M2 - No sound from headphone output

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Unkas
Primary DAW OS: Windows

M2 - No sound from headphone output

Post by Unkas »

I just recently bought an M2 interface and had issues right off the bat.

I installed the drivers and have followed their troubleshooting page with the whole disabling power saving for USB and that whole shebang.
It started off with the default setting being at a sample rate of 192khz and I got some audio distortion so I figured I'd try a lower sample rate.
The issue here is that I don't get any sound whatsoever from the interface at lower sample rates. It has on occasion after mucking about with the settings provided sound at 44.1khz and 256 buffer size but it got real choppy and slowed down until it just stopped.
If I keep the windows sound panel up I can see the green bars moving so it should have some sound but the LCD on the device shows nothing at all.
I've tried three different cables, two USB C to USB c and one USB C to USB A that came with the unit.
As far as computer specs I'm running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 7 5800x cpu, Gigabyte RTX 3070 8GB gpu and Asus ROG Strix B550-F motherboard.

I've put in a support ticket with MOTU but no answers yet and from my research this seems like the perfect unit for my needs so I'd love to get it working so I don't have to return it.
CharlzS

Re: M2 - No sound from headphone output

Post by CharlzS »

Where are you setting the sample rate? The settings for ASIO and the system audio are different. Try setting the same sample rate in the Sound Control Panel the same as in the ASIO M2 settings in the task bar.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Unkas

Post by Unkas »

CharlzS wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:34 am Where are you setting the sample rate? The settings for ASIO and the system audio are different. Try setting the same sample rate in the Sound Control Panel the same as in the ASIO M2 settings in the task bar.
I used the program that came with the driver when I installed it. I've tried it both with the sync windows sample rate box checked and unchecked.
Here it is with one of the only working settings that give me sound. It has some recurring glitches but at least it makes sounds.

If I set it down to 44.1khz it goes dead silent and the device shows nothing even though the sound panel suggests there should be sounds coming from it.

It's my first time trying to route everything through an interface like this so forgive me if I seem confused.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Set the recording tab in the sound control panel to 44.1 also and try restarting the computer to see if the settings stick. 192k is tough on any box, therefore the glitches.
Unkas

Post by Unkas »

CharlzS wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:33 am Set the recording tab in the sound control panel to 44.1 also and try restarting the computer to see if the settings stick. 192k is tough on any box, therefore the glitches.
I've done that for all the ins from the device.

For some reason 192khz is the only sample rate to produce sound at all. I've tried setting it at everything from 44.1khz to 192khz and only in 192 am I able to actually hear anything (with the glitches of course).

I've had short sections where it's worked on 44.1khz but the audio started stuttering, going slower and eventually stopping.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

In the device manager, show hidden devices. Are there any MOTU M devices greyed out in audio devices? If so, look 2nd post here to remove and reinstall drivers: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69366
Unkas

Post by Unkas »

CharlzS wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:46 pm In the device manager, show hidden devices. Are there any MOTU M devices greyed out in audio devices? If so, look 2nd post here to remove and reinstall drivers: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69366
Just tried all the steps mentioned short of reinstalling Windows which I'm not very keen on doing in case it turns out I did it for no reason.

Now I've first uninstalled the drivers through "Add or remove programs", cleared the register using ccleaner, removed anything (including hidden devices) named MOTU from the device manager, rebooted, installed drivers and rebooted again. I've tried this whole process with three different drivers so far without any success. The problem persists that only 192khz audio plays but with the glitches. If I set the sample rate to 44.1khz and press something that triggers a setting like "Sync windows sample rate to device" on/off or "Use lowest latency safety offsets" on/off it will play for a second then go dead silent.
PlusUltra

Post by PlusUltra »

Hey man,

New here, just saw your problem and was experiencing something similar with my M2 and Voicemeeter. Got it all solved so I can assist somewhat.

I'm running an R7 5800X but I don't think that's the issue.

Make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard, there was an issue before where the USB devices where getting disconnected or not even connecting before on Ryzen.
On Windows, look for 'edit power plan', then look for 'change advanced power settings', look for 'USB settings' and make sure 'USB selective suspend setting' is disabled.

Now, install the latest Motu M2 driver. Then once you load the driver check the firmware and make sure it says '1.02' otherwise you'd need a firmware update.

I'm running my Motu M2 on Voicemeeter and have Ableton Live use the Voicemeeter ASIO Insert driver so it uses my Motu M2 almost directly.
My current setup allows me 24-bit/96KHz at 256 buffer size for an RTL of 8ms on Ableton Live with no audio crackling etc. but it can't do 24/192 @512 buffer size.

I suggest changing all hardware sound settings in your system to either use 24/96 or 24/48 (or if it can't, 16/48), on the M2 driver 'Sync Windows sample rate to device is on. Restart your M2 (turn it off and on again), check if the settings stuck or not. If it didn't, change it again to 24/96KHz with 256 buffer size. You shouldn't experience any more issues.
Unkas

Post by Unkas »

PlusUltra wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:54 pm
Make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard, there was an issue before where the USB devices where getting disconnected or not even connecting before on Ryzen.
On Windows, look for 'edit power plan', then look for 'change advanced power settings', look for 'USB settings' and make sure 'USB selective suspend setting' is disabled.

Now, install the latest Motu M2 driver. Then once you load the driver check the firmware and make sure it says '1.02' otherwise you'd need a firmware update.

I suggest changing all hardware sound settings in your system to either use 24/96 or 24/48 (or if it can't, 16/48), on the M2 driver 'Sync Windows sample rate to device is on. Restart your M2 (turn it off and on again), check if the settings stuck or not. If it didn't, change it again to 24/96KHz with 256 buffer size. You shouldn't experience any more issues.
Seeing this post gave me a bit of hope so I tried following all the instructions but with the same results. BIOS is updated to the latest and I still only get audio on 192khz even after all of this.

You mentioned changing all hardware sound settings in the system, is there a system wide option or will I have to manually do it for every unit?
Also my firmware says 2.00. In case it was a typo and supposed to be 2.02 I don't know how to get that since I'm using the latest installer from their website.