dearVR Mix

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

dearVR Mix

Post by bayswater »

Any opinions on this? It looks similar to Waves NX which improves clarity for me in some situations. I have Senn HD 650s which are in the support list. I have no real opportunity to build an ideal listening setting for monitors, so have been half heartedly been looking around for something like this.

They also have 3D plugin that can be bundled with this one. I'm not so interested in surround, but would like something that results in more precise and narrowed locations in a stereo field. I've come across some free plugins that do this, but they're very difficult to use to get a consistent result.

https://www.dear-reality.com/products/d ... e=hs_email
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Re: dearVR Mix

Post by monkey man »

Near as I can tell the Slate offering's the best at doing this, but then the newer Waves one seems good too. No first-hand experience 'though.

The downside, which is kinda an upside too, is that the Slate one includes a set of 'phones... unless I'm mistaken.

I've got Waves NX (the old plain-Jane one) and the dearVR thing but haven't run a plugin in many years (should change this year). When it comes down to it I reckon either would probably do anyway.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Re: dearVR Mix

Post by bayswater »

I got around to downloading the 14 day trial, and put it in the final insert on a few old mixes. Every one of them sounded better. I don't know why that would be if all it is doing is simulating a good mixing room. Wouldn't a bad mix still sound bad in a good room?

But the killer feature is the simulation of the other locations. It has the usual car, small club, etc, but it has a simulation of a kitchen, and I think Sennheiser used my kitchen as the model. My stuff sounds really bad in my kitchen, and now I can fix that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8