Set to selection bounds

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MW1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Set to selection bounds

Post by MW1 »

Sorry, I didn't explain it very clearly.

I meant to say that, once the soundbite is selected, using just the shift key+arrow up or down (the default key binding for moving a selection up or down) seems to produce the same result as the opt+shift+arrow key combo you described.

As you say, using the arrow key alone will record enable the next track up or down.
larrytheo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by larrytheo »

Well, I'll admit I'm a little confused by the behavior in my system. Opt-Shift-arrow works for moving the selection up and down, and that is the shortcut shown for that function in my Commands window.

Shift-arrow, according to the Commands window, is supposed to extend the "grid selection" up or down, while an arrow alone will "move the grid selection." What is the difference between a "selection" and a "grid selection"? Beats me. The User Guide has no reference to a "grid selection." But an arrow alone, as I indicated before, is moving record enable up or down, while shift-arrow is doing nothing at all.

What the heck?
Larry the O
Late 2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM, OS 12.6.6, DP 11.2, UAD-2 Satellite, MachFive3 3.2.1
1248, 16A, 8M audio interfaces, MTP-AV MIDI interfaces
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

I am STILL struggling with selection shortcuts!

I would like to extend the selection end right, so that individual soundbites I am bouncing have extra room at the end for reverb tails. The Commands window is a mess, with duplicate entries for virtually all of the "Move Selection" commands, but different key bindings for each entry, and only some of them work.

So, I can use Opt-Cmd-Shift-R arrow to move it "a little," which seems to be one frame (obviously, my time ruler is set to "frames"), but the command shown for "Move Selection End Right" does not seem to work at all, whichever entry I go by.

What I really want is to extend the end of the selection by maybe 500 ms or so for reverb tails (it's a short reverb), but I'm just not seeing how to accomplish that.

This is kinda frustrating; it's been going on for a number of years.
Larry the O
Late 2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM, OS 12.6.6, DP 11.2, UAD-2 Satellite, MachFive3 3.2.1
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

The Commands window is a mess
That's why I never use it for this. I set selection by click-drag and it does exactly what I want.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

Unfortunately, making selections manually is an onerous effort when exporting many dialogue lines one at a time. High-volume production benefits hugely from shortcuts and automation. This I learned over years of film, TV, and video game production. If it takes me two hours to do it manually, it is nevertheless worth spending two hours working out how to do it with shortcuts and/or automation because it will make future projects take far less time.

My quest continues.
Larry the O