Logic VS DP in the new mac studio?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Kurt Cowling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Logic VS DP in the new mac studio?

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Those functions are also available in MainStage. I use the chord trigger quite a bit when programming for pit orchestra stuff. Gets a bit much when used in a sound with fast attack, as all the attacks fall exactly together in an unnatural way, but for strings and such it’s great. I don’t use the arpeggiator much.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Kurt Cowling wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:44 am Those functions are also available in MainStage. I use the chord trigger quite a bit when programming for pit orchestra stuff. Gets a bit much when used in a sound with fast attack, as all the attacks fall exactly together in an unnatural way, but for strings and such it’s great. I don’t use the arpeggiator much.
Chord triggering is also available inside DP via an excellent freeware/abandonware VST called MIDIchords.

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1642/

It is a fantastic plugin, and I've got my fingers crossed I'll be able to use it with the M1 MBP.

Meanwhile... back to the thread
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:05 pm I thoroughly enjoying DP on my Studio Ultra. Currently leaving the buffer at 128 and opening files as part of an ongoing project that strained the old Mac Pro severely at higher buffers...
I've been running my buffer at 32 with my iMac Pro without strain. Pushing it to 16 was a no-go. Just sayin'…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:58 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:05 pm I thoroughly enjoying DP on my Studio Ultra. Currently leaving the buffer at 128 and opening files as part of an ongoing project that strained the old Mac Pro severely at higher buffers...
I've been running my buffer at 32 with my iMac Pro without strain. Pushing it to 16 was a no-go. Just sayin'…
That's great Mike.

Back to work.
Black-Man

Post by Black-Man »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:05 pm I thoroughly enjoying DP on my Studio Ultra. Currently leaving the buffer at 128 and opening files as part of an ongoing project that strained the old Mac Pro severely at higher buffers... the new Mac isn't breaking a sweat and is super responsive graphically, which is often what was bogging me down with the older machine.

I don't plan on doing any scientific testing; I'll leave that to the YouTubers and other interested folk. Just gonna' use and enjoy the Mac Studio and get work done.
Buffer at 128 seem to be the sweet spot? I was so used to using 512 on my Mac Pro - it never dawned on me to go to 128.
Mac Studio Max, 828es, DP 11
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

I'm using DP 11 on a mac mini M1, which is the same chip as in the Studio (isnt it?) and aside from a couple of quit at startup issues (which have gone away for now, and I have no idea what caused them) it runs without any problems, so based on my experience, DP is perfectly compatible.

Might Logic be even more so? No clue. :wink:

Gavin
(If someone already more or less said this, sorry. Didnt read the whole thing)
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Black-Man wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:51 am …Buffer at 128 seem to be the sweet spot? I was so used to using 512 on my Mac Pro - it never dawned on me to go to 128.
The sweet spot depends on your usage and you'll have to find it for yourself. The Studio (at least on paper) blows away my 18 Core iMac Pro. I ran both my 14 Core and 18 Core at a 32 buffer size but I rarely run over 100 tracks of audio and 40–60 VI tracks since the pandemic began.
I'm using DP 11 on a mac mini M1, which is the same chip as in the Studio (isnt it?)
Same M1 chip family but with more processor and GPU cores and RAM and the ability to have up to 8TB storage onboard. As long as you only need one or two display monitors, an M1 Mini should be able to run fairly beefy DP projects.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro