learning performer lite will that help with digital performer

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
harmonicaman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

learning performer lite will that help with digital performer

Post by harmonicaman »

Hi

New in hear . Nice to meet you all.

I wonder if I learn performer lite , Will that help with digital performer ?
Is the interface and functions the same? or each one are different things?
Thanks in advance
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: learning performer lite will that help with digital performer

Post by HCMarkus »

I've never used Lite, (except for the beer many years ago) but can't imagine operation of the two versions will be completely different. I do know many capabilities the full version of DP provides are missing from Lite.

Welcome to MOTUNation!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you plan to learn DP, then I don’t think learning Lite first will save you much time and effort. DP has a lot of things that simply don’t exist in Lite. You won’t get any sense of how these work from using Lite.

I tried Lite with the thought that it might be better to use for simpler project, but concluded that it’s not any easier to use it for the things it does do — it just does less, so seems simpler.

In the event LIte is all you need, you’ll save time by not learning all the stuff in DP you’ll never use.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

OK thanks I will start my DAW with some thing else not lite then.
Thanks in advance
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Most of the editing and mixing is pretty much the same, so Performer Lite is a good intro. It's a good way to get familiar with the Lite/DP workflow. If you want to go at DP directly, you can download a fully functional demo and have a go at that. 30 days should be enough to know if DP is right for you. P-Lite can stand on its own and IMHO is just as good or better than any of the DAW lite/restricted versions out there.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Performer Lite is a port of DP 4 without a few essentials such as the Waveform Editor. Unless it’s been updated recently, it will not run over Big Sur or later—even on Intel machines. You are limited to 16 tracks each: Audio, MIDI, Aux.

One of my users accidentally updated to Big Sur. I had to go to his house and get him back onto Catalina so that Performer Lite would run again. Grrrrrr…..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:15 pm Performer Lite is a port of DP 4 without a few essentials such as the Waveform Editor. Unless it’s been updated recently, it will not run over Big Sur or later—even on Intel machines. You are limited to 16 tracks each: Audio, MIDI, Aux.

One of my users accidentally updated to Big Sur. I had to go to his house and get him back onto Catalina so that Performer Lite would run again. Grrrrrr…..
It has been updated to the counterpart of DP 11.03. It’s certainly not just a stripped version of DP 4. E.g. has ztx. The manual some odd reason was an edit, and not a complete one, of the DP 4 manual which made it even more confusing.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:15 pm Performer Lite is a port of DP 4 without a few essentials such as the Waveform Editor. Unless it’s been updated recently, it will not run over Big Sur or later—even on Intel machines. You are limited to 16 tracks each: Audio, MIDI, Aux.

It has been updated to the counterpart of DP 11.03.
I see it was updated 3 days ago. Good. It’s about time.

It’s certainly not just a stripped version of DP 4. E.g. has ztx. The manual some odd reason was an edit, and not a complete one, of the DP 4 manual which made it even more confusing.
DP 4 was better. It will be interesting to see if PL 11 is an improvement over the last two versions—the documentation does look better, thank goodness.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
harmonicaman

Post by harmonicaman »

Before some day buying digital performer I want to take my time and for months enjoy , learn and make myself familiar with the DAW
I am too busy to just put a side a specific time after download and installation.

So I thought I would go ahead and work on Performer lite if I know that learning performer lite in a long run when I like it and am ready
to upgrade will contribute to overall understanding and learning the digital performer.

That is why I asked if it worth using it
Thanks in advance
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:18 pm DP 4 was better.
No, it was not.
harmonicaman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:52 am So I thought I would go ahead and work on Performer lite if I know that learning performer lite in a long run when I like it and am ready
to upgrade will contribute to overall understanding and learning the digital performer.
Yes, it will.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:18 pmDP 4 was better. It will be interesting to see if PL 11 is an improvement over the last two versions—the documentation does look better, thank goodness.
LOL. I only had V4 for a couple of weeks on load from the music store while I was waiting for DP5 order.

First impression is Lite 11 has no advantage over DP. It’s not snappier or anything like that. What it does, it does pretty much the same way as DP. And then there’s stuff it doesn’t do, although there’s not a lot you can’t do one way or another. The interface is much less attractive — couldn’t use it for a long session.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CharlzS wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:53 am
mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:18 pm DP 4 was better.
No, it was not.
Speak for yourself.

DP 4 had the Waveform Editor and could handle more than 16 audio tracks. If forced to do my current work on my old G3, G4 or G5, I could do so in DP 4; I can't in Performer Lite.anything.

I support a few of my users making tracks in PL and am glad to be able to tell them they can click on Apple's nagging upgrade recommendations and go to Monterey. Fortunately, what they can't do, I can in DP but I sure wish that they would spend the Dough for the Do-Re-Mi and upgrade to DP.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:06 am Speak for yourself.

DP 4 had the Waveform Editor and could handle more than 16 audio tracks. If forced to do my current work on my old G3, G4 or G5, I could do so in DP 4; I can't in Performer Lite.anything.

I support a few of my users making tracks in PL and am glad to be able to tell them they can click on Apple's nagging upgrade recommendations and go to Monterey. Fortunately, what they can't do, I can in DP but I sure wish that they would spend the Dough for the Do-Re-Mi and upgrade to DP.
I was speaking for myself. I get it - it's missing the Waveform Editor.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don’t see the Waveform editor as much of an advantage. It might be if it worked with the sequence instead of being specific to the waveform. I use it to edit beats, but that could just as easily be done in the SE.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Where the heck did the DP4 comparison come from?

Performer Lite is of course a great place to start, of course the full version of DP11 is more complete, Tracks window, Waveform Editor etc. but IMO the workflow in Lite is how MOTU see the workflow in DP at least at the start of your journey, that’s what it’s for.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.