Snapshots and channels on DP 11.x

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ivorysteve
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Snapshots and channels on DP 11.x

Post by ivorysteve »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:35 pm Maybe you don’t need to turn it off if you have the output for the MIDI track set to the channel you want it to go to instead of “any”.
I’d guess DP would then work like it always has and just ignore the channel info in the Note event.

Bear in mind that I have no idea what I’m talking about — I don’t have DP 11.
Haha! Yea, I DO have each track set to the specific MIDI channel it is targeting. I haven't encountered a library configuration yet where "any" would be particularly useful, actually.
-------
2018 Mac mini 6-core i7 32 GB RAM, UHD Graphics with 2 displays, MacOS Big Sur
2019 MacBook Pro i9 8-core 32 GB RAM, MacOS Big Sur as VEP slave
MOTU M4 audio IF, Monogram CC controller
DP 11
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

ivorysteve wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:03 am
bayswater wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:35 pm Maybe you don’t need to turn it off if you have the output for the MIDI track set to the channel you want it to go to instead of “any”.
I’d guess DP would then work like it always has and just ignore the channel info in the Note event.

Bear in mind that I have no idea what I’m talking about — I don’t have DP 11.
Haha! Yea, I DO have each track set to the specific MIDI channel it is targeting. I haven't encountered a library configuration yet where "any" would be particularly useful, actually.
I used a number of sequencers and a couple of DAWs prior to DP, and I recall they all stored the original MIDI channel, and played back on that channel. I remember being surprise to learn DP didn't and wondered how it could play back MIDI properly. Prior to DP I was used to having multiple channels in a track usually as an early analog of Articulation.

Presumably, MOTU has done this to make support for MPE work.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ivorysteve

Snapshots and channels on DP 11.x

Post by ivorysteve »

Just installed 11.04 and this bug still exists, FYI.

I wasn't expecting it to be fixed so quickly, but I guess a guy can dream...
-------
2018 Mac mini 6-core i7 32 GB RAM, UHD Graphics with 2 displays, MacOS Big Sur
2019 MacBook Pro i9 8-core 32 GB RAM, MacOS Big Sur as VEP slave
MOTU M4 audio IF, Monogram CC controller
DP 11
monty verdi

Post by monty verdi »

I have just installed 11.11 and this bug still exists.
In other words, the snapshot function is broken with regard to the MIDI channel and the Pan controller.

Whatever happened to regression testing?

I also dream...
CCarpenter

Post by CCarpenter »

Just installed 11.21 and the snapshot is still not working properly. Has anyone found a way around this? I'll detail a report to MOTU (a duplicate as I know other people have) but for now a critical feature is virtually disabled.
Gear: Late 2013 Mac Pro 3Ghz 8 core 32 GB 11.6.1.5, DP 11, MOTU 828X, MIDI Express 128, VISIONDAW PC Slave with VEP Pro 7
CCarpenter

Post by CCarpenter »

Just installed 11.22 and this issue appears to be fixed. So far it works as did previous version of DP. I'll continue to work with it and post if I find problems, but I appreciate MOTU's attention to this issue. This is the advantage, in my mind, of working with MOTU. They listen.
Gear: Late 2013 Mac Pro 3Ghz 8 core 32 GB 11.6.1.5, DP 11, MOTU 828X, MIDI Express 128, VISIONDAW PC Slave with VEP Pro 7