Farewell to MachFive 3?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Farewell to MachFive 3?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Am I the only MachFive 3 user who didn’t know it doesn't run in Big Sur or Catalina?

I recently bought Falcon to replace MF3 and was going to just delete MF3 from my system until I remembered MF3 has the unique capability of generating .iso files from sample CDs and translating Kurzweil, Akai, E-mu (and more) samples to .ufs files that are readable by Falcon (and the free UVI Workstation). For someone like me who has dozens of sample CDs, many of which contain still-useful content, this is a very handy little tool to have around.

That’s when I discovered MF3 no longer works on my system, which is running Big Sur. The standalone version and the version that used to work from within DP both crash upon launch.

When I contacted MOTU, they wouldn’t **definitively** say MF3 has been abandoned, but two different support guys told me it's unlikely that they’d do further development on it.
“While I cannot 100% confirm, I would not expect there to be a compatibility update released any time soon.”
MOTU has clearly posted on their site…
MOTU Virtual Instruments and Big Sur or Later
MachFive, Ethno Instrument, BPM, Electric Keys, and Symphonic Instrument (any version) are not yet compatible with macOS Big Sur or later.
As a workaround, the UVI Workstation instrument (free) can read the soundbank libraries from all of these products and can be installed on macOS Big Sur.
I’m now in the process of trying to resurrect an old MacBook Air to run MF3 under High Sierra, just to translate sample CDs when I need them.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Farewell to MachFive 3?

Post by James Steele »

Yikes. It seems like more and more we're going to need to keep older Macs around for situations like this. I'm looking at getting a Mac Studio later this year (if all works out). I'm currently on Mojave. I've been busy lately doing the tedious work of opening projects and replacing instances of old plugs (many which don't work anymore) with their newer versions.

I don't know why MOTU is so cagey about MF3's status. I've been just assuming it was going to be a dead end. As I mentioned, I've been going through older projects and replacing every MachFive 3 instance I find with Falcon and then loading the instruments into that. (UVI just put out an update to Falcon a day or two ago, BTW.) Strangely, old projects that were using UVI Workstation load with the newer version of UVI Workstation, but often the instruments are missing. That's not really relevant to your post I guess. Just sharing.

I do know that when I do get around to transitioning to a Mac Studio, I'm going to be keeping my older Intel Mojave machine around for some time. It's crazy... I already have two cheesegraters in a closet that have been their for years... one is probably a G5. LOL. I need to recycle that or use it for a space heater. :P
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:34 pmI’m now in the process of trying to resurrect an old MacBook Air to run MF3 under High Sierra, just to translate sample CDs when I need them.
I do think MF3 will run under Mojave as well. It sucks that we continually lose capabilities in *new* software. I have an extensive database in Bento and for that reason I have a MacPro in my office that will never move past High Sierra unless I want to attempt to migrate the database over to something more cumbersome and less elegant.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:51 pm
Rick Cornish wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:34 pmI’m now in the process of trying to resurrect an old MacBook Air to run MF3 under High Sierra, just to translate sample CDs when I need them.
I do think MF3 will run under Mojave as well. It sucks that we continually lose capabilities in *new* software. I have an extensive database in Bento and for that reason I have a MacPro in my office that will never move past High Sierra unless I want to attempt to migrate the database over to something more cumbersome and less elegant.
The old MacBook Air I have is a 2011 model that will only go up to High Sierra, which would be fine for MachFive 3, if I can get it working. I’ve been trying to rebuild it in recovery mode, but have been unsuccessful thus far.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I hear ya. Mind is a 2009 MacPro4,1 that was flashed to a 5,1 and somehow or another I have Mojave on it, but yeah... the older the OS the better when it comes to MachFive3. I can't even remember when it was last updated. Maybe you can build a HighSierra USB installer? Good luck!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:03 pm
James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:51 pm
The old MacBook Air I have is a 2011 model that will only go up to High Sierra, which would be fine for MachFive 3, if I can get it working. I’ve been trying to rebuild it in recovery mode, but have been unsuccessful thus far.
Did you start with a new SSD? If not, that’s where to start. Make a bootable flash drive or external for the installer.

You may need to boot into Recovery first and reset the clock in Terminal to a date in 2017–18 before the OS will install. It will reset correctly after the OS is installed and you connect to the internet. I have the instructions somewhere if you need it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:15 am Did you start with a new SSD? If not, that’s where to start. Make a bootable flash drive or external for the installer.

You may need to boot into Recovery first and reset the clock in Terminal to a date in 2017–18 before the OS will install. It will reset correctly after the OS is installed and you connect to the internet. I have the instructions somewhere if you need it.
Thanks, Mike—as always!

I had a devil of a time finding a full installer for High Sierra and recovery mode didn't find the installer either. I finally found a link to the HS installer last night (had to download it on my 2013=vintage Mac Pro as my 2016 MacBook Pro wouldn't let me) and I'm building a startup USB drive with Install Disk Creator as I write this. 🤞🏻
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Reinstall MacOS in Recovery Mode installs a copy of your current MacOS

Internet Recovery (spinning globe) will install the OS your Mac came with originally — if it was OS 10.7 or later. For most Macs, this means 2012. Your original MacOS can be checked at https://everymac.com/. There are some situations where Internet Recovery does not work.

If the Mac was reset using Configurator, Internet Recovery will install the latest MacOS. Been there recently.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:35 pm Reinstall MacOS in Recovery Mode installs a copy of your current MacOS

Internet Recovery (spinning globe) will install the OS your Mac came with originally — if it was OS 10.7 or later. For most Macs, this means 2012. Your original MacOS can be checked at https://everymac.com/. There are some situations where Internet Recovery does not work.

If the Mac was reset using Configurator, Internet Recovery will install the latest MacOS. Been there recently.
Yeah.... Internet Recovery was a no-go. Said it "couldn't find the server" to reinstall HS. My bootable USB drive did the trick. The upshot is, I'm there now and did a test import, which worked flawlessly. The only hitch is MF3 requires iLok—and not an iLok license to the host computer, but a physical iLok itself, so I have to unplug the iLok from my Mac Pro in order to boot MF3 on my MBAir. It's a small inconvenience, but I'm back up with a MF3 conversion system.
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:50 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:35 pm Reinstall MacOS in Recovery Mode installs a copy of your current MacOS

Yeah.... Internet Recovery was a no-go. Said it "couldn't find the server" to reinstall HS. My bootable USB drive did the trick. The upshot is, I'm there now and did a test import, which worked flawlessly. The only hitch is MF3 requires iLok—and not an iLok license to the host computer, but a physical iLok itself, so I have to unplug the iLok from my Mac Pro in order to boot MF3 on my MBAir. It's a small inconvenience, but I'm back up with a MF3 conversion system.
For older VIs like MachFive3 I think you can get by with the original style iLok dongle, yes? If so, I may have a couple laying around that one of the PACE folks gave me at a MOTU-MAC/MOTUnation NAMM dinner many moons ago. If you want, I can rummage around for one and mail it to you. I think I have some that have not been registered to any account yet. It could save you from having to do the swapperoo.

This reminds me... I lament how often it seems that "new, improved" software loses capabilities. I wonder why UVI couldn't have built that into Falcon?

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:17 pm For older VIs like MachFive3 I think you can get by with the original style iLok dongle, yes? If so, I may have a couple laying around that one of the PACE folks gave me at a MOTU-MAC/MOTUnation NAMM dinner many moons ago. If you want, I can rummage around for one and mail it to you. I think I have some that have not been registered to any account yet. It could save you from having to do the swapperoo.
Hey, James…..
Oh, man…. If you have a spare iLok laying around, that would be sweet. It’s not the end of the world to switch, but it’s a pain to have to wait while that old MacBook Air does it’s thing. I’ll PM you my mailing address in case you happen to find it. Thanks!
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:
James Steele wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:17 pm For older VIs like MachFive3 I think you can get by with the original style iLok dongle, yes? If so, I may have a couple laying around that one of the PACE folks gave me at a MOTU-MAC/MOTUnation NAMM dinner many moons ago. If you want, I can rummage around for one and mail it to you. I think I have some that have not been registered to any account yet. It could save you from having to do the swapperoo.
Hey, James…..
Oh, man…. If you have a spare iLok laying around, that would be sweet. It’s not the end of the world to switch, but it’s a pain to have to wait while that old MacBook Air does it’s thing. I’ll PM you my mailing address in case you happen to find it. Thanks!
Mailed it today. Image

celestial

Post by celestial »

I've still got M5v3 working on Mojave, but just discovered that it crashes the new iLok version of VE Pro - unfortunately I have hundreds of old projects that may have to be revived if clients wish, which have M5v3 in VE Pro. The only way open these old projects is to delete the M5v3 component, then the old projects should still open with a blank space where M5v3 was in VE Pro.

I don't really use it much anymore, but have some nice old fx sounds from 20-30 years ago, some I made, some from E2 etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how to export M5v3 presets to something that can be read by UVI or even the MOTU nanosampler?
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

celestial wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:10 am I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how to export M5v3 presets to something that can be read by UVI or even the MOTU nanosampler?
Instructions are on page 72 of the MachFive 3 user guide. Choose "Save Program and Samples" and MF3 will create a .ufs file of the program and a folder with the same name that contains any needed samples. You can open that .ufs file in UVI Workstation or Falcon.
Rick Cornish

celestial

Post by celestial »

Thank you Rick, so simple! I guess i should have looked:)
Macbook Pro, DP11.1