Mono or stereo?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
harmonicaman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Mono or stereo?

Post by harmonicaman »

I have to record two mics , one for guitar and one for harmonica
and I have to record my guitar in instrument
I need to add different effects to each one so

Do I need to create mono track for each or stereo ?
Thanks in advance
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mono or stereo?

Post by stubbsonic »

Two mono tracks. That way you can add insert effects for each track individually-- which you can't do with a stereo track.

The reasons you might choose to record a stereo track would be if you were going to do lots of edits and you wanted to keep them as one "region" so edits were easier-- but even then you could temporarily group the tracks and that would make that editing part easier. Another reason would be that you wanted to create a very quick-and-dirty stereo mix (as you record), such that just record and share very quickly without any editing or mixing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What Jon says.

The only reason to create a stereo track is if you're recording a live performance using a stereo mic setup to capture a true stereo performance in a room—and then you lose control re effects etc. One mic on voice and another on guitar is never stereo until you make it so in post.

My bread-n-butter for many years was live stereo.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Mono source > mono track
Stereo source > stereo track.

You can process a mono track through stereo FX to increase width in the stereo spectrum. For example, I bus my mono vocals into stereo reverbs and delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

greg328 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:48 am Mono source > mono track
Stereo source > stereo track.

You can process a mono track through stereo FX to increase width in the stereo spectrum. For example, I bus my mono vocals into stereo reverbs and delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I wish some body could point me to some youtube videos
Thanks in advance
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Just search YouTube for audio recording basics, home recording, etc. The questions you are asking are not particular to any DAW. You need to get some of the fundamentals down that apply to most recording scenarios. There's tons of stuff out there. To bang the drum once again for Groove3 (no affiliation), here's a series that might be helpful: https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Recor ... Darlington
You can take advantage of the free trial.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

DP Masterwork Limiter has an easy to read histogram.
If it ain't enough for your actual goals, you may try iZotope RX Suite (specially Declipper) which, IMHO, is extremely handy and reliable.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...