Motu M4 -- using inputs 3 and 4

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
plb2010
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu M4 -- using inputs 3 and 4

Post by plb2010 »

I am new to the world of audio recording and editing and still learning, so please forgive me if the answer to my question is an obvious one...

With the Motu M4 is it possible to run condenser microphones to input 3 and 4 using external phantom power supplies and 1/4 to XLR cables so that I could record 4 mics simultaneously? As 3 and 4 are fixed line-level inputs, I suspect that I am missing something in my plan and that additional hardware, like a preamp?, is needed. Is this correct?
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu M4 -- using inputs 3 and 4

Post by HCMarkus »

plb2010 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:15 am...additional hardware, like a preamp?, is needed. Is this correct?
Yes.

For what you might pay for a phantom power supply, you can get a mic preamp. You can spend as little (or as much) as you like for a preamp and feature sets vary tremendously:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/595460 ... h-vu-meter

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/159569 ... compressor

Many two channel mic-pre's are also available, again, at a variety of price/feature points.

Use 1/4" TRS>TRS or XLR>XLR or TRS>XLR cables to connect your mic pre to the M4; that way you will have a noise-rejecting balanced connection.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

plb2010 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:15 am I am new to the world of audio recording and editing and still learning, so please forgive me if the answer to my question is an obvious one...

With the Motu M4 is it possible to run condenser microphones to input 3 and 4 using external phantom power supplies and 1/4 to XLR cables so that I could record 4 mics simultaneously? As 3 and 4 are fixed line-level inputs, I suspect that I am missing something in my plan and that additional hardware, like a preamp?, is needed. Is this correct?
There's another thread from yesterday with additional info on 3 & 4.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69789

I also like the Mackie ProFXv3 mixers. 6 channel/2 mic pre to 24/30 plus a 1/8" In (I use it for my iPad), all have only 2 channels out and the built in effects are pretty good. Normally, only 2 out is a minus but with two inputs in on the M4, it's not a detriment here. Inexpensive new at all the usual retailers and readily available used. If this looks good, you want the current version 3 (v.1 and v.2 aren't as flexible). Because it's a mixer, you can pan the channels between both outputs (the ProFX6v3 uses a switch instead of a pan pot).

https://mackie.com/en/products/mixers/profxv3-series
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
plb2010
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by plb2010 »

Thank you both. Two good suggestions (preamp or mixer).

I had also been thinking about using a small mixer for the sake of gaining a little more control over the input. I'm on a budget, so I was considering the YAMAHA MG06X.

--Pete