Finale 27.4 ships, many issues resolved, last day of upgrade sale.

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Finale 27.4 ships, many issues resolved, last day of upgrade sale.

Post by mikehalloran »

For Finale users with Apple Silicon, the 27.2 update released yesterday provides Native support over the M1, some bug fixes, new templates etc.
https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/fi ... 0in%20v27.

To get it, log into your User account and download 27. It’s always the last released build. In this case, it will be 27.2.

If you do not want it to overwrite 27.1, rename Finale.app in your Applications folder (to, say Finale 27.1) before installing the latest download. Version 27.2 also contains an update to the Aria Player so let the Garritan updater run also.

The new Finale v27.2 Update and NotePerformer 3.3.2 work fine together on Intel Macs and Apple Silicon but only when 27.2 is opened in Rosetta 2. Since NotePerformer 3.3.2 is not a Native app, there are no surprises here.

If you run Get Info on Finale 27.2 and uncheck the box Open using Rosetta on a file where you had been calling NotePerformer, Finale will freeze causing you to Force Quit. The two workarounds I've found are a) run Get Info on Finale and check the box Open using Rosetta or b) uninstall NotePerformer by going to Library/Application Support/Noteperformer and double-clicking on Uninstall NotePerformer.command — this launches a Terminal Command that removes NP (no need to reboot). You will need to reassign your tracks to MIDI or AUs.

For my M1 over Rosetta, I had to run the NP 3.3.2 installer again after I updated to 27.2 before Finale saw it. That may or may not have been a fluke. YMMV

I have been assured that NotePerformer 4 is on the horizon and will be Native but have no idea when it will make its appearance.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Re: Finale 27.2 Native Update Available; NotePerformer on Apple Silicon

Post by Phil O »

Hi Mike. I'm currently running V26 on my m1 mac and it's working fine under rosetta. My current need for notation software is minimal, but I still do use it. Have you found anything in V27 that makes it a must have for you? I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:42 am Hi Mike. I'm currently running V26 on my m1 mac and it's working fine under rosetta. My current need for notation software is minimal, but I still do use it. Have you found anything in V27 that makes it a must have for you? I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
The new SMuFL fonts, perhaps. I tested 26 on my M1 in Rosetta 2. Eventually, Rosetta 2 will go away but I'm betting not for two more years without running afoul of certain California laws.

27 did fix the pdf true black issue. Installing the demo seems to fix it in 26, too.

If interested in upgrading, MM always seems to have a Black Friday sale which should be in five weeks or so. It's hard to get that info directly but ScoringNotes usually announces the good deals when they happen. It's a free subscription that has saved me a fair amount of $ over the years.
https://www.scoringnotes.com/
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I only had a little bit of time with it last night, but it did seem sharper in font rendering. Maybe a psycho-visual perception related to True Black.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks, Mike.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Re: Finale 27.2 Native Update Available; NotePerformer on Apple Silicon, Resolved NotePerformer issue on Intel

Post by mikehalloran »

I was having a major issue with Finale and NotePerformer on my iMac Pro (Intel). After updating to Monterey and installing NP 3.3.2, Finale 26 and 27 would crash. Thanks to Wallander Support, this is finally resolved.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... Performer-
papageno

Re: Finale 27.2 Native Update Available; NotePerformer on Apple Silicon, Resolved NotePerformer issue on Intel

Post by papageno »

I am a bit dissapointed in Wallander and NotePerformer. When AppleSilicon Macs came out I asked Arne about future Apple Silicon native support. I got an answer that this will be no problem because NotePerformer is easily portable.
Now that Finale 27.2 is out and would be running native on my new MBP I have to run Finale under Rosetta2 because NotePerformer does not have a native AppleSilicon version available and there is also no timeline. Apparently the "easily portable" talk does not apply any more now that Finale 27.2 is out. The native version will be out probably with the next major update... no info when.
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

papageno wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:09 am I am a bit dissapointed in Wallander and NotePerformer. When AppleSilicon Macs came out I asked Arne about future Apple Silicon native support. I got an answer that this will be no problem because NotePerformer is easily portable.
Now that Finale 27.2 is out and would be running native on my new MBP I have to run Finale under Rosetta2 because NotePerformer does not have a native AppleSilicon version available and there is also no timeline. Apparently the "easily portable" talk does not apply any more now that Finale 27.2 is out. The native version will be out probably with the next major update... no info when.
Correct. NP v.4 is coming and will be Native but Arne has not told anyone when, myself included. It's nice to know that there is a workaround till that happens.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura today (13.3.1), and it wants to delete Finale, so I went to my account and re-downloaded the installer, but it's the same as the one from last December 2022 (27.3.0.160) and Ventura still thinks it should be deleted when I try to launch it.

As I reported elsewhere, NotePerformer fails AU validation in DP 11.22 under Ventura -- probably already the case under Monterey. I have 3.1.0 and cannot access 3.3.2 (if that fixes anything) as I can't find anywhere on the NoltePerformer or Wallander websites to login and manage my account, or any contact info for the vendor either. My email changed in OCT 2018 with no access or forwarding (out of my control, and a long story), so only that unreachable dead email address "worked" for requesting a download link for 3.3.2 (and Wallander likely won't know it wasn't received either).

I did find some posts regarding the slo-mo development of Noteperformer v4, but I'd like to be able to get my account info up to date if possible. The out-of-the-blue death of my old email address has caused me unending problems, including a credit hit that will damage me for years. Too many people require double hand-shakes and/or consider email the most "stable" contact info, when the opposite is the case; especially if one uses a phone or internet provider for one's email account (which I did years ago; lesson learned).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:20 pm I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura today (13.3.1)...
I had no idea there's a 13.3.1. I'm on 13.3. I didn't get a notification, but I just went into Settings > General and checked for an update and there it was. Well, I have no heavy projects right now so I'll give it a whirl.

Mike... I know we can't use APFS snapshots to downgrade from Ventura to Monterey, but is it possible to roll back from one version of Ventura to a prior version of Ventura? I'm going to go offline for a bit and update to 13.3.1.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just did the update. Haven't tested DP and plugs, but since I went from 13.3 to 13.3.1 and from what I read this was largely a maintenance update that patched some security vulnerabilities I don't anticipate any.

What WAS weird, however, was after the 13.3.1 update was downloaded, there was a notification that my Mac would restart in 30 seconds, and after a little ways into that, a "Restart" button appeared in the Settings panel as well... (see graphic below). Being impatient as always, I clicked "Restart" and was prompted for my admin login. My Mac restarted and booted quickly and I was still on 13.3 as if nothing happened.

I had to go back into Settings and check for the update and re-download, and this time just let the Restart notification time out on it's own, and THEN the updated happened as it should have. Strange... but oh well.

restartoptions.jpg
restartoptions.jpg (43.51 KiB) Viewed 2830 times

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tell you one other thing that's annoying. I don't really work in Logic Pro, but I have it on my Mac Studio, and every time I update the OS, at the next launch of Logic, Logic re-scans EVERY Audio Unit again. It's scanning 1073 Audio Units right now. Yep. 1073! :shock: :shake:

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:20 pm I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura today (13.3.1), and it wants to delete Finale, so I went to my account and re-downloaded the installer, but it's the same as the one from last December 2022 (27.3.0.160) and Ventura still thinks it should be deleted when I try to launch it.

As I reported elsewhere, NotePerformer fails AU validation in DP 11.22 under Ventura -- probably already the case under Monterey. I have 3.1.0 and cannot access 3.3.2 (if that fixes anything) as I can't find anywhere on the NoltePerformer or Wallander websites to login and manage my account, or any contact info for the vendor either. My email changed in OCT 2018 with no access or forwarding (out of my control, and a long story), so only that unreachable dead email address "worked" for requesting a download link for 3.3.2 (and Wallander likely won't know it wasn't received either).

I did find some posts regarding the slo-mo development of Noteperformer v4, but I'd like to be able to get my account info up to date if possible. The out-of-the-blue death of my old email address has caused me unending problems, including a credit hit that will damage me for years. Too many people require double hand-shakes and/or consider email the most "stable" contact info, when the opposite is the case; especially if one uses a phone or internet provider for one's email account (which I did years ago; lesson learned).
This was my problem, too. What’s happening is that every time your reinstall NP, Finale starts the AU verification process all over again. I imagine that, like I, you have a few hundred plug-ins to be verified.

The workaround: Don’t delete NP. Keep restarting Finale till it stops crashing. Once everything is verified, this will stop. It took me 4 times and I’m now hood.

Updating to later versions of Monterey, Ventura and Finale did not cause this to reoccur but if I reinstall Note
Performer, I can make it happen all over again.

MakeMusic Support didn’t have a clue. It was Arne Wallander who helped me resolve this—apparently, it was something in Monterey 12.2 that triggered this and I was the one first who reported it.

Being a Finale beta tester, I will be looking for this when he next version comes around. I forwarded all of my correspondence with Arne to MM Support when it happened.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:20 pmAs I reported elsewhere, NotePerformer fails AU validation in DP 11.22 under Ventura --
I may be a day late and dollar short on this one.... and Captain Obvious as well... but did you try launching DP in Rosetta and then validating it? I found this not only works for some plugins in DP, but last night I used this approach with success for a couple of AUs in Logic Pro.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If NotePerformer showing up in DP’s authentication, needs to be blacklisted. NP does not give me this grief, BTW.

NotePerformer cannot possibly work in DP. It works in Finale, Sibelius or Dorico and then, over Rosetta 2 only if an Apple Silicon Mac.

Those running earlier versions of NP3 must request a 3.3.2 installer directly from Wallander Support at this link:
https://www.wallanderinstruments.com/request/