Less buffer size when working with DAW more when listening?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
harmonicaman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Less buffer size when working with DAW more when listening?

Post by harmonicaman »

I still can't understand please help

Am I right?

When I am recording some thing in my DAW , Mixing , working on plugins I need to increase my Motu 4 Buffer size
and after every thing is done when I am listening to my recording or I go to my daily activity watch youtube etc
It is a good idea to increase my buffer size as much as possible?

Am I right?
And the reason is that when recording and editing I want to make sure I get low latency
but when generally I am on youtube or listening to music I want to use less ram and cpu So increasing buffer size is good idea

Right? :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Thanks in advance
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Less buffer size when working with DAW more when listening?

Post by mikehalloran »

Lower buffer = less latency when tracking. There are a lot of variables, none of which we know in your setup. Too low and you may have to limit the number of playback tracks while overdubbing. Again, this is a general rule and performance depends on your system and setup.

During mixing and playback only, a larger buffer minimizes CPU overhead.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

OK so I need low latency when I am working on my DAW ? right so I decrease buffer as much as possible
and when I am done and go back to daily music listening I increase buffer size ?
Thanks in advance
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A little more detail on MIke's explanation...

If you are recording a virtual instrument or monitoring thru the computer audio being recorded, a small buffer is vital. Small Buffer = Minimal Latency.

A small buffer forces your computer to process audio input and output more quickly, thus reducing the delay time between audio input and output. Since virtual instruments generate their sound within the computer, a small buffer means the VIs will be more responsive, less laggy, with a small buffer. A small buffer also makes your computer work harder, so the number of virtual instrument/audio tracks the computer can handle is fewer when running a small buffer.

Once you are done recording, you can increase buffer size without concern. This allows you to use more plugins and processing as you mix your project.

If you monitor hardware synths or other external audio inputs thru a hardware mixer, buffer size doesn't matter. A hardware mixer allows you to hear external audio sources without delay because the audio is not passing thru the computer first. Many audio interfaces have a built-in hardware mixer that allows near-zero latency monitoring of external audio sources being recorded.

Hope this helps.
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

thanks , That was exactly what I said right?
Thanks in advance
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

harmonicaman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:24 am thanks , That was exactly what I said right?
With all respect, no, it's not.
harmonicaman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 am OK so I need low latency when I am working on my DAW ? right so I decrease buffer as much as possible
and when I am done and go back to daily music listening I increase buffer size ?
It depends on what you are doing with your DAW and how you are doing it. And you have to increase the buffer size for daily music listening only if you are encountering drops outs or artifacts.
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:15 am
harmonicaman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:24 am thanks , That was exactly what I said right?
With all respect, no, it's not.
harmonicaman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 am OK so I need low latency when I am working on my DAW ? right so I decrease buffer as much as possible
It depends on what you are doing with your DAW and how you are doing it. And you have to increase the buffer size for daily music listening only if you are encountering drops outs or artifacts.
LOL OK , So my question is what kind of activities in DAW requires low latency and if my setting is like this

https://i.imgur.com/8VMQyJr.png

I suppose let's say in my DAW I add a delay plugin and I want to hear what immediate results low latency will let me hear the result faster?
Thanks in advance