Listening to inputs on MOTU M4 in Windows

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
fooziex
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Listening to inputs on MOTU M4 in Windows

Post by fooziex »

Howdy,

I've just purchased a MOTU M4, and have been able to record from the inputs, but I'm wondering if I can somehow listen to the inputs on Windows without recording them and going back to listen. That is, to have something playing on input, and have it output to my computer speakers. When I go to the Windows sound output, I can see Out "1-2 (M4)" and "Out 3-4 (M4)", but when I select them, they don't seem to output anything to my speakers.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I figured it's better to ask than to hit my head against the wall trying to figure this out.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Listening to inputs on MOTU M4 in Windows

Post by mikehalloran »

You have a number of options depending on if you have your control room speakers connected to the M4 or not. By using Control f, the pdf version of the 28 page manual is easy to search.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/usb-c ... _Guide.pdf
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro