Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

What a stunningly elegant new look!! I really like it!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Re: Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

Post by bayswater »

Very nice. Snappier too. Is there anything else that’s new besides appearance?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:Very nice. Snappier too. Is there anything else that’s new besides appearance?
Not really. Updated the board to the latest version of phpBB, but nothing major.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh, I am going to fix the forum icons on the main page-- the ones that look like old DP9 icons. Not only are we in DP11 now, but there was a change with the board software a while back that made those icons appear in addition to the stock forum icons, not instead of. That's why you see the generic icon plus the DP icon to the right of it. I may either update them to reflect DP11, or just lose them because I don't like having to have both.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Did some digging and found a fix for the duplicate forum icons and then updated the relevant forum icons to snazzy DP11 icons. :)

dix

Post by dix »

Looks great James! Much more permanent looking. Had to update the color of my avatar and sig, but np.

I actually dig the basic, un-frivolousness of MN. The only feature I covet from other forums is the ability to "Like" a post. It can be irritating to get an email notification for a topic I'm following, only to login and find just a " :D " and nothing else. ...The ability to react to posts would cut down on that behavior.

But overall a very nice upgrade James. Thank you.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks. Yeah, I’d been meaning to do this for a while, so I whipped up something late last night. It’s a third party “theme” called Carbon that I made some very minor tweaks to. Maybe if I’d done this sooner there’s still be a Sweetwater banner up top?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote:The only feature I covet from other forums is the ability to "Like" a post. It can be irritating to get an email notification for a topic I'm following, only to login and find just a " :D " and nothing else. ...The ability to react to posts would cut down on that behavior.
I’ll look into it. This board is based on a free open source board software called phpBB. They have a site at https://phpbb.com

Since I’m not a programmer I’m at the mercy of whatever the development team feels are worthy features to add. There are third-party tweaks called “extensions” available that can add other features. I used one of those to get rid of the redundant forum icons on the main page. I’ll have to investigate what’s available and see if I can add it without affecting stability.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'll pile on with kudos for the update James... Great Job, and Thank You!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:I'll pile on with kudos for the update James... Great Job, and Thank You!
Thanks man! Since you’re one of the regulars here I was eager for you log on and get your reaction. It was long overdue. Real life was intervening as it always seems to do. :lol:

dix

Post by dix »

James Steele wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:42 pm
dix wrote:The only feature I covet from other forums is the ability to "Like" a post. It can be irritating to get an email notification for a topic I'm following, only to login and find just a " :D " and nothing else. ...The ability to react to posts would cut down on that behavior.
I’ll look into it. This board is based on a free open source board software called phpBB. They have a site at https://phpbb.com

Since I’m not a programmer I’m at the mercy of whatever the development team feels are worthy features to add. There are third-party tweaks called “extensions” available that can add other features. I used one of those to get rid of the redundant forum icons on the main page. I’ll have to investigate what’s available and see if I can add it without affecting stability.
:D
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thanks for updating the software James.

Only two minor "gripes":

The contrast between post text and background could be better, IOW darker grey for the latter.
As many here would agree, "likes" would be handy.

Well done brother. :headbang:

EDIT:
I've learned over the years that the emojis will look better against a darker or black background. Just a bonus.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote:The contrast between post text and background could be better, IOW darker grey for the latter.
Yeah. Not sure I’m going to be able to do anything about that.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I hear ya bro'. I'd be in the same boat if I were you.

The 3rd-party-created (or otherwise) theme can be edited but some sort of knowledge of HTML is required. With any luck you'll stumble upon a theme one day that nails this particular aspect of the UI.

Pity, 'cause other than that, I really like it.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote:I hear ya bro'. I'd be in the same boat if I were you.

The 3rd-party-created (or otherwise) theme can be edited but some sort of knowledge of HTML is required. With any luck you'll stumble upon a theme one day that nails this particular aspect of the UI.

Pity, 'cause other than that, I really like it.
Okay. Let me put it this way. I know some HTML and usually it involves digging through style sheets and finding the color value. I’m FINE with how it is and I don’t plan to go searching through other themes since so far I only have one objection to it. It looks fine to me. If I have extra time to go digging through the theme files and adjust that color I will, but it’s not exactly a priority right now. I could just revert to the old one if you’d prefer.