import multiple audio file issues (DP 11.03)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

import multiple audio file issues (DP 11.03)

Post by sayatnova »

I am not sure if this a DP 11.03 bug, or not.. I select a group of mono WAV files on my desktop. I drag them onto the tracks window to the left side and I get the blue outline showing it sees the incoming tracks. I let go of the mouse and it automatically creates a track with the proper name for each sound file. It automatically converts the 48k files to my 96k session rate. So far, so great! I see the tracks as waveforms in the right side of the window. I go to play the tracks using the spacebar, and then all the waveforms disappear and are deleted. No audio plays. It is the same if I hit the play arrow in the transport section, or use the space bar to initiate playback...Not cool. If I go to the Undo History, there is a line input for Erase Tracks?... Huh? Could someone please check this and let me know if it works on their machine?

For more info:

I did this with an older session that had to be saved as a DP 11 file, and created a new file in 11, same result each time...

Shouldn't I be able to import multiple WAV files into a session and have it create tracks that are properly named and have the the soundbite loaded on the respective tracks? This should work, right? The manual seems to imply this.

Thank you!
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: import multiple audio file issues (DP 11.03)

Post by mikehalloran »

Did you give DP enough time to do any background processing? Does that window show up after you do the import?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Some follow-up:

Yes, all the background processing finished fairly quickly. So, that was not an issue. But thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

Turns out, for some reason DP wants to insert the files at the 53 minute mark... No idea why. So, my perception of the files disappearing was the when the counter was going back to 0:0:00 to start the sequence, the files were not visible...Only when you zoom way out do you see the files inserted at the 53 minute mark.

Trying to trouble shoot why they are appearing at the 53 minute mark, I made sure all selection counters were set to 0:0:0 before trying to drag the group of sound files from the Soundbites window to the tracks window, again. Still places them at the 53 minute mark. Once there I can elect them all and then shift them to the start of the sequence, but I would like to just have them inserted at the top of the sequence instead of having to go though this other step.

I can, however, drag a single soundbite over from the Soundbites window and place it at the beginning of the sequence. But, it will not give any visual indicator to place the files at the beginning of the sequence if you try and do that with a group of files at one time. Am I missing a setting or key combo to allow this to happen? I would just like to be able to drag a group of soundbites from the Soundbite window or the Finder into the tracks window, and have the tracks be named and the soundbites placed at the beginning of the sequence (or, wherever I would like them to go)! Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help and time, I appreciate it.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Where did the WAV files come from? Is it possible that they were internally timestamped to start at the 53 minute mark?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I recently had a problem where a new 11.03 project had a faulty time stamp issue. Everything appeared to record properly, but I noticed that the Original Time listed in the soundbite window had some high number. The soundbite was placed where it was recorded, but the time stamp was way off. If I hit command-T (move to original timestamp) the soundbite moved to the high number listed. After much fussing about I found that when I placed the soundbite at time zero the event info showed a sample position of -2. I didn't think negative numbers were even possible. I never did figure out what went wrong, but I corrected the error by moving each soundbite to time zero then nudging them 2 samples to the right and merging with the selection extending all the way to zero.

I realize this doesn't help, but that's the first time I've ever seen anything like this and it was in 11.03. Could be coincidence. Could be a bug. If a pizza falls from the sky is it an omen, or just a pizza? :?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've been flummoxed on occasion when importing audio files from a client's Logic project... where'd the files go?

Turns out they were all placed at 1:00:00:00, not at 0. Now I always look down the timeline before freaking.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 am I've been flummoxed on occasion when importing audio files from a client's Logic project... where'd the files go?

Turns out they were all placed at 1:00:00:00, not at 0. Now I always look down the timeline before freaking.
I've seen that importing from ProTools.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

The files were from a mixing course from Michael White (Mixing with Mike).I know he uses Pro Tools... Really Odd. How do you tell if the soundbite has a set start time embedded in it? Shouldn't that be able to be overruled on import for scenarios just like this? Can you edit the embedded start time data, if there?...
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

The original timestamp and the user timestamp can be found in the Sound File Information window. (Studio > Sound File Information) The user time stamp can be edited, but as far as I know the original time stamp cannot. You can however easily create a new sound file with desired time stamp by positioning the soundbite where you want it, select it then merge. The new merged file will have the time stamp corresponding to where you positioned it.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Excellent info, Phil! Thank you. Never had to look into that before, This helps a lot.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

You can also change the SMPTE start time of your sequence to 1:00:00:00 and the files will appear at the same time locations as they were recorded.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Kurt Cowling wrote:You can also change the SMPTE start time of your sequence to 1:00:00:00 and the files will appear at the same time locations as they were recorded.
Many times SMPTE start time is set to one hour in case time needs to be added to the front end of a cue. SMPTE can’t do negative numbers.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Could be the one hour start time difference coupled with a frame rate mismatch?

Is your main counter showing real time or frames?

You can do the math... :lol:
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Thank you for the replies, Everyone. I have never used or looked at SMPTE! But good to have this info if I need it in the future. I think for now, I will just move them and merge to create new files.
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

sayatnova wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:43 pm Shouldn't I be able to import multiple WAV files into a session and have it create tracks that are properly named and have the the soundbite loaded on the respective tracks? This should work, right? The manual seems to imply this.
I just encountered a problem with trying to drag multiple WAV files into a new session. I selected all the files, and dragged them into the Tracks window, but instead of distributing the files onto different tracks, DP stacked all the files on top of each other in Track 1.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6