Tracks, Track Selection......aargh!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tracks, Track Selection......aargh!

Post by Michael Canavan »

One thing I will never get in DP is why Mixer Track Selection in the Consolidated window is tied to simple highlighted tracks in the Tracks window. The simple act of moving between the Tracks Window and the Mixer causes the Mixer to close all tracks except that which is selected in the Tracks Window, (not necessarily in the Track Selector)... This same logic does not reply to the Sequence Editor, selected tracks in the Sequence Editor do not change the visible tracks in the Mixer. It's just, weird. I can't think of a single reason why this behavior would be useful or a way to change preference so it doesn't happen. Seriously, as someone who stays in the Tracks Overview mostly until a song is done, I'm constantly having to correct this if I have the Mixer in the Consolidated Window. This of course does not happen if I have the Mixer window outside of the Consolidated Window, the Mixer then keeps it's Track Selection settings regardless of selected tracks in the Tracks Overview.

I would go as far as to call this a bug that's been around in some form or another since the Consolidated Window came around. It's an area of DP I hope and pray they concentrate on next in updates or upgrades. I often think that DP is fantastic at large Projects with huge templates, and multiple monitors, but is not ideal for laptops, and smaller projects for various reasons like this.

Just give us a more integrated user experience, user selectable selection rules, fusion between clips and various editors... :mumble:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
apanacci

Re: Tracks, Track Selection......aargh!

Post by apanacci »

Drives me nuts ! A very simple thing as that should be an option.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's not always obvious that something is a bug versus a feature, but it's difficult to see why anyone would want want to use the TO window to select what shows up in the Mixer, especially when there is an option to open a Track Selector in the CW, which you would expect to manage all of the editors.

Seems track selection was not thought through. The preferences for this don't make a lot of sense. There are three options that result in getting one Track Selector, or two of them, but no difference in function.

About the best you can do is assign a shortcut to the Show All Tracks command.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

My memory is foggy on this, but it seems this was the original way to limit the visible tracks in the mixer before the Track Selector was introduced. Or maybe I’m hallucinating.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

Does anyone know if MOTU has fixed this? I'm hoping yes and I missed it. Thanks
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Bugs me, too. I occasionally run into it when I mistakenly elect the wrong window within the Consolidated space.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Irimi Nage wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:07 pm Does anyone know if MOTU has fixed this? I'm hoping yes and I missed it. Thanks
I don't think they consider it broken. You might want to try to convince them otherwise.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I think the solution could be locks on the Track Selector, so you select tracks for the mixer that make sense for that window then hit the lock, etc. unlock to add or subtract tracks. It's probably harder than it sounds like to do though.

As it stands you can make a track template for each window and update it, but it still changes when you have tracks selected in the Tracks or Song window etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I hate this also. Drives me nuts. Would like to able to lock the mixer. In the Avid Pro Community people from Avid drop in all the time to help and read the posts. Not sure if that happens here. I wish techs from MOTU would.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com