Yamaha Guitar

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yamaha Guitar

Post by bayswater »

It never occurred to me to look at Yamaha for an electric guitar. I had a mediocre acoustic that I traded in for a Taylor a long time ago. But a local store has a load of Yamaha Revstar II's including some LH models they're all excited about. It looks very versatile. Are there any opinions about Yamaha?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Re: Yamaha Guitar

Post by monkey man »

The first electric I ever bought was a Yamaha. Black body with maple neck & fretboard. Great action and a solid guitar. That was in the late '80s.

They had a good reputation for their basses since the '80s.

They took over making Line 6's Variax guitars a few years ago, which was seen as a positive move for Line 6 'cause they were previously made in Korea and suffered QC inconsistencies.

That's all I've got from personal experience, Brother Stoivo.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:18 am The first electric I ever bought was a Yamaha. Black body with maple neck & fretboard. Great action and a solid guitar. That was in the late '80s.

They had a good reputation for their basses since the '80s.

They took over making Line 6's Variax guitars a few years ago, which was seen as a positive move for Line 6 'cause they were previously made in Korea and suffered QC inconsistencies.

That's all I've got from personal experience, Brother Stoivo.
Thanks. I’m reasonably familiar with Yamaha basses (bassi?). They’re fine, although I never got one. But the guitars — I don’t associate them with any particular sound or style. But I heard back form someone with a friend who is “obsessed with the history of Japanese guitars”, so I anticipate learning more.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The only model line I've heard about in the years since is Pacifica.

Great-value, apparently. Play and sound great. Well-made.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

My friend got a Pacifica. For the money, it is a really good entry level guitar. But having played it and heard it, you don't forget that your playing an entry level guitar.

That said, I could imagine someone taking a Pacifica and swapping out some stuff and having a decent guitar. Not sure that would save you any money though, once all is said and done.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yamaha makes good guitars, both acoustic and electric, and especially good basses. But I sold my Yamaha guitars as I have unusually tiny hands (and grip) and just couldn't get comfortable on them. I had a Strat-like Pacifica and a kind of Gretschy racing green RevStar with a flexible tailpiece.

They are great value for sure, and well made as well. For someone not owning a Les Paul already (it was too late for me), I'd recommend their higher-end RevStar models. I bought the 520T when it came out, as something a bit different, and still wanting something Gretschy even though they never attach to me for very long.

The Pacifica is a great buy and comes in many flavors, but the neck profile, nut width, etc., are significantly different from the more common Fender and Squier models -- bearing in mind that there are so many variants that I am simply comparing to the more standard editions that have high sales.

Arch-top-wise, Yamaha is similar to Ibanez in bang-for-buck, but they are harder to find in the USA, even used. And for me, the grip was all wrong. But there are some historic models in particular that have a very special reputation within arch-top land. I can't remember which ones specifically.

When the BB-Bass series got revived a decade ago or so, I upgraded both times the series got a pip. The neck's a bit narrow for me, but it's great in the studio (I have the 5-string high-end model). It's a nice P/J combination.

The acoustics are all across the map and are also mostly good value and well-build, with most models having shapes and sizes that are somewhat between dreadnoughts, jumbos, and orchestra models or "000" size. Even their entry-level line is quite good. Not so much the nylon models though; intonation issues galore, but possibly not so present in more recent manufacturing due to CNC.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

bayswater wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:23 pmAre there any opinions about Yamaha?
My very first guitar in 1972 was a Yamaha FG-50 acoustic. It served me well until ~1980 or '81 when I (foolishly) sold it 'cuz I needed $50 cash.
Then in 1985 I won an entry-level Yamaha solid body electric (model SE200 I think?) in a raffle, and that guitar was my main or my #2 studio instrument for the next ~35 years or so. It got some well-deserved mods -- new pickups, bridge, and tuning machines -- and if it weren't for the fact that the machines self-destructed a couple years ago it would probably still be one of my go-to instruments.

Yeah, I wouldn't hestitate to get another Yamaha guitar.