Hello my old DP loving friends it has been a long time

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Mr Clifford
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hello my old DP loving friends it has been a long time

Post by Mr Clifford »

bayswater wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:28 am Mr Clifford !

I’m sticking with V10 at the moment. The improved pitch functions make changing audio tempo and small pitch corrections trouble free, much better than V9 if that sort of thing is useful. Otherwise, V9 is a sweet spot. I can’t see anything in V11, unless you’re desperate for articulation control.
Hey, thanks, that's really good to know. That was the main thing that struck me about DP9 (I think I bypassed DP8), how much the pitch & time correction had improved.

Anything new in MIDI editing land, by any chance? (not holding my breath). I spend most of my time in DP cleaning up MIDI to send straight to Sibelius or Dorico for scoring these days. A good 'remove overlaps' function would be helpful (dammit if that's like the only decent function in Logic - everything else certainly sucks!)
Mac OSX 10.14.6. Mac Pro. RME FF800. DP 9.52
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mr Clifford wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:12 am
bayswater wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:28 am Mr Clifford !

I’m sticking with V10 at the moment. The improved pitch functions make changing audio tempo and small pitch corrections trouble free, much better than V9 if that sort of thing is useful. Otherwise, V9 is a sweet spot. I can’t see anything in V11, unless you’re desperate for articulation control.
Hey, thanks, that's really good to know. That was the main thing that struck me about DP9 (I think I bypassed DP8), how much the pitch & time correction had improved.

Anything new in MIDI editing land, by any chance? (not holding my breath). I spend most of my time in DP cleaning up MIDI to send straight to Sibelius or Dorico for scoring these days. A good 'remove overlaps' function would be helpful (dammit if that's like the only decent function in Logic - everything else certainly sucks!)
I haven’t noticed any significant changes to MIDI editing. Maybe bugs fixes in editing automation ramps, although you still get the occasional “step” function where you don’t want it. On overlaps, the only thing I see is the duration setting that cuts notes at the start of the next note. Can’t remember what that’s called at the moment.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Mr Clifford

Post by Mr Clifford »

bayswater wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:35 am I haven’t noticed any significant changes to MIDI editing. Maybe bugs fixes in editing automation ramps, although you still get the occasional “step” function where you don’t want it. On overlaps, the only thing I see is the duration setting that cuts notes at the start of the next note. Can’t remember what that’s called at the moment.
Ah, yes, the good old 'Move Releases to the closest attack'. That's my main go-to, and for the most part it gets the job done. It just gets a little confused if the original notes are too overlapped (think harp arpeggio where the composer has held the keys down to get it to sound right) - in which case my workaround is to first shorten all the notes to something really short (like a 16th), and then run the 'move releases' command. It's really a pretty minor thing, cause I do it all the time, and I'd love for it to be a single step. Certainly nowhere near enough to jump ship, because every time I have to work on Logic (usually because a client has delivered on Logic) I end up screaming at the computer (don't even get me started on exporting a MIDI file from it), but damn if they haven't nailed that one particular function (amongst so many other miserable fails).
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mr Clifford wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:30 pm every time I have to work on Logic (usually because a client has delivered on Logic) I end up screaming at the computer (don't even get me started on exporting a MIDI file from it), but damn if they haven't nailed that one particular function (amongst so many other miserable fails).
I know the experience. People send me things they’ve written in Logic, or GB. I usually have to export to DP and the MIDI export is always an adventure. There are a few things in Logic I really like and wish DP would so, and I’ve started many projects in Logic, but never finished one. Every time, there was a dead end. Sometimes I go to a list with Logic gurus and ask how to deal with it, and the reply is “ya, that doesn’t work”. Yet there are smart people who manage to make good music in Logic.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

We made some pretty good recordings on tape, too :lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Hello my old DP loving friends it has been a long time

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:We made some pretty good recordings on tape, too :lol:
You mean back in the day when we learned our parts and practiced them *before* we went in to a recording studio?! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Mr Clifford

Post by Mr Clifford »

bayswater wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:20 pm I know the experience. People send me things they’ve written in Logic, or GB. I usually have to export to DP and the MIDI export is always an adventure. There are a few things in Logic I really like and wish DP would so, and I’ve started many projects in Logic, but never finished one. Every time, there was a dead end. Sometimes I go to a list with Logic gurus and ask how to deal with it, and the reply is “ya, that doesn’t work”. Yet there are smart people who manage to make good music in Logic.
OMG That is exactly my experience with Logic - every time! I'm just finishing up a large album project now, which began in Logic. I started beat-mapping the rubato playing of the client (who has never once turned the click on), only to discover that whilst the Beat-mapping in Logic would be amazing if it actually did what it's supposed to, it just doesn't, and you can spend hours mapping a section only to have Logic lose it all and act like you never did any - I ended up porting the entire project over to DP so that I could use the ever reliable 'Adjust Beats'.

I love the Logic forum - "I'd like Logic to just export the MIDI tracks as MIDI tracks in a MIDI file" … "Nup, you can't do that, it exports the regions as separate MIDI tracks, deal with it".
"What about renumbering the Bars so that I can have a count in, and still start the music at bar 1, so that it lines up with my score" … "Nup, can't do that either".
"What if I want the MIDI file to export only to the end point of my cue"…"Nup, despite you entering in an 'End' point for the project, Logic will randomly export 2576 bars of empty space at the end of your MIDI file just so that Sibelius runs slow until you remove them".

I did actually finish a project on Logic, .... once … several years ago,… but my experience on that job with the awful audio editing interface made me swear that I would never attempt it again.

In the last few years I have had use just about everything in the course of my work; Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, Reason, Studio One, etc. and every time I open up DP it's like coming home.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

James Steele wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:51 pm
HCMarkus wrote:We made some pretty good recordings on tape, too :lol:
You mean back in the day when we learned our parts and practiced them *before* we went in to a recording studio?! :lol:
:lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Mr Clifford

Post by Mr Clifford »

James Steele wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:51 pm You mean back in the day when we learned our parts and practiced them *before* we went in to a recording studio?! :lol:
But you tell that to the kids these days and they'll never believe you.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Mr Clifford wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:12 pm Hey Kassonica & Monkey Man,

I just popped back in to see what the buzz on the street on DP11 is like. Have hardly been on here for the last few years (I guess I got busy and had kids). Good to see you both!

I've happily been using DP9 for the last few years, and I'm trying to see if there's any reason to upgrade. It just works SO WELL!!! And I have no desire whatsoever to use DP like Ableton - which seems to be what most of the changes in DP10 & 11 have been about.

I would never be one to suggest to anyone to mess with a stable system, but Clips is just one of many things that got added. MIDI wise MPE is now supported fully, Articulation Maps for orchestral libraries are fantastic, the track selector now includes MIDI data types and even MIDI channels, Chunks got colors and folders, Retrospective Record like Logic, MX4 is included. So when you do jump up, there's a lot to explore. :headbang:

IMO also, people misjudge the usefulness of Clips, I often prefer using a simple drum track instead of a metronome when writing, and it's much easier to use Clips for that over other methods.

Oh and random side note, if you join the MIDI into one big clip it exports as one MIDI file in Logic, but yeah, I attempted to export the MIDI track with two clips in it in Logic and it made two MIDI tracks with the clips separated when I imported it back into Logic. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mr Clifford wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:02 pm "What about renumbering the Bars so that I can have a count in, and still start the music at bar 1, so that it lines up with my score" … "Nup, can't do that either".
Yes, I lost a few hours with that one. Imported a MIDI tempo track from DP into Logic, and it said “What the heck? you can’t start a song before 1-1-0 !!!”
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Mr Clifford wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:58 pm
James Steele wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:51 pm You mean back in the day when we learned our parts and practiced them *before* we went in to a recording studio?! :lol:
But you tell that to the kids these days and they'll never believe you.
Oh yea…

My basement has a large assortment of analog recorders. I tried to talk my daughter into doing some recordings on one just for kicks. No dice.

OTOH, I do not miss razor blade editing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Mr Clifford

Post by Mr Clifford »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:48 am OTOH, I do not miss razor blade editing.
I don't miss it either, but jeez I'm glad that I actually got to learn how to do it! They dropped it the following year when I studied, so I only just scraped in.
Mr Clifford

Post by Mr Clifford »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:57 am I would never be one to suggest to anyone to mess with a stable system, but Clips is just one of many things that got added. MIDI wise MPE is now supported fully, Articulation Maps for orchestral libraries are fantastic, the track selector now includes MIDI data types and even MIDI channels, Chunks got colors and folders, Retrospective Record like Logic, MX4 is included. So when you do jump up, there's a lot to explore. :headbang:
Thanks Michael, I'll have a decent look into those. I assume I can download a trial version of DP11 to have a little play.
And thank you for the very nice welcome back!!!
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Ah good to see some more friendly faces in here...

DP11 is like Live.... ewwwww :shock:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang