Mac Mail question

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Mail question

Post by gavspen »

Hi All,

I use Mac Mail to access/look at my gmail account. (I just like it that way. Dont try to talk me out of it. :wink: ). I was rearranging things the other day, created a new folder, and put a bunch of stuff in it. Mac Mail sees everything at gmail except the contents of this one folder (it sees the folder, just not what's in it). Looking at the gmail website I can see that there is actually stuff in the folder. Why cant Mac Mail see into this one folder? Anyone got a clue?

Thanks,
Gavin
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
stubbsonic

Re: Mac Mail question

Post by stubbsonic »

I still use Mac Mail and POP mail for my accounts, so maybe I'm even more old-school.

I'm curious if you were to use the "REBUILD" function if that might repair something.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:01 pm I'm curious if you were to use the "REBUILD" function if that might repair something.
Good thought, but I'm afraid not.

I chose the offending mailbox in the sidebar, held my breath and hit "Rebuild". Nothing, nada, zilch. Happily it didnt screw anything up at gmail. All still there, but all still invisible on my mac. Oy. (It says the mailbox will be empty until the rebuild is complete but I think I've given it plenty of time.)
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Try moving the items to your Inbox on the Gmail page, refresh, and move to the folder on Mac Mail. I use a similar setup and occasionally I'll get some oddities like this, that sometimes take some time for the synchronization issues to get sorted out. It sometimes takes keeping the website and application open simultaneously for a while.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mothra

Post by mothra »

Apple Mail and Gmail pretty much hate each other for the most part. It works but its not exactly a great experience. Apple really wants you using any other email address with Mail, and Google just wants you to stick to their web browser format.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

mothra wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:17 pm Apple Mail and Gmail pretty much hate each other for the most part. It works but its not exactly a great experience. Apple really wants you using any other email address with Mail, and Google just wants you to stick to their web browser format.
Been working fine for years until today.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

cuttime wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 pm Try moving the items to your Inbox on the Gmail page, refresh, and move to the folder on Mac Mail. I use a similar setup and occasionally I'll get some oddities like this, that sometimes take some time for the synchronization issues to get sorted out. It sometimes takes keeping the website and application open simultaneously for a while.
I dont think I want to do that since that would mix about 900 messages into my inbox and be a bit hard to weed out later. Could try making a new folder at gmail, moving them in, then out again on mac mail.

Just noticed everything looks fine on the ipad and phone. God I hate this crap. Haha.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mothra wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:17 pm Apple Mail and Gmail pretty much hate each other for the most part. It works but its not exactly a great experience. Apple really wants you using any other email address with Mail, and Google just wants you to stick to their web browser format.
Maybe not “any other email address”. I use 4 email services and none of them create folders that work well with Apple Mail. If I create a folder on the service, Apple Mail may or may not recognize and use it, and sometimes that seems to vary from version to version of Apple Mail.

It could be better to do the creation of folders within Apple Mail, as long as there are clear criteria that can be used to allocate a message to the folder that can be expressed in Apple Mail rules.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:14 pm
It could be better to do the creation of folders within Apple Mail, as long as there are clear criteria that can be used to allocate a message to the folder that can be expressed in Apple Mail rules.
I did actually do all the creating of folders/mailboxes, and the moving of emails, in Mac Mail. In Mac Mail the emails disappeared from the original mail box but did not show up in the new one. They did show up in the new mailbox at gmail. Weird.