Digital Performer 11.03 has dropped today!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Digital Performer 11.03 has dropped today!

Post by James Steele »

Here it is....

https://motu.com/en-us/download/product/489/

Changes and new features
For a comprehensive list of new features, please refer to New Features in Digital Performer 11, available in Digital Performer's Help menu, which provides the page number in the manual for each new feature.

Enhancements introduced in version 11.03

Enhancements and optimizations
• SetSelectionToRememberTimes, SetSelectionToMemory and SetSelectionToAutoRecord, only set the selection in already selected tracks, unless there is no selection.
• When the track color is changed, update color sent to Softube plug-ins.
• Improve responsiveness of pan control for Console 1 (VST3)
• Improve timing coming out of count-off.
• Improve audio - video time relationship.
• Added a Transpose Exempt item to the Sequence Editor's Track Settings Menu for MIDI and Audio tracks.
• Improved QuickScribe layout precision and rendering at non-integer zoom levels.
• Optimized updating latency compensation in large projects with complex routing.
• Improved QuickScribe glyph alignment on Windows.
• UI optimizations to improve UI performance during playback, especially on Windows.
• Updated to UVIWorkstation 3.1.3 (supports Apple Silicon natively).

Fixes
• Fixed an issue with the VST3 support for Console 1, where send volume was not displayed correctly.
• Fixed a possible crash in VST3 Console 1 support.
• Fixed a crash due to multiple threads trying to translate MIDI.
• Fix a Windows bug causing keyboard shortcuts including the Alt key to not respond in certain circumstances when the user presses alt as the first key in the key combination.
• Fixed a bug where selecting multichannel events was inconsistent.
• Fix a crash that could occur with certain configurations of tracks and V-Racks.
• Fixed a hang that could occur when using external video hardware.
• Disabled Metal in macOS 10.13.
• Fixed track index display in Console 1 / VST3.
• Fixed a bug where the 'Show/Hide Articulation Palette' command was always disabled.
• Fixed a Mac-specific bug causing mouse scrolling not to respond in certain HTML-based windows.
• Fixed a bug where changing a note's articulation would not update the event information window.
• Fixed a crash when undoing a split note operation which results in a new track on a track with an articulation map.
• Fixed a bug that could cause large projects to become unresponsive when opening QuickScribe for the first time.
• Updated the offline resources panel to DP11 (previously had a few places where this incorrectly still said DP10).
• Fixed the case where the first beat of countoff click could be late.
• Mitigated a Windows visual glitch where the background of certain progress windows may fail to draw completely at certain UI scale values.
• Fixed a bug where setting the buffer size via the control panel when using an ASIO driver was not working.
• Fixed cases when enabling or disabling pre-gen mode across all tracks (Live Performance Mode, metronome mode, external sync, etc) to also include v-racks.
• Fixed a crash when recording from a custom console after a previous record pass.
• Fixed a Windows bug that could cause certain third-party plugin GUIs to become unresponsive during playback.
• Fixed a bug causing the MCU Single Fader's track pinning to return incorrect tracks in certain project configurations involving nested folders.
• Fixed a bug where peeking at MIDI note with the translator was incorrectly editing the internal translator data. This fixes the ghost notes bug.
• Fixed a bug where Sound Bites in the Sequence Editor wouldn't listen to the Track Selector event filter.
• Fixed a bug where a bad menu item was added the the Mixing Board mini menu every time the menu was displayed.
• Fixed a bug where dragging clips with grid snapping would make it so that offset clips couldn't be moved to time 0, and where dragging without grid snapping could move clips before time 0.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
corbo-billy

Re: Digital Performer 11.03 has dropped today!

Post by corbo-billy »

My bad; sorry _ :oops:
Last edited by corbo-billy on Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

corbo-billy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:46 pm Enhancements introduced in version 11.03

Enhancements and optimizations
• SetSelectionToRememberTimes, SetSelectionToMemory and SetSelectionToAutoRecord, only set the selection in already selected tracks, unless there is no selection.
• Improve responsiveness of pan control for Console 1 (VST3)
• Improve timing coming out of count-off.
• Improve audio - video time relationship.
• Added a Transpose Exempt item to the Sequence Editor's Track Settings Menu for MIDI and Audio tracks.
• Improved QuickScribe layout precision and rendering at non-integer zoom levels.
• Optimized updating latency compensation in large projects with complex routing.
• Improved QuickScribe glyph alignment on Windows.
• UI optimizations to improve UI performance during playback, especially on Windows.
• Updated to UVIWorkstation 3.1.3 (supports Apple Silicon natively).

Fixes
• Fixed an issue with the VST3 support for Console 1, where send volume was not displayed correctly.
• Fixed a possible crash in VST3 Console 1 support.
• Fixed a crash due to multiple threads trying to translate MIDI.
• Fix a Windows bug causing keyboard shortcuts including the Alt key to not respond in certain circumstances when the user presses alt as the first key in the key combination.
• Fixed a bug where selecting multichannel events was inconsistent.
• Fix a crash that could occur with certain configurations of tracks and V-Racks.
• Fixed a hang that could occur when using external video hardware.
• Disabled Metal in macOS 10.13.
• Fixed track index display in Console 1 / VST3.
• Fixed a bug where the 'Show/Hide Articulation Palette' command was always disabled.
• Fixed a Mac-specific bug causing mouse scrolling not to respond in certain HTML-based windows.
• Fixed a bug where changing a note's articulation would not update the event information window.
• Fixed a crash when undoing a split note operation which results in a new track on a track with an articulation map.
• Fixed a bug that could cause large projects to become unresponsive when opening QuickScribe for the first time.
• Updated the offline resources panel to DP11 (previously had a few places where this incorrectly still said DP10).
• Fixed the case where the first beat of countoff click could be late.
• Mitigated a Windows visual glitch where the background of certain progress windows may fail to draw completely at certain UI scale values.
• Fixed a bug where setting the buffer size via the control panel when using an ASIO driver was not working.
• Fixed cases when enabling or disabling pre-gen mode across all tracks (Live Performance Mode, metronome mode, external sync, etc) to also include v-racks.
• Fixed a crash when recording from a custom console after a previous record pass.
• Fixed a Windows bug that could cause certain third-party plugin GUIs to become unresponsive during playback.
• Fixed a bug causing the MCU Single Fader's track pinning to return incorrect tracks in certain project configurations involving nested folders.
• Fixed a bug where peeking at MIDI note with the translator was incorrectly editing the internal translator data. This fixes the ghost notes bug.
• Fixed a bug where Sound Bites in the Sequence Editor wouldn't listen to the Track Selector event filter.
• Fixed a bug where a bad menu item was added the the Mixing Board mini menu every time the menu was displayed.
• Fixed a bug where dragging clips with grid snapping would make it so that offset clips couldn't be moved to time 0, and where dragging without grid snapping could move clips before time 0.
See my first post. I probably added that right as you were posting this. :lol:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Hopefully this isn't just about Softube plug ins, With the Launchpad MK3 in mixer mode the track colors do not update until you touch the pads...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Oh, and I'll be honest, I'm spoiled by past updates with upgrade level new features, but stability is #1, which took a slight turn for the worse with .02 in my experience here. I suspect the .1 update with new features won't come until late spring or summer.

Mostly I would just like to see Clips in DP be a lot more transparent, as it stands they steal the looping feature of parsed MIDI, and only have their subwindow for editing; no Drum, Event, MIDI, Waveform Editor windows available until you unpack the Clip which makes real copies of looped MIDI automatically.

Again I am happy about stability though, not trying to be a whinger here.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So it is stable? I wasn't sure from your post.

Does anything in 11 work better than it did in 10? None of the new features, other than expandable faders is of interest to me, so unless it works better, I'm not seeing a reason to update from 10.

I was happy to get MIDI regions as an aid to arranging MIDI (not interested in the Clips window), but it looks like the editing possibilities have not been expanded.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:23 pm So it is stable? I wasn't sure from your post.

Does anything in 11 work better than it did in 10? None of the new features, other than expandable faders is of interest to me, so unless it works better, I'm not seeing a reason to update from 10.

I was happy to get MIDI regions as an aid to arranging MIDI (not interested in the Clips window), but it looks like the editing possibilities have not been expanded.
From whose post? My post was merely a notification... not a review. Seems stable to me, but I haven't been using it much and "stable"... especially THESE days... seems to be increasingly in the eye of the beholder. It totally depends on your complexity of projects and your setups and all the other variables. You can always rename your existing 11.02 version "Digital Performer 11.02" instead of "Digital Performer" before running the installer and it will not be overwritten. You can always use the previous version if you encounter any issues. It's pretty standard practice for me to always append the version number to the app name after installing a new version.

greg328

Post by greg328 »

I just installed 11.03, hoping it’s a little more stable than 11.02, I was having a lot of “spinning beach ball” “waste of time” occurrences with the previous version. Here’s hoping—

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:56 pm
bayswater wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:23 pm So it is stable? I wasn't sure from your post.

From whose post?
Michael was talking about stability but it wasn’t clear to me whether he thought .03 is more stable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:10 am
James Steele wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:56 pm

From whose post?
Michael was talking about stability but it wasn’t clear to me whether he thought .03 is more stable.
While it's not really possible to confirm stability in just a couple hours, the whole update is geared towards bugfixes and at least attempts at stability. That's all I was saying, it's not a fancy update with exciting new features, but the promise is a smoother ride.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for the heads-up, James.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

greg328 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:02 pm I just installed 11.03, hoping it’s a little more stable than 11.02, I was having a lot of “spinning beach ball” “waste of time” occurrences with the previous version. Here’s hoping—

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well-still have the spinning beach with 11.03. Gotta explore what's going on--My Mac is sluggish these days---- :-)

Greg
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

All quiet on the 11.03 front. Doesn't seem better or worse from this end.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

I was hopeful given the "Disabled Metal on 10.13" note that it would also help on 10.14, but performance with a video assigned is still abysmal / borderline unusable on my Mac Pro 5,1 with an AMD RX580 card. This is on a brand new, fresh-install 10.14 system drive where the only thing installed is DP11. Beachballs appear for almost everything I do, and the delays range from 5 to 78 (!!!!!) seconds. This is for things like renaming a marker, etc.

Performance on projects without a video file assigned (or after clearing a video from an existing project) is generally as snappy as DP10 was on 10.13. Maybe even a tiny bit better, though that may be due to it being a fresh system instead of my old drive with 3+ years of cruft on it.

I realize this is the end of the line for the 5,1s, but I was hoping to squeeze another couple of months out of it before having to drop $6k on a new MPB. For now, if I have to do any video/score-to-picture work, the only realistic option is to boot into 10.13 and run DP10.

(Mac Pro 5,1, AMD RX580, 64 GB Ram, Dual X5690 CPUs, all SSD)
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I played around with 11, but have stayed working DP10 for now.

I'll wait until I migrate to Apple Silicon to make the move to DP11. Just not worth the time involved given the EOL status of our ancient Mac Pros.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31