Motu M2 periodic buzzing noise

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Koilee
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu M2 periodic buzzing noise

Post by Koilee »

Hey,

so I got a new Motu M2 Interface about a month ago. Since then there are periodic buzzing sounds coming from the Headphone Amps at "random" times. Sometimes it runs 3 hours without a Problem and sometimes the buzzing happens twice in 5 minutes. Turning the Interface off and on again "fixes" the buzzing temporarily.

The output meter isn't showing anything of it and I already sent the first unit back and received a new one, with the same result. So at this point I am suspecting some Problem with my PC. I am not unfamiliar with how to setup a Computer properly for Audio Production, so I already worked through "all" the common steps. Got a suspicion, that it might has to do with my PSU, which is an older unit... but that's really just a guess into the dark.

I'm working on Windows 10 with fairly new Hardware (besides the PSU) and I'm starting to run out of ideas. I also recorded the buzzing ( https://voca.ro/1llmN9gokfKO ). Sorry for the noisy Background...

I would really appreciate any idea or advice on how to figure this out.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu M2 periodic buzzing noise

Post by mikehalloran »

Is there a PC you can borrow to see if you can replicate the problem?

Is this buzzing coming from the 'phones or does the box actually make noise you can hear?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cuttime »

It sounds like a bad connection in your headphone plug. I'd try another set of phones, If the problem continues, it may be a problem with the jack.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Koilee

Post by Koilee »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 am Is there a PC you can borrow to see if you can replicate the problem?

Is this buzzing coming from the 'phones or does the box actually make noise you can hear?
The Box itself doesn't make any noise. So as far as I can tell, it's only the Headphones. Unfortunately I don't have a pair of Monitors hear, so i cant tell if they would produce the noise as well.

So far I also tested the Interface on my Laptop and I am unable to recreate the issue after 7 hours time. So I am really not sure anymore, if the Problem is with the Interface.
Koilee

Post by Koilee »

cuttime wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:24 am It sounds like a bad connection in your headphone plug. I'd try another set of phones, If the problem continues, it may be a problem with the jack.
I will try that. But why would it appear so randomly and also it's the second M2 Interface i got after I encountered the issue with the first one as well.
It just makes it less likely for me, for it to be a Hardware issue. I'll try it out regardless, thanks.
Koilee

Post by Koilee »

Just wanted to give an Update:
After testing out some things and not getting any result, I was close to buying a new PSU (Probably will do that anyway in foreseeable time, thinking about one from Seasonic), but before I did I switched my graphics card with an older one I still had here and so far, after more then 6 hours of runtime, no buzzing whatsoever. I am still careful with predictions but it actually seems like it was the GPU causing interference.
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

I have this problem too this must be the hardware issue . I have a good PC with a lot of ram
Thanks in advance