Ableton 11, M4, and cue/metronome output

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Rumor69
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Ableton 11, M4, and cue/metronome output

Post by Rumor69 »

Hi there - I am hoping you all can shed light on this for me. This is my first post, and while not new to DAWS, still have tons of learning to do.

Ok so I have Ableton 11 and a MOTU M4, and I am trying to figure out how to have the Daw output and click/metronome be output through the headphones jack on the M4.

In Ableton, I have Cue out set to output 3/4 on the M4, and Master Out set to 1/2 on the M4. I can see via the output meters on the M4 that both are receiving output, however, only 1/2 are output through the headphones.

I have tried the 3/4 button and the input monitor mix dial, but its almost like that only works for ACTUAL input.

Thanks for any advice - appreciated.
CharlzS

Re: Ableton 11, M4, and cue/metronome output

Post by CharlzS »

Not familiar with Live, but in DP I would probably do this by outputting the click to a bus and then creating a couple of aux tracks with that bus as the input. Set one aux output to 1-2 and the other to 3-4. I don't know that there is any setting on the M4 itself than can achieve this.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Rumor69

Re: Ableton 11, M4, and cue/metronome output

Post by Rumor69 »

Thanks - I will try that out.

I also thought out just getting a small mixer, running the 4 outs from the m4 into it and then using the output from the mixer :)

Essentially the same thing, but IRL.