MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB and macOS Monterey

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
HBIII
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB and macOS Monterey

Post by HBIII »

Hi everyone,

I have been using a MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB (firmware chip v. 2.01 and rom chip v. 1.32) standalone for a while now and I love it. However, I just bought a new 2021 macbook pro with the m1 pro chip (that comes preinstalled with macos monterey) for my studio and I was wondering if I would be able to connect the MOTU to my computer via the USB port. Is it class compliant or are there drivers or software anywhere that I need to download? I know it is an old unit but I hope I can get it working somehow!

Thanks so much!
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB and macOS Monterey

Post by mikehalloran »

Hi,

Long story short, MOTU no longer supports their older hardware. In this case, the drivers for the current MIDI devices work with the older ones, too — you just have to know which units use the same driver and where to look. Go to this site and find MIDI Interfaces in the left drop-down; MIDI Express XT on the right. You'll see a driver for MacOS 12 and a manual that also covers the MTP USB AV.

https://motu.com/en-us/download/

Here's a direct link to the manual foe Mac
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/MIDI/ ... de_Mac.pdf

Inside, there's a CR2032 settings battery. Unless you know it's fresh, change it. 2 screws holds the top on, slide the cover toward the back to remove IIRC. Besides not holding settings, a battery that's too old can leak and cause damage to the insides—no one wants that. Hmmm... wonder how long it's been since I've changed mine?

While the cover is off, look at the sticker at the EPROMs—if one doesn't show 1.32, this will not work with an Intel Mac (or an M1 either, I presume).

Likewise, the Firmware must be 2.0.1. This is displayed on start up also.
https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images ... 00x300.jpg

These have been unavailable from MOTU since 2012 when I bought the last pair. If yours don't match, I've seen replacements on eBay and Reverb in the last couple years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

My MIDI Timepiece AV USB, Firmware 2.01, worked perfect in OS 12.3 on my Mac Pro Late 2013.
But with my new Mac Studio Max, it does not work.
I talked to Motu tech suport and they told me that it will not work on this new processors.
All the MIDI interfaces from Motu has som years since they was produced.
Anyone have some suggestions for a new MIDI interface? I do not need so many in and out anymore som 4 in and 4 out should be enough.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

shansen1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:15 am My MIDI Timepiece AV USB, Firmware 2.01, worked perfect in OS 12.3 on my Mac Pro Late 2013.
I talked to Motu tech suport and they told me that it will not work on this new processors.
Anyone have some suggestions for a new MIDI interface? I do not need so many in and out anymore som 4 in and 4 out should be enough.
Well that seems like the definitive word. Time to dump my MTP/AV and get myself a new *supported* MOTU MIDI interface.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I’m in the same boat, once I move to AS M1. Not there yet but soon-
Greg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

greg328 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:02 pm I’m in the same boat, once I move to AS M1. Not there yet but soon-
Greg.
One thing to consider is that there's probably a current MOTU MIDI interface that will work with Intel Macs AND will be able to make the transition to M1 Macs. Might be smart to buy one of those now and offload old MTP/AVs for whatever you can get for them. Before long, when word gets out, you won't be able to give them away.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

shansen1 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:15 am My MIDI Timepiece AV USB, Firmware 2.01, worked perfect in OS 12.3 on my Mac Pro Late 2013.
Did you actually try downloading and installing the newer driver. It's not obvious that it works for the MTP/AV but there's another user on this board that has it working with an M1 MacBook Air:
Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:27 pm James, I'm using an MTP/AV on the M1 with the MacBook Air.

I guess I didn't explain it well, but basically MOTU are behind on their website when it comes to the MTP/AV. When you go to download the driver it only shows the one from 2017 which won't work. BUT!! if you select the Express XT or 128 you get the latest driver. Download it and during installation it will ask you what interface you're installing it for, and the MTP/AV is one of the choices! :dance:

greg328

Post by greg328 »

Looking at the MOTU website, examining all the MIDI interfaces offered, (I think there’s only four), I see no mention of support for the new Apple Silicon machines. So I don’t know if MOTU has officially announced that their MIDI hardware is AS-ready. I’ll be looking here for anecdotes from you guys/gals!

Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

greg328 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:07 pm Looking at the MOTU website, examining all the MIDI interfaces offered, (I think there’s only four), I see no mention of support for the new Apple Silicon machines. So I don’t know if MOTU has officially announced that their MIDI hardware is AS-ready. I’ll be looking here for anecdotes from you guys/gals!

greg328 read Jame's post directly before yours. Yes MOTU's MIDI interfaces including the MTP/AV are working natively on M1 Macs, but they dropped the ball with updating the MTP/AV page to show that, downed the driver "for" the Express or 128 and it will prompt you if you are using it for the MTP/AV or not when you install it. Clockworks is M1 native as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:
greg328 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:07 pm Looking at the MOTU website, examining all the MIDI interfaces offered, (I think there’s only four), I see no mention of support for the new Apple Silicon machines. So I don’t know if MOTU has officially announced that their MIDI hardware is AS-ready. I’ll be looking here for anecdotes from you guys/gals!

greg328 read Jame's post directly before yours. Yes MOTU's MIDI interfaces including the MTP/AV are working natively on M1 Macs, but they dropped the ball with updating the MTP/AV page to show that, downed the driver "for" the Express or 128 and it will prompt you if you are using it for the MTP/AV or not when you install it. Clockworks is M1 native as well.
This feels like such a gift not to have to replace my MIDI interfaces if I get a new M1 Mac at some point. Awesome that Clockworks is M1 native and can, I assume, manipulate the settings of the MTP/AV.

shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

James Steele wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:59 pm
Did you actually try downloading and installing the newer driver. It's not obvious that it works for the MTP/AV but there's another user on this board that has it working with an M1 MacBook Air:
Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:27 pm James, I'm using an MTP/AV on the M1 with the MacBook Air.

I guess I didn't explain it well, but basically MOTU are behind on their website when it comes to the MTP/AV. When you go to download the driver it only shows the one from 2017 which won't work. BUT!! if you select the Express XT or 128 you get the latest driver. Download it and during installation it will ask you what interface you're installing it for, and the MTP/AV is one of the choices! :dance:
I used the last driver all the time, with my old Mac Pro and in the new Mac Studio, the MTP AV has the last chip update and I even put a new battery.
The sad message is that the old MTP AV does not work in Mac studio. That is also confirmed by the Motu tech support.
Actually all the MIDI interfaces from Motu has som years on their back. And the info about the drivers is not crystal clear if they really work with the new macs.
Michael Canavan

shansen1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:16 am
James Steele wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:59 pm

I used the last driver all the time, with my old Mac Pro and in the new Mac Studio, the MTP AV has the last chip update and I even put a new battery.
The sad message is that the old MTP AV does not work in Mac studio. That is also confirmed by the Motu tech support.
Actually all the MIDI interfaces from Motu has som years on their back. And the info about the drivers is not crystal clear if they really work with the new macs.
I think you didn’t do what I’m telling you to do. I’m sorry if that seems rude but there’s absolutely no reason that the driver would work in my M1 Air but not work on your Mac Studio, none.

Again if you instal the latest driver in the downloads section that MOTU directs you to when you select the M1 it will not work, select the driver for the express XT and it will.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this thread. I'm hoping to buy a Mac Studio in October or so... definitely before the end of the year so I can take the write-off. It would be a relief to know I can keep my old MIDI interfaces... especially since with the dominance of VIs today, I'd hate to have to spend more money just to keep my "nostalgia" synth modules connected. Although I don't use them frequently, every so often I may use them. Also, unless there are manufacturers who are going to make devices that conform to the MIDI 2.0 spec, can't see a need to update MIDI interfaces with the 5-pin DIN plugs.

Michael Canavan

shansen1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:16 am I used the last driver all the time, with my old Mac Pro and in the new Mac Studio, the MTP AV has the last chip update and I even put a new battery.
Please try downloading this driver. It flatly states it's Monterey and MTP/AV comparable, you select the appropriate instal after download.

https://motu.com/en-us/download/product ... s=true#108
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:04 pm
shansen1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:16 am I used the last driver all the time, with my old Mac Pro and in the new Mac Studio, the MTP AV has the last chip update and I even put a new battery.
Please try downloading this driver. It flatly states it's Monterey and MTP/AV comparable, you select the appropriate instal after download.

https://motu.com/en-us/download/product ... s=true#108
Dear Michael,
That is the driver I have been using all the time, and I am sorry to say it again. It does not work with Mac Studio machines.And so say the Motu tech support. :D