Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

Post by HobbyCore »

I understand that some people like it, but can we please get an alternate layout installed?

It's very difficult for me to read white text on grey (often light grey) backgrounds. This theme doesn't pass WCAG or UGL either.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

HobbyCore wrote:I understand that some people like it, but can we please get an alternate layout installed?
No.

Let me expand: this is a user-run, user-supported site. Actually a "me-supported" site and I do this in my free time. The forum is a free service. I don't make any money on it, so you can use it as it is. I can look into it, but there are many reasons right now why I can't set up an alternative theme that I don't have time to explain right now. So you'll have to bear with it for now.

By the way... this is how I see the first level of quoted text on my browser. You can't read that?

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.38.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.38.38 AM.png (34.74 KiB) Viewed 727 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

I have difficulty reading what is in the image. That is not abnormal either, and why there's web accessibility standards.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well it is what it is. I can’t fix this anytime soon.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My eyesight is nowhere near perfect, but I don't have problems seeing the quoted sections, etc. Perhaps the macOS Accessibility options in System Preferences would help, in particular those related to Display Contrast.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think it’s fine. I’m resigned to the truism that you simply can’t make everyone happy.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I too, prefer black text, but you know what? I don't care if it's green text on purple. Just the fact that James has run this board (for how many years now?) is something to be happy about. I have used DP on a nearly daily basis since version 1 or 2 point something and this board has been a valuable resource. And, I even get to talk to Monkey Man on the other side of the planet. How cool is that? Thank you, James, for your hard work and countless hours. You can make the board any damned color you like!!

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:20 amAnd, I even get to talk to Monkey Man on the other side of the planet. How cool is that?
Incredibly, poo-flingingly cool Brother Phil! :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

monkey man wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:08 pm
Phil O wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:20 amAnd, I even get to talk to Monkey Man on the other side of the planet. How cool is that?
Incredibly, poo-flingingly cool Brother Phil! :lol:
Phil: DUCK!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HobbyCore wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:59 pm I have difficulty reading what is in the image. That is not abnormal either, and why there's web accessibility standards.
I did some more tweaks here. Honestly, man... I'm just a guy who started this forum years ago to help other DP users. I support this board on my own out of my own pocket. It is a labor or love. I don't make money on it and I obviously don't charge anything for it. It is a free service and I do my best, but I am not a professional web designer or programmer, etc.

I have made some tweaks by going into the cascading style sheet and trying to figure out what parameter effects what. I have changed the message body to 100% PURE BLACK and the text is PURE WHITE. I don't know how much more contrast I can achieve. If this change is not showing up, you need to delete your browser cache (for ONLY cached images and files) and reload the site. I will experiment with quotation backgrounds. There is only so much tweaking I can do before I have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and completely ditch the theme which I am hesitant to do.

dix

Post by dix »

James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:38 pm
HobbyCore wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:59 pm I have difficulty reading what is in the image. That is not abnormal either, and why there's web accessibility standards.
I did some more tweaks here. Honestly, man... I'm just a guy who started this forum years ago to help other DP users. I support this board on my own out of my own pocket. It is a labor or love. I don't make money on it and I obviously don't charge anything for it. It is a free service and I do my best, but I am not a professional web designer or programmer, etc.

I have made some tweaks by going into the cascading style sheet and trying to figure out what parameter effects what. I have changed the message body to 100% PURE BLACK and the text is PURE WHITE. I don't know how much more contrast I can achieve. If this change is not showing up, you need to delete your browser cache (for ONLY cached images and files) and reload the site. I will experiment with quotation backgrounds. There is only so much tweaking I can do before I have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and completely ditch the theme which I am hesitant to do.
"Accessibility", as in for the visually impaired, may the operative here? A visually impaired friend I know has tricks for navigating the web, but they can be extremely frustrating for him. ...for example, Option+Command+F5 allows access to Invert Display Color is a common one. That trick makes MN's text black on a white bg - but of course it also inverts the rest of the internet and everything on the display.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Right. Well I’m doing the best I can here.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I've looked on my phone a few times, and it was ok, just now looking on a desktop, and it's very hard to see or read. I'm sure it's been said, white text on a black background is the hardest thing to read, I'd sure vote for flipping it, not that I get a vote. FWIW. I'll probably be remembering the accessibility screen inversion trick for this place. Thanks for all you do James!
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
dix

Post by dix »

I’m wondering if the new format has anything to do with the avalanche of spam the board is getting the last day or so. I’ve never seen it quite so bad. I’ve flagged a couple of them but I’m assuming your aware of them, James.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote:I’m wondering if the new format has anything to do with the avalanche of spam the board is getting the last day or so. I’ve never seen it quite so bad. I’ve flagged a couple of them but I’m assuming your aware of them, James.
I’ve deleted them. No connection. The problem is likely because I turned off the email verification requirement because many people trying to sign up weren’t receiving emails. There’s something wrong with the board configuration or hosting setup and emails sent via the board software weren’t going out. I am probably going to have to hire (aka pay) someone to get to the bottom of the problem for me. Until then I keep swatting them.