Set to selection bounds

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
musicarteca
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Set to selection bounds

Post by musicarteca »

Does anyone know the shortcut for "set to selection bounds", in other words, I select a soundbite(s) and want to translate that selection to the time ruler. I don't seem to find it on the commands menu.
Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions
www.legatoproductions.com
qo

Post by qo »

I think you may be asking about the bottom right column on page 36 (Link Selection to Memory). If not, could you describe a bit more what you're wanting to do?
musicarteca

Post by musicarteca »

Thank you qo, that is not it. What I am looking is for a shortcut that translates a soundbite selection into a time selection. Let say I select a soundbite, right now what I do is, pull down the mini menu at the selection tab in the control panel and choose: set to selection bounds, that will change the soundbite selection into a time range selection. I want a shortcut for that.
Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions
Tim

Post by Tim »

Highlighting a soundbite won't register as a selection. If the selection is moved to another track, either by clicking on the name of another track or hitting Shift-Option-Up/Dwn Arrow (Shift-Option-Both Arrows, and it stays there) it will then show in Selection.
musicarteca

Post by musicarteca »

Tim wrote:Highlighting a soundbite won't register as a selection.
Exactly, I want to highlight a soundbite and register that as a time selection, on the same track, which can be done with the procedure I described above, so I would assume that it has a shortcut.
Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions
larrytheo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Set to selection bounds

Post by larrytheo »

Just a quick note to anyone else that has had this issue (as I have), note that the answer is given above, but is kind of slipped in there. So, to clarify:

The shortcut to set the selection to the boundaries of a selected soundbite is:

opt-shift-up arrow-dn arrow (hold down both arrows).

It works great! I've needed this shortcut fo-EVA!!
Larry the O
Late 2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM, OS 12.6.6, DP 11.2, UAD-2 Satellite, MachFive3 3.2.1
1248, 16A, 8M audio interfaces, MTP-AV MIDI interfaces
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

larrytheo wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:23 pmThe shortcut to set the selection to the boundaries of a selected soundbite is:

opt-shift-up arrow-dn arrow (hold down both arrows).

It works great! I've needed this shortcut fo-EVA!!
Woah... that is a trip. Just tried it. I had to hold down the arrow keys for a second for something to happen. It seemed to jump up and select that range in the Conductor track.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

That's good to know. Thank you!
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Great tip! Thanx
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hmm. Can't get it to work here. :(

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Phil O wrote:Hmm. Can't get it to work here. :(

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
Did you *hold down* the arrow keys for maybe a full second? It’s not instantaneous.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Several seconds.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

If it takes that long and there is another track adjacent, you could use opt-shift-arrow up OR down and it will make a selection on the other track, then you do the reverse and it will select your soundbite. So, if you have tracks 1,2, and 3, select a soundbite on track 1, press opt-shift-arrow down and it will make a selection on track 2 that is the same as the soundbite bounds, then do opt-shift-arrow up and it reselects the soundbite with its bounds now transferred to the selection.

It's a two-step, to be sure, but a quick one, and if you use a macro facility, as I do, you can make it back into one keystroke.
Larry the O
Late 2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM, OS 12.6.6, DP 11.2, UAD-2 Satellite, MachFive3 3.2.1
MW1

Post by MW1 »

larrytheo wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm If it takes that long and there is another track adjacent, you could use opt-shift-arrow up OR down and it will make a selection on the other track, then you do the reverse and it will select your soundbite. So, if you have tracks 1,2, and 3, select a soundbite on track 1, press opt-shift-arrow down and it will make a selection on track 2 that is the same as the soundbite bounds, then do opt-shift-arrow up and it reselects the soundbite with its bounds now transferred to the selection.

It's a two-step, to be sure, but a quick one, and if you use a macro facility, as I do, you can make it back into one keystroke.
Actually, no need for the option key - just Shift+up or down arrow does the same thing you describe (on my system anyway)

You're just using the key command for moving the selection up or down
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

Yes, moving the selection is the objective of the technique. The thread was about how to set the selection to the bounds of the selected soundbite. On my system, using the arrow key alone record enables the next track up or down.
Larry the O