24Ai and RME compatibility, Milan and 1722.1

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
gleeman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by gleeman »

I am confused!

Can someone give me a hint on the compatibility and limitations of the 24Ai in AVB with RME?

What I want to do is to have 24 inputs of AD in one room to talk with RME hardware in the control room.

I've been told in the RME forums that MOTU is not fully IEEE 1722.1 compliant and won't operate well with RME. Also that the device is not capable of sending all 24 input channels at more than 48Khz. The manual does not cite this limitation and says that MOTU units faithfully implement the IEEE 802.1 AVB standard.
I've tried consulting wikipedia and other sources but it's not clear to me if IEEE 1722.1 is part of the AVB protocol or part of Milan and exactly where the incompatibility lies.

I don't have a hardware unit to verify these claims, so if anyone has proof that there are incompatibilities or has some success stories, please write below.

Thanks.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

See this recent thread.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=69780

Also, there are new Pro Audio drivers as of Feb. 16 on the MOTU downloads site.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro