able to load into the new M1 version, the samples simply were not there. It came down to the earlier iLok/Licensing issue.
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

James Steele wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:24 pm Or you can download and install UVI Workstation 3.0.25 which will automatically use Rosetta 2 (WHILE DP 11 is running native) and open all the same libraries. Reserve Falcon for the newer libraries that don’t have issues.

I'm happy to report that UVI Workstation 3.0.25 happily loads all Mach Five 2 & 3 libraries within DP (Native). I can use Falcon for everything else. All playing real nice together. Bravo James. Next time you're in Charlotte, I got your bar tab.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

VitcoMusic wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:25 am
James Steele wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:24 pm Or you can download and install UVI Workstation 3.0.25 which will automatically use Rosetta 2 (WHILE DP 11 is running native) and open all the same libraries. Reserve Falcon for the newer libraries that don’t have issues.

I'm happy to report that UVI Workstation 3.0.25 happily loads all Mach Five 2 & 3 libraries within DP (Native). I can use Falcon for everything else. All playing real nice together. Bravo James. Next time you're in Charlotte, I got your bar tab.
Ha! I’m tempted to fly there just to take you up on it! :) I’m glad it worked out. IMHO, this seems to be the best solution for the time being.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BongoBean

Post by BongoBean »

I've think I've read most of the posts on the demise of M53, but I haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for yet.

I can open new blank projects in DP 11.11, open an instance of UVI Workstation ver. 3.1.5 and access all my old M53 Soundbanks and Loops, but if I try to open an old project or template that has any instance(s) of M53, it crashes DP on opening.

My question is, is there a way to "remove" or delete the M53 instances from a project or template without opening them? celestial mentioned "The only way open these old projects is to delete the M5v3 component, then the old projects should still open with a blank space where M5v3 was in VE Pro", but I don't know how to do that.

It goes without saying that I'd like to have access to all those projects and templates-------and I'm quite prepared to go in there and replace the M53 instances with UVI instances, but how to do that if the project crashes DP on opening?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
2022 Mac Studio Max, 10 Core, 64 GB RAM
OS Monterey Ver 12.4
DP ver. 11.11
Apogee Duet2
MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

BongoBean wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:30 pm"The only way open these old projects is to delete the M5v3 component, then the old projects should still open with a blank space where M5v3 was in VE Pro", but I don't know how to do that.
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

or

/Users/YourName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Farewell to MachFive 3?

Post by James Steele »

Launch DP holding down the shift key. That should launch DP in MIDI only mode.

Open the project and disable the VI tracks that have instances of MF3 on them by clicking the little blue ball in the “ENA” column in the Tracks Overview.

Go to Hardware Setup and change back to MOTU Audio System.

You should then be able to see all the instances of your audio plug ins and delete them or replace with Falcon or UVI Workstation as appropriate. Then reenable the track.

(If that’s wrong forgive me. On an airplane at the moment and can’t try this right now.)

BongoBean

Post by BongoBean »

Thanks monkey man and James for the quick replies!

monkey man, so far that's working. I'm now able to open projects containing M53. Thanks for that help!

James, thanks for replying while in mid-flight. The snag I ran into with your suggestion is that since DP is launched MIDI-only, there are no ENA blue buttons that appear in Tracks Overview. (in fact the column for ENA doesn't appear unless I create an audio track, but then there's only a blue button for that track, not for any of the VI's) But I fully understand you were trying to pull it out of memory without the ability to try it out so I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

Thanks to you both-----I'm hoping I can move forward now with monkey man's suggestion. : )
2022 Mac Studio Max, 10 Core, 64 GB RAM
OS Monterey Ver 12.4
DP ver. 11.11
Apogee Duet2
MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface