Need High Sierra 10.13

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Need High Sierra 10.13

Post by Jim »

James Steele wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:05 pm The GPU I am using is an AMD Radeon 7950.
Thanks for the info, James. My main (mixing for DP and video editing) Mac has an AMD Radeon as well.

It's not fair to compare an NLE to a DAW in video respects, as NLEs are using the GPU more and more as developers evolve the products. Premiere has an option to use the CPU or GPU for rendering effects in real-time as the video plays. Some effects are written for GPU and some for both.

I was a little surprised to see somebody raving about Metal, due to my circumstance. I don't play video games, which generally benefit from advances in GPUs and their rendering architecture. When DP is playing, my GPU meter hardly registers. I surmise it's doing the GUI animation, and that for plug-in GUIs that display a spectral graph, etc.

It's possible that the Premiere coders just haven't figured out how to get max performance from Metal vs. OpenCL, and the weak link isn't Metal.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Jim wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:58 am
James Steele wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:05 pm The GPU I am using is an AMD Radeon 7950.
It's not fair to compare an NLE to a DAW in video respects, as NLEs are using the GPU more and more as developers evolve the products. Premiere has an option to use the CPU or GPU for rendering effects in real-time as the video plays. Some effects are written for GPU and some for both.

I was a little surprised to see somebody raving about Metal, due to my circumstance. I don't play video games, which generally benefit from advances in GPUs and their rendering architecture. When DP is playing, my GPU meter hardly registers. I surmise it's doing the GUI animation, and that for plug-in GUIs that display a spectral graph, etc.

It's possible that the Premiere coders just haven't figured out how to get max performance from Metal vs. OpenCL, and the weak link isn't Metal.
Agreed. And I wasn't comparing DP to NLEs. Obviously the GUI for a DAW is not very demanding. I just was knocked out by how responsive DP feels when changing Window Sets. Nothing I said should be construed to mean better performance for NLEs. And as always... I'd expect the first place you'd see improvement would be an Apple product like Final Cut Pro X since Apple seems to have a head start on utilizing its newer technologies.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Jim

Post by Jim »

James, I'm the perp that compared apples to oranges (NLE v. DAW). I didn't mean to imply that was you. I was just remarking about my experience with Apple Metal. i hardly give the GPU any thought working on a DAW or the audio functions in an NLE.

BTW, I've made several feature requests to Adobe to make their track mixer, with its send/bussing architecture more like DP's. They only recently implemented drag-copying and copy-pasting effects from one track insert to another, and the ability to save presets.

I did my last paying post production job on BlackMagicDesign Resolve, and was very pleased to learn that the Fairlight audio section was immediately familiar to me due to my familiarity with DP.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Have any luck?

If not, try this site for downloading various Mac OS. I never had any problems with the downloaded OSX's.

https://www.downloadmacos.com/

Haven't needed them for a couple of years, so I hope they're still operating. I even donated to the cause because they saved me from having to upgrade from my 2009 MacPro 5,1. I'm running High Sierra 13.6 no problem with DP11.03.

Just be careful and don't click on any advertisers links while you work your way through the download!

Then, you can create a bootable USB drive with High Sierra installer. Follow this:

https://www.macworld.com/article/230242 ... drive.html
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That site's perfect for a dunce like me mate. Thank you!

I've wasted sooo much time over the years trying to find various versions of Mac OS and have frequently resorted to torrents, all of which worked perfectly FWIMBW. It's hit-and-miss as to whether you can find the OS you're looking for 'though... but not at the site you linked to. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Some inexpensive USB drives will not work as I found out. You can write to them but they do not boot. Bought some at Best Buy then had to return them over this. OTOH, you can use any size as long as it’s larger than the minimum. Just know that it will be erased during the process.

I keep all of these archived including a few that cannot be found on download sites such as OS 10.6.3 for restoring 2010-11 iMacs and 10.13.3 for those using external GPU (disabled in 10.13.4–6, restored in Mojave).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Right and thanks Mike.

Yes, I used good 16 gig USB sticks and all went well.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Great thread. It took me a few years to find the right link to upgrade an old MacPro to High Sierra when the App Store was not helpful. The upgrade was smoother than silk. Thumbs up to all the helpers/advisors. :headbang:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

Hi AntFarm1,
The link for downloading OS 10.13 (High Sierra) above is no longer working. Do you have another link handy?
Thanks,
TnMike :)
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

TnMike wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:25 pm Hi AntFarm1,
The link for downloading OS 10.13 (High Sierra) above is no longer working. Do you have another link handy?
Thanks,
TnMike :)
This page has download links for many discontinued MacOS.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Click on the one you want and an App Store page will open that you will not find by searching the App Store (really, Apple?). Click on Get, go through a couple of qualifiers and the download should begin. When done, you will find it in your Applications folder as Install MacOS…

If you get an error, the normal cause is that you have a MacOS installer on your System drive anywhere—you must remove that and reboot first. Zipping it, then trashing the original before rebooting works.

If you are using any kind of eGPU including DisplayLink or any app that enabled iPads etc. to function as monitors, the version of High Sierra 10.13.6 in the App Store will disable those. You will need the 10.13.3 installer—PM me for that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:42 pm This page has download links for many discontinued MacOS.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
Ha! I could've used this last week. Bookmarked now. Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net