Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wow! New Forum Layout Looks Gorgeous!!

Post by monkey man »

"... so far I only have one objection to it."
It wasn't an objection James. I even said, "Pity, 'cause other than that, I really like it."

Simple:
You said to Markus, "Since you’re one of the regulars here I was eager for you log on and get your reaction."

I therefore followed suit thinking I'd point out the only 2 things I could possibly think could be better. You know - trying to help?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh, and thank you for responding brother; much-appreciated.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:01 pm "... so far I only have one objection to it."
It wasn't an objection James. I even said, "Pity, 'cause other than that, I really like it."

Simple:
You said to Markus, "Since you’re one of the regulars here I was eager for you log on and get your reaction."

I therefore followed suit thinking I'd point out the only 2 things I could possibly think could be better. You know - trying to help?
I'm not sure what kind of monitor you're looking at or why you're having a problem with the contrast. I really can't see that. And yes, I asked about it, but honestly I think it's good enough. Maybe someone else will chime in the that the background needs to be slightly darker. I honestly disagree and I don't see the issue you're talking about. Perhaps in the area where posts are showing a quote it could be better. But let's put it this way... I'm done working on this for a while. I'm not striving for perfection here, especially when we're talking about something that is very subjective. There's ALWAYS going to be something not right.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It really seems that if there's a problem it's with quoted text and that this theme goes to a light grey background for the first level of quoting, slightly darker for the next level and so on. It only seems like quotes could possibly be an issue. Regular posts aren't that bad. I don't know if there's a way to find the issue. It would involve a lot of trial and error and shutting down the board for a few hours to try and see if I can made "educated guesses" about which values to change and whether there will be unintended consequences that will mess something else up. I'm going to just live with it for now.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Good point Brother James; I hadn't even considered the lighter quote background. I was talking about the regular-post one.

It'll just a take a bit of adjustment on my part 'cause I'm used to really-dark backgrounds, which make text really pop. If forums don't offer one by-default, I choose an alternate theme, but unfortunately there isn't one here.

Examples:

Dayum. I grabbed a pic each from VI Control and Rig Talk with my preferred theme but can't find a way to upload or attach them.

Thank you as always for everything that you do mate; don't sweat it.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I like the "look" of the new config. But I suppose the read-ability of quoted text is a weakness. I don't mind it though.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Hey James, I really like the new look!

Much more modern, I think. The quote text doesn't really bother me.. worth it for all the other enhancements!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Is there a way to determine the newest post in a thread? The little “page” icon before the date and time used to be illuminated, but now they are all the same color?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:04 am I like the "look" of the new config. But I suppose the read-ability of quoted text is a weakness. I don't mind it though.
I dug around in the style sheet and darkened the backgrounds on the first two levels of quoting. We're dealing with shades of grey here. It's possible that I could use darker backgrounds of different colors so long as it remains tasteful. To see this, you'll need to clear your browser's cache. Be careful not to clear your history or cookies, etc. I'm not sure yet, if I'm going to darken the background for posts a shade or two as they look pretty good to me as they are.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just darkened the overall background behind posts a bit more. Again, you may have to clear your image cache on your browser to see it. Be careful not to clear your history or cookies, etc.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:27 am Good point Brother James; I hadn't even considered the lighter quote background. I was talking about the regular-post one.
I darkened the basic post background a bit. Not sure I want to go much further, but if you clear your browser's image cache and reload the page you should see that it got a little bit darker.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:16 pm Is there a way to determine the newest post in a thread? The little “page” icon before the date and time used to be illuminated, but now they are all the same color?
That I do not know. I can dig a little bit. I usually don't have a problem with that as I always choose "New posts" from the Quick links at the top left, and the right most column is called "Last Post" and I click the little arrow icon next to the name of the poster. If there have been older posts in that thread, I just have to scroll back a bit I guess until I remember where I left off. I'm not sure I can find where to change what you're talking about.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you for "staying on it", Brother Jimbo. :headbang:

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

James Steele wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:22 pm
monkey man wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:27 am Good point Brother James; I hadn't even considered the lighter quote background. I was talking about the regular-post one.
I darkened the basic post background a bit.
Thank you for that James. I appreciate that. Perfect for moi' and me old eyes! :D
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, James, for tweaking the forum, it looks great! I guess we’re all just inveterate tweakers, after all.

Now, back to working in Beyond Black v2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net