MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB and macOS Monterey

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB and macOS Monterey

Post by Michael Canavan »

shansen1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:06 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:04 pm
shansen1 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:16 am I used the last driver all the time, with my old Mac Pro and in the new Mac Studio, the MTP AV has the last chip update and I even put a new battery.
The sad message is that the old MTP AV does not work in Mac studio. That is also confirmed by the Motu tech support.
Actually all the MIDI interfaces from Motu has som years on their back. And the info about the drivers is not crystal clear if they really work with the new macs.
Please try downloading this driver. It flatly states it's Monterey and MTP/AV comparable, you select the appropriate instal after download.

https://motu.com/en-us/download/product ... s=true#108

Dear Michael,
That is the driver I have been using all the time, and I am sorry to say it again. It does not work with Mac Studio machines.And so say the Motu tech support. :D
If you currently go to MOTU's website and select the MTP/AV you do not get the driver I posted here!!

You haven't communicated in the least that you understood that you cannot download the "recommended driver for the MTP/AV", this is why I keep pushing it. There's again no logical reason why the same family of chips would result in a different outcome for two people. I am running the MTP/AV on an M1 MacBook Air just fine, there's no structural difference in the M1 family of chips that would prevent you from using the MTP/AV and MOTU tech support is merely human, they can be wrong.

Try installing the driver I posted here, and if it doesn't work, then at least you tried.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael posted the same driver I suggested in my first reply to you post.

Mine is working fine over Monterey on my Intel Mac but I’ve been too busy to try it on my M1.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

Mac Studio and hardware connections
I am an MOTU user from day one, where there was only MIDI. My collection of MIDI interfaces and audio interfaces cower the whole history of MOTU products.

To day I use:
Mac Studio with M1 Max processor
MOTU Digital Performer 11.04.
MOTU 1248 Audio interface, connected with Thunderbolt and adapter from old Thunderbolt to the new Thunderbolt 4.
MIDI Keyboard Arturia KeyLab 61 and a Yamaha Clavinova, bout connected with USB.
MIDI Timepiece AV USB, Firmware 2.0.1 does not work. Even the battery inside is new.
I have used the driver for all the currant MIDI interfaces:
Mac v89555 since it was introduced in Oct. 13. 2021
The MTP AV worked perfect on my old Mac Pro (late 2013) with the last OS 12.3 and the same driver for Mac v89555.
And of course I downloaded the current driver and installed it in my new Mac Studio.
I cannot explain why the MTP AV works on some other M1 Macs. But the statement is still the same. It does not work on my Mac Studio machine.
Also confirmed by Motu tech support.

I have contacted MOTU to order a “MOTU Micro Lite” MIDI interface, if they can promise that it will work with the Mac Studio. I will give you a rapport when I have the answer.

After using Mac Studio for 10 days, I must say it works perfect.
The programs and plugins that are still made for intel machines, runs in Rosetta 2, and the others like Digital Performer runs native.

It is only my old trusted MTP AV that have to go. :sorry:
Michael Canavan

shansen1 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:28 am Mac Studio and hardware connections
I am an MOTU user from day one, where there was only MIDI. My collection of MIDI interfaces and audio interfaces cower the whole history of MOTU products.

To day I use:
Mac Studio with M1 Max processor
MOTU Digital Performer 11.04.
MOTU 1248 Audio interface, connected with Thunderbolt and adapter from old Thunderbolt to the new Thunderbolt 4.
MIDI Keyboard Arturia KeyLab 61 and a Yamaha Clavinova, bout connected with USB.
MIDI Timepiece AV USB, Firmware 2.0.1 does not work. Even the battery inside is new.
I have used the driver for all the currant MIDI interfaces:
Mac v89555 since it was introduced in Oct. 13. 2021
The MTP AV worked perfect on my old Mac Pro (late 2013) with the last OS 12.3 and the same driver for Mac v89555.
And of course I downloaded the current driver and installed it in my new Mac Studio.
I cannot explain why the MTP AV works on some other M1 Macs. But the statement is still the same. It does not work on my Mac Studio machine.
Also confirmed by Motu tech support.

I have contacted MOTU to order a “MOTU Micro Lite” MIDI interface, if they can promise that it will work with the Mac Studio. I will give you a rapport when I have the answer.

After using Mac Studio for 10 days, I must say it works perfect.
The programs and plugins that are still made for intel machines, runs in Rosetta 2, and the others like Digital Performer runs native.

It is only my old trusted MTP AV that have to go. :sorry:
OK cool, sorry if I was seeming rude but most people online tend to ignore details.

One last thing here, in your setup description it's not clear how you're plugging the MTP/AV into the Mac Studio. I discovered while visiting relatives that the two USB3 Sabrent 1TB SSD enclosures I have will not mount to the Thunderbolt connections on the M1 Air, the lights on them don't even go on. They mount just fine through the two OWC TB2 and TB4 Thunderbolt docks I have. They will not mount directly to the M1 Air with a USBc to USB A cord or with a Thunderbolt to USB A cord. It's a weird but understandable issue since the USB etc. in the Sabrents is at least an 8 year old standard.

So if you haven't tried it, plugging the MTP/AV into a powered USB 3 hub or multi connector type dock like the OWC ones might solve your issue as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

I just got a reply back from MOTU about their website issues, and the official word is the MTP/AV is not officially supported on M1 Macs, so there's that. It works with the Air, and I would assume the other earlier M1 Macs, but so far unless Shansen1 is able to use a port to get the MTP/AV to work on the Studio we can assume it's end of line for the MTP/AV. :?
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm I just got a reply back from MOTU about their website issues, and the official word is the MTP/AV is not officially supported on M1 Macs, so there's that. It works with the Air, and I would assume the other earlier M1 Macs, but so far unless Shansen1 is able to use a port to get the MTP/AV to work on the Studio we can assume it's end of line for the MTP/AV. :?
The Mac Studio has two USB-A ports. I have tried to connect direct to the Mac Studio with the USB-A connection, and also tried to connect to a powered USB Hub.
But no luck. It does not show in the MIDI setup window.
I had the MPT AV since it was introduced, it is so many years that I almost forgot how many. It will be missed.

I also have two MOTU FastLine MIDI interface, they show in the MIDI setup window and in DP MIDI info, but they do not work very good, big delay and hanging notes. The MOTU tech support mention that they are not supported. They are very old to.
Michael Canavan

shansen1 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:21 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm I just got a reply back from MOTU about their website issues, and the official word is the MTP/AV is not officially supported on M1 Macs, so there's that. It works with the Air, and I would assume the other earlier M1 Macs, but so far unless Shansen1 is able to use a port to get the MTP/AV to work on the Studio we can assume it's end of line for the MTP/AV. :?
The Mac Studio has two USB-A ports. I have tried to connect direct to the Mac Studio with the USB-A connection, and also tried to connect to a powered USB Hub.
But no luck. It does not show in the MIDI setup window.
I had the MPT AV since it was introduced, it is so many years that I almost forgot how many. It will be missed.

I also have two MOTU FastLine MIDI interface, they show in the MIDI setup window and in DP MIDI info, but they do not work very good, big delay and hanging notes. The MOTU tech support mention that they are not supported. They are very old to.
The frustrating part here is that it does work for me. It might be due to the OWC hub, since I'm connecting to the Thunderbolt input in the Air, then it's being translated to USB3 by the hub. Just a guess because it's a similar problem on the surface as the UB3 enclosures not being recognized by the Air unless they're hooked to the OWC dock. I can't plug my USB3 hubs directly into the M1 Air since it only has two Thunderbolt 4 ports. You're obviously doing the right thing by replacing it though, since for one, those OWC docks cost about the same as the MOTU Express 128 etc.

It's probably not impossible for MOTU to support the MTP/AV on the Studio, it's just not cost effective for them to, and it could be a hardware issue, since the MTP/AV mounts through Thunderbolt with a hardware dock in the middle here. The only consolation is that they might spend more time coding DP11. :x

So I'll chalk this up as another expense when I move up to a 16" MacBook Pro or the Mac Studio next year. :?
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

Current MIDI Interfaces from MOTU
MOTU confirmed that all current MIDI Interfaces will work wit the new Mac Studio.
But the Interface I wanted: "Micro Lite" are currently out of stock and they do not know when or if they are going to produce more.
The next would be to buy a "Micro Express" USB but the info on the download page is a little inconsistence.
The last Firmware download from July 2017 say that it support older Mac OS. It is not possible to instal these update on a new system.
I am a little confused.
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

shansen1 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:24 am Current MIDI Interfaces from MOTU
MOTU confirmed that all current MIDI Interfaces will work wit the new Mac Studio.
But the Interface I wanted: "Micro Lite" are currently out of stock and they do not know when or if they are going to produce more.
The next would be to buy a "Micro Express" USB but the info on the download page is a little inconsistence.
The last Firmware download from July 2017 say that it support older Mac OS. It is not possible to instal these update on a new system.
I am a little confused.
MOTU tech confirm that the MOTU MIDI interfaces work with most M1 computers. But they have received reports that there is problems with current MIDI interfaces and the new Mac Studio computer. They are investigating and testing and promise to have a solution soon.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

OK, so here's a good story. I have a recording session in two weeks where the engineer has asked to record both audio and MIDI from my rig. I think he wants to replace my Pianoteq sounds with Ivory after the fact. Whatever... but how am I going to get MIDI to him?

I connect my Yamaha MOXF-8 to my new MBP M1Max via USB for both MIDI and audio. The keyboard is the audio interface and all my sounds are coming from MainStage (not local from the Yamaha). The Yamaha has both USB and DIN MIDI connectors, but they are exclusive (either/or). So, the easiest solution is out.

I check the basement for an old Fastlane, because it has a MIDI thru. Must have gotten rid of it. I have an M-audio interface that's just a couple of cables with a lump in the middle, but no MIDI thru. That leaves my MTP-AV that I haven't powered up in probably 10 years. Bought it around 1998.

I visit MOTUnation and find this thread. I open the MTP-AV to find the chips inside labelled 2.0.0 and 1.1. Display says 2.0.0 on power up. Dang...

But, it can't hurt to try, right? I install the latest MOTU MIDI driver and connect up with an Apple USB-C to USB-A convertor.

Clockworks and Audio/MIDI Setup both see it! I connect up the Yamaha controller and sure enough I can play stuff in MainStage. I go into Clockworks to make one of the MIDI outputs into a Thru. It lights up correctly on the front of the MTP-AV, so I assume it works, although I don't have a way to test until I get to the studio. The only problem I've had so far is that if the MBP goes to sleep I need to reboot the MTP-AV to re-establish the connection.

So, maybe the issue is specific to the new Mac Studio?...
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

The issue is specific to the Mac Studio 8)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

shansen1 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:29 am
MOTU tech confirm that the MOTU MIDI interfaces work with most M1 computers. But they have received reports that there is problems with current MIDI interfaces and the new Mac Studio computer. They are investigating and testing and promise to have a solution soon.
I am assuming that, when MOTU gets current production MIDI boxes such as the MIDI Express XT (USB) working on the Studio, legacy devices such as my MTP-AV USB and others will also work (as long as they have the 2.0.1 firmware and 1.32 USB chip set). They use the same drivers and mine works fine with my M1 MBAir.

As for legacy TB devices not working through TB2–TB3 adapters, remember that TB1 and TB2 specs include bus power. While TB3 spec is 60V minimum, the Apple adapter does not pass bus power at all. Most hubs do provide power and placing the adapter after the hub often allows the devices to work.

The same needs to be kept in mind if connecting legacy FW devices to TB3: FW bus power spec is 27V, the Apple FW-TB adapter only passes 7.7V and again, the TB2–TB3 adapter passes none. Fortunately, my 828mkII FW is not bus powered but I have drives and CD/DVD players etc. that are. I put all of my FireWire gear in a box for eWaste recycling this last week except for the 828 and a couple of cables.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
APLON

Post by APLON »

Kurt Cowling wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:18 pm OK, so here's a good story. I have a recording session in two weeks where the engineer has asked to record both audio and MIDI from my rig. I think he wants to replace my Pianoteq sounds with Ivory after the fact. Whatever... but how am I going to get MIDI to him?

I connect my Yamaha MOXF-8 to my new MBP M1Max via USB for both MIDI and audio. The keyboard is the audio interface and all my sounds are coming from MainStage (not local from the Yamaha). The Yamaha has both USB and DIN MIDI connectors, but they are exclusive (either/or). So, the easiest solution is out.

I check the basement for an old Fastlane, because it has a MIDI thru. Must have gotten rid of it. I have an M-audio interface that's just a couple of cables with a lump in the middle, but no MIDI thru. That leaves my MTP-AV that I haven't powered up in probably 10 years. Bought it around 1998.

I visit MOTUnation and find this thread. I open the MTP-AV to find the chips inside labelled 2.0.0 and 1.1. Display says 2.0.0 on power up. Dang...

But, it can't hurt to try, right? I install the latest MOTU MIDI driver and connect up with an Apple USB-C to USB-A convertor.

Clockworks and Audio/MIDI Setup both see it! I connect up the Yamaha controller and sure enough I can play stuff in MainStage. I go into Clockworks to make one of the MIDI outputs into a Thru. It lights up correctly on the front of the MTP-AV, so I assume it works, although I don't have a way to test until I get to the studio. The only problem I've had so far is that if the MBP goes to sleep I need to reboot the MTP-AV to re-establish the connection.

So, maybe the issue is specific to the new Mac Studio?...
I would love to try and figure out how this worked for you! I’ve just bought a new 14” M1 Max MacBook Pro. Spent days getting all my plug ins installed and seeing what works and doesn’t. I completely forgot about getting my USB MTPAV to work…

I was using it with my 2016 Intel MacBook Pro with no issues. It says it’s firmware 2.0.0. when it’s turned on.

I followed the instructions on this thread for the correct driver (and also tried the more recent one) but it just can’t be see in Audio / MIDI set up (connect via an Apple dongle to go from USB-A to C).

Does anyone have any ideas or do I need to buy a new interface?
APLON

Post by APLON »

Actually I just got it to work!
It has to be connected directly to the Mac, not via any sort of hub (powered or not).
It’s rather annoying because there’s only three ports on the laptop now and I need one dedicated for my audio interface, one dedicated for the thunderbolt monitor (with drives connected) and I then used the third with a hub for ILok, Maschine, MTP etc.
It means I have to remove some things for now and I guess eventually buy a new interface…
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have to report in this thread, that as I posted elsewhere... specifically here:

viewtopic.php?t=72484

... that my MTP/AV AND the old MTP2 daisy chained to the MTP/AV's network port are both working fine with my Mac Studio with the exception that if I use Clockworks to mute certain events (i.e. Sysex Messages), it appears I can do it, but when I close Clockworks the changes don't actually "stick." I can live with that issue for now though.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!