MOTU Pro Audio Firmware Update 1.4.0 now available!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU Pro Audio Firmware Update 1.4.0 now available!

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:13 am Well, I've had that same unsolved problem, and it's not solved. I'd say it's about 80% of the time, kernel panic restart at shutdown. There's been another 20% of the time the system boots up and doesn't see the 16A. I've suspected the USB-C/TB converter.
Hmmm... I'm using the Apple branded one. I believe it converts TB3 to TB2 or something? Anyway, have you tried turning off any MOTU interfaces that are connected to the Mac Studio via TB *before* shutting down the Mac?

I have a MOTU 828es with a MOTU 24Ai daisy chained off the back of the 828es via Ethernet (AVB). If I power down the 828es prior to shutting down the Mac Studio, I *never* have the rebooting problem. I've reported to MOTU and they should be able to reproduce and investigate on their end.

ADDENDUM: As we all know... nothing it seems works perfectly, so remembering to shut down the 828es before shutting down my Mac is an acceptable workaround to me for now. I bought two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0812 ... UTF8&psc=1

... and I installed one in each of the left and right rack bays built into my studio desk, so I can power on/off various effects our outboard gear with a switch on these units. I'm actually very happy with the build quality. Switches are sturdy... there's an LED that indicates if power is on or off. There's an "always on" outlet front and back and two USB charging ports of the front, although be forewarned... they'll charge a phone but they won't charge an iPad. :( Anyway... I just flip the switch for the power to the 828es on that before powering down.

As an aside, I was very happy to discover that if I hooked up my Samsung 43" 4K TV that I'm using for my main monitor to one of the outlets, I can turn the TV on of this way. I do not need to use the TV remote as I did when I just kept the TV connected to constant power. It seems like the Samsung is designed so if it's not seeing power and the plug, and then it's turned on, it turns on the TV! Great thinking by the engineers there!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:59 am
EMRR wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:13 am Well, I've had that same unsolved problem, and it's not solved. I'd say it's about 80% of the time, kernel panic restart at shutdown. There's been another 20% of the time the system boots up and doesn't see the 16A. I've suspected the USB-C/TB converter.
Hmmm... I'm using the Apple branded one. I believe it converts TB3 to TB2 or something? Anyway, have you tried turning off any MOTU interfaces that are connected to the Mac Studio via TB *before* shutting down the Mac?

I have a MOTU 828es with a MOTU 24Ai daisy chained off the back of the 828es via Ethernet (AVB). If I power down the 828es prior to shutting down the Mac Studio, I *never* have the rebooting problem. I've reported to MOTU and they should be able to reproduce and investigate on their end.

ADDENDUM: As we all know... nothing it seems works perfectly, so remembering to shut down the 828es before shutting down my Mac is an acceptable workaround to me for now. I bought two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0812 ... UTF8&psc=1

adjpowerbar.png
adjpowerbar.png (83.21 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

... and I installed one in each of the left and right rack bays built into my studio desk, so I can power on/off various effects our outboard gear with a switch on these units. Yeah... it's "American DJ"... ugh... but at least it says "ADJ" on the front and I'm actually very happy with the build quality. Switches are sturdy... there's an LED that indicates if power is on or off. There's an "always on" outlet front and back and two USB charging ports of the front, although be forewarned... they'll charge a phone but they won't charge an iPad. :( Anyway... I just flip the switch for the power to the 828es on that before powering down.

As an aside, I was very happy to discover that if I hooked up my Samsung 43" 4K TV that I'm using for my main monitor to one of the outlets, I can turn the TV on of this way. I do not need to use the TV remote as I did when I just kept the TV connected to constant power. It seems like the Samsung is designed so if it's not seeing power and the plug, and then it's turned on, it turns on the TV! Great thinking by the engineers there!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Turning off the 16A first does look like the cure.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:59 am Turning off the 16A first does look like the cure.
Excellent! How was it connected to the Mac? Thunderbolt? If so, yep... that's what I'm experiencing. Turning off a connected MOTU TB audio interface before shutting down fixes it.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

TB via apple adapter
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote:TB via apple adapter
Same here.

theMidiTamer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by theMidiTamer »

Wish I found this thread earlier... I just tried updating the new firmware, and first got a "Error message received from server: Update failed to upload into device. Please try again (Code 403)" in my browser, followed by the message "Not found" after clicking the Ok button.

Now I downloaded the update file and tried making the update manually, using the MOTU Discovery app, but my interface is now stuck with the display saying "Update in progress... Downloading...". I don't know if it safe to turn it off and on again...

I'm attaching an image. Didn't realize how faulty this procedure is until reading the whole thread.
Attachments
IMG_11731.jpg
IMG_11731.jpg (243.23 KiB) Viewed 1498 times