Movie Sync Issues In DP 11.0.3

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Armageddon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Movie Sync Issues In DP 11.0.3

Post by Armageddon »

This is my first movie project in DP 11.0.3. I've set everything up properly: frame rate, sequence start time, chunk start time, the movie is imported, the transport on the movie player is locked, meaning that DP's transport should control the movie and vice-versa. Yet, I can't get the movie to play in sync with DP at all. In the interest of hitting my deadline, I've even tried downgrading to v10.13 and am experiencing the exact same problems. I have to assume at this point that it's a problem on my end. This is what I've been doing in both versions:

1) Open a new DP project.
2) Set the proper frame rate.
3) Import (or "Set") movie.
4) Set the movie start time.
5) Set the project start time (under "Sequence"; set "Chunk Start").

At this point, hitting "Play" on the DP transport or on the movie's transport should start both. It does not. DP plays, the movie never starts. I can start DP playing from either set of transport controls. If I drag the shuttle control in the movie, it moves DP and the movie to the same spot (lets say "a few seconds in"), and if I hit play on the movie's transport, they will play in sync until I hit stop. At that point, DP Auto Rewinds like it's supposed to. The movie stays wherever I just stopped it. Starting either the movie controls or DP's controls will start DP playing again, but the movie is stuck wherever I last stopped it. The transport controls on the movie are locked, so it should theoretically be locked to DP and vice-versa. I have no idea why it's doing this.

Edit: I've discovered something else. If I turn off Auto Rewind, I can sort of get the two to play in sync. For some reason, the act of rewinding either the movie or DP causes the video to lock up and not play when DP is playing, but if I stop it (Auto Rewind off) and hit "Start" again on either transport, it will play in sync. Rewinding DP back to Measure 1 or moving the shuttle controls in the Movie window back to the beginning will allow DP to play, but the movie not to. Until I hit "Stop", then "Start" from that point, and they'll both play in sync from that point. Obviously, this is still a major malfunction on my machine (across two different versions of DP). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Edit #2: I've gotten it to work back in DP v11.0.3 ... kind of. I actually changed the chunk start time from "0" (the movie and the sequence are supposed to start at the same time) to a few seconds in. It now appears to be behaving normally for the moment. But it won't let me start the sequence at the beginning of the movie? I've never actually had to start something at the beginning of a movie before -- most complete edits usually have color bars or some type of leader at the beginning, and even when you just getting some hastily-edited segments, the editor usually throw in a little bit of the previous scene or a few seconds of black at the head of the clip. I'm grateful that it's apparently just a glitch no one would normally know about and not some major issue with my machine!
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page