Browse MIDI patches with keyboard?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewaard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Browse MIDI patches with keyboard?

Post by dewaard »

Is there a way to navigate thru MIDI patches with they keyboard? Something like arrow-keys to go the the prev/next patch in the patchlist (in the track inspector)?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Browse MIDI patches with keyboard?

Post by James Steele »

Sorry nobody saw this post. I don't know if it's possible and I think that's actually invoking a MacOS routine perhaps? So not sure MOTU has control off allowing it to navigate that way? But it is interesting. I need to look into this to see if there's some kludge that might make it possible. Or course you can do that from a MIDI keyboard with patch changes, but from the QWERTY keyboard... like I said... need to investigate.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

I mostly use u-he synths. I know that if you keep the patches/presets window open in the synth GUI, you can simply use your up and down arrow keys on the keyboard and it will step through the sounds whilst you are auditioning them. Don't know about other soft synths, however.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

sayatnova wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:26 pmDon't know about other soft synths, however.
This looks like choosing a patch for the patch list that pops up when you click in the "patch" column of the Tracks Overview. That I think is a MacOS thing. Still need to investigate this.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I did a little preliminary poking around and I think you're out of luck on this one. MAYBE MOTU might be able to do something, but I think these pop up patch lists are a function of CoreMIDI which is why they tend to look the same in different DAWs. Don't think it's possible. I might ask someone at MOTU, but it's probably not a priority.

babyoliver

Post by babyoliver »

I've been trying to do this and it's frustrating-- you can get around the mac OS thing by going to Setup -> Commands, then search for "patch"...it will call up two commands, "next patch" and "previous patch". You can assign those to different keys instead of the default ones which use the command key (I set it to 7 and 9 on my keypad, for example). Then, if you highlight the track and press your newly assigned key, you can see it change the patch.

BUT-- it seems like it's scrolling through the "Default Patch" field, which doesn't send the patch change to the synth. I thought I had this working at some point and now it's not...any advice? Seems like I'm forgetting something obvious?!
Mickdoo22

Post by Mickdoo22 »

Bump......has anyone figured this out?
I used to used DP 2.6, and in that version when you clicked on the patchlist, it would stay open and you could scroll through patches using your computer keyboard rather than having so select a patch, play, reopen, select, etc...
I just started using DP11 and I don't see this functionality.
Any solutions?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Found it.

In COMMANDS, I searched "patch" and found that if you use CONTROL UP/DOWN ARROW it does go through the patches for the selected MIDI track.

On my Mac, I had to go to System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts, then select Mission Control on the left side, and turn off the CONTROL-UP ARROW. After that it works perfectly.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Nice! I hate those system key command conflict issues. Going through something right now where my add on extension that I LOVE, Default Folder, insists on using Command + Shift + 4 + Space for it's own search, in conflict with the MacOS key command to make a snapshot of an open Window. I keep deleting the hotkey from Default Folder and it keeps putting it back each reboot. Need to write the developer.

EDIT: I have to withdraw my complaint about Default Folder. I just downloaded an update (don't know why it didn't notify me... maybe I had that set wrong) and no more problem with it restoring the hotkey each boot.

Mickdoo22

Post by Mickdoo22 »

Thanks Jon! This helps a ton.,,,I found the Command and Next Patch Last Patch functions.
But I cannot get it to function. I have also tried assigning different keys to these functions and nothing.
I am sure I must be missing something obvious.
I looked at my old Mac G3 and I had set up the F13 and F15 keys and it worked great.
Frustrating....
Attachments
IMG_5922.jpeg
IMG_5922.jpeg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 641 times
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In the commands window, take notice that there are some Masters that need to be turned on.

Do other commands work ok?

I guess you could look through the System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts to see if there are things turned on in there that are blocking.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Mickdoo22 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:30 amI looked at my old Mac G3 and I had set up the F13 and F15 keys and it worked great.
Frustrating....
It might be basic, but make sure you don't need to hold down a modifier key to get it to actually send function keys. Looks like a Windows keyboard?

Mickdoo22

Post by Mickdoo22 »

Yes....other key commands are working fine. Completely bizarre.
I have looked through the MASTERS sectioned that looks fine. I have tried changing the key assignments to random assignments like a single number/letter or one with a combination and nothing.
I am now wondering if I am missing something even more basic.
When I go to select a default patch, I can select one, and then I have to go in and select one again and patch window will remain open....I can then go to select a different patch with the mouse which will close the patch list window. Is there a way to keep this window open?
I really appreciate your help on this.....
Attachments
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg (5.27 MiB) Viewed 551 times
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just realized that patch change in the COMMANDS is to the DEFAULT PATCH.

Also, the COMMAND doesn't work while the window is open. It must be closed and you just select the track name in the tracks overview.

As for seeing the list while you change patches. The only workaround I can suggest is to put the ScreenShot app in your dock, grab a screen shot and park it somewhere, or print it. (Not ideal, I know).

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Just guessing here:

incrementing and decrementing the "default patch" would theoretically only work for patches 000->127.

In order for this to work for those pop-up lists that're configured with midnam files, transitioning from the last patch in a bank to the first in the next as specified by said file, a MIDI bank change command would be necessary.

In-theory. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here