Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:Now, back to working in Beyond Black v2.
Can’t wait to see it!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I did some more tweaks with the backgrounds last night. Try deleting your browser cache (being careful not to delete cookies, history, etc.) and you should see backgrounds are even a bit more dark than the last tweaks I made.

Also, I added an extension that forces links that go to other sites to open in a new tab. Always bugged the heck out of me that the default was to open an offsite link in the same browser window and having to remember to right-click all the time.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I finally got this sorted out. You can now attach explanatory graphics, etc. in your posts and place them "inline" in the body of your message. It's self explanatory. When you start a new post you'll see an "Attachments" tab next to the usual "Options" tab. You can click that and then choose up to 3 files/images to upload. After you upload the file/image, you can choose where to place it in the post by placing the cursor there, then going down the the file list and clicking the "Place inline" button and it will insert a line of code like this:

Code: Select all

[attachment=0]mygraphic.jpg[/attachment]
To demonstrate this works, below is a DP11 pic. Note: please do not abuse this feature by posting memes and silly graphics. If you want to do that, link to those offsite. I'm enabling this feature primarily to assist people who need to attach pictures showing a problem with a piece of hardware, or a screen capture from DP to help explain a concept or solve a problem, etc.

dp11.png
dp11.png (92.3 KiB) Viewed 562 times

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Well done James!

Now I can finally post those pics I couldn't upload the other day to help illustrate where I was coming from about text "popping":

VI Control
VI Control.jpg
VI Control.jpg (110.37 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Rig Talk
Rig Talk.jpg
Rig Talk.jpg (180.57 KiB) Viewed 535 times

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. I think I’ve gone as dark on the backgrounds as I’m going to go.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

No worries brother; I appreciate that.

Just posted those samples to help illustrate what I was saying regarding what I'm used to and having to adapt to the lower contrast.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote:No worries brother; I appreciate that.

Just posted those samples to help illustrate what I was saying regarding what I'm used to and having to adapt to the lower contrast.
I take it that it’s still not right? Adaptation is the key to survival. Honestly, I’m very sorry that the new UI isn’t “contrasty” enough. I spend a lot of time trying to improve it and reach a good middle ground just for you. I could make all the quote levels the same color but that also gets confusing and I can’t go searching for new themes. If I’m feeling like it I can spend a couple more hours tonight trying to get it to your liking but I’m busy staring at a screen as I reinstall Mojave trying to fix my issues with Time Machine backups.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I've said a couple of times now that it's OK James 'cause I'll adapt.

Twice you seemed to have missed that. This time, in my last post, in response to your saying you're not going to go any darker, I said, "No worries brother; I appreciate that."

So yet again I say to you Brother James, I really appreciate the situation you're in. Also, I never demanded or suggested you do anything; as I explained earlier, I was responding to your "call" for feedback, that's all. How you chose or choose to use the data is entirely up to you and was submitted obligation-free. You asked for feedback and you got it. It was simply a "this particular aspect could be better IMHO", not a "oh no, I can't use the forum now 'cause you've nerfed it" or anything like that. That's just not how I roll man.

I feel bad that you even tried to tweak it at all. As I also said to you earlier, I had the hope that you might stumble upon a ready-made theme one day that nailed the contrast better. I specifically said this in order to help illustrate that I in no way expected or wanted you to go out of your way.

You asked if I like the tweaks you made. Unfortunately I've seen no difference after clearing cache etc.; perhaps that'll happen after I reboot? I only reboot once a month or so thanks to that awesome RAM-cleaning app we discussed a little while ago, but I promise that after I've done so I'll let you know if I notice anything.

Thank you so much again for everything that you do brother; it is always very-much-appreciated, all of it! :headbang:

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You should see changes after your clear your browser cache and then reload a page. I wish I had saved before and after graphics. I actually did back up the original style sheet file before I made tweaks to it, so I may activate it briefly so I can screen capture a post that has three levels of quotes in it so people can see the difference. If it still looks to you like it did when I very first installed it then something is very wrong. I’m not sure how your monitor is set up, but the actual post background at least should be pretty easy to see.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... being that I'm a hopeless people pleaser, I did more tweaks... everything is darker. I don't want to end up with the main post background being 100% black. Just too much for me right now.

Here's the most recent already darkened:
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.45.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.45.33 AM.png (30.2 KiB) Viewed 502 times

And here's after further darkening it just now. This is currently what you should be seeing.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 1.12.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 1.12.34 AM.png (30.95 KiB) Viewed 501 times

That's about as dark as I want to take it for now.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Background of forum listing on main page is now darker as well. Same color as background of posts.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I had to go back to the older colors for the nested quotes. Most of the posts don't have too many quotes so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. Problem is the the word "wrote" in the attribution is a set color and I cannot find how to change it, nor can a change it depending on the level the quote is nested. I have hit a roadblock here and short me of designing something from scratch or scouring the web for other themes, gonna live with this for now.

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

For my old eyes, i cant see when the backgrounds of pages are too dark. This is wonderful for me now sir James or tweakville.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think it’s great now, and it was fine before. The last few changes made it look more like DP and less like Logic.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Bayswater's signature above appears in blue with the dark background, and isn't readable. But all the other signatures appear with a light font. I wonder why that sig is different?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com