In and Out of V-Racks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

In and Out of V-Racks

Post by bayswater »

It's obvious how to move a VI from a Sequence to a V-Rack, but is there a way to move it back again? Not covered in the manual, and I don't see any options in the Chunks window or the V-Racks sections of the Mixer. I remember something about opening the tracks in a V-Rack in the Tracks Window, but can't see what that happens either. Maybe it would be possible to drag or copy a VI from Tracks Window showing the V-Rack to the Tracks Window showing the sequence?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Re: In and Out of V-Racks

Post by Michael Canavan »

It should be improved, but the method for now is to drag the entire V-Rack from the Chunks window into the open Sequence, which essentially copies the instruments, aux and master faders to the sequence. I think it would be great to be able to do this per V-rack fader, and to have it move the instrument instead of copy it, but this is how it is for now.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:46 pm It should be improved, but the method for now is to drag the entire V-Rack from the Chunks window into the open Sequence, which essentially copies the instruments, aux and master faders to the sequence. I think it would be great to be able to do this per V-rack fader, and to have it move the instrument instead of copy it, but this is how it is for now.
Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten I could drag a V-Rack into the Tracks Window.

It would be helpful to update this to be more elegant and rational. Perhaps it would make sense to update the Tracks window so it can show all the tracks in all the active Chunks in the Track Selector, with some sort of folder view.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:49 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:46 pm It should be improved, but the method for now is to drag the entire V-Rack from the Chunks window into the open Sequence, which essentially copies the instruments, aux and master faders to the sequence. I think it would be great to be able to do this per V-rack fader, and to have it move the instrument instead of copy it, but this is how it is for now.
Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten I could drag a V-Rack into the Tracks Window.

It would be helpful to update this to be more elegant and rational. Perhaps it would make sense to update the Tracks window so it can show all the tracks in all the active Chunks in the Track Selector, with some sort of folder view.
I like the way you think, add in the typical mac/pc Command to move the virtual instrument to the track instead of copy it and that would be super intuitive! :headbang: we should both suggest this to MOTU!
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

Yes, not being able to move channels from a V Rack to a sequence has always been awkward - I only recently realized you could drag entire V Racks in! A dialogue that shows up when you drag a V Rack into a sequence, that lets you choose what gets moved or copied might (might) be easier to implement, since there’s no way to select mixer channels in DP. …either way, I agree this should be addressed.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

You beat me to it bays, I was just about to post the same question! I wondered if maybe there is something I'd missed all these years, but it doesn't look like it.

If we can move a single inst/aux track to a V-Rack, we should be able to move it back without the entire V-Rack.. being limited to a one-way trip really doesn't make sense.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This came up because of some weird bug. I was unable to record takes or do loop recording on an instance of Falcon in a V-Rack. DP went out of record mode at the end of the first pass. As part of the troubleshooting, I recreated the Falcon instance and its routing in the main sequence and loop recording then worked fine. The same started happening with other VIs in V-Racks, so I resorted to Load to get everything into a new project.

Now, I’ve got the VIs all in the sequence. I’d like to be able to drop them into V-Racks so I can easily turn them on and off, but didn’t want to put them in V-Racks if I couldn’t get them back again.

So “Drag into Tracks” will work, but I might suggest to MOTU they improve this. I like the idea of expanding the functions of the Track Selector window. I see that has been a direction MOTU has taken in DP 11, adding other types of object. Along with Folders, it seems like there is a lot of room for useful functions to be added to the existing window. .
bdr

Post by bdr »

You can drag individual V-Rack-ed instruments out of the V-Rack to the Tracks window via the Mixer. Open the mixer, make sure 'Show V-Racks' is checked in the mini menu. Create a track of the type you're wanting to move eg unassigned instrument, then in the mixer, drag the insert you want to remove from the V-Rack to the new track.

As far as I can tell, totally undocumented.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
dix

Post by dix »

bdr wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:38 pm You can drag individual V-Rack-ed instruments out of the V-Rack to the Tracks window via the Mixer. Open the mixer, make sure 'Show V-Racks' is checked in the mini menu. Create a track of the type you're wanting to move eg unassigned instrument, then in the mixer, drag the insert you want to remove from the V-Rack to the new track.

As far as I can tell, totally undocumented.
Oh, hey. This works too. Still feels like a workaround, but a totally viable one. Thx bdr!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com