Separating Mic and Loopback Tracks

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
afsh
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Separating Mic and Loopback Tracks

Post by afsh »

Hello there,

Apologies for my simplistic question, I've searched the forums and couldn't locate the answer.

I'd like to be able to record my voice separately to any audio captured through Loopback.

Is there a way to route/record Mic 1 and Loopback audio onto separate tracks? Or will they always be mixed into one?

I'm using Adobe Audition (multitrack session), and both Windows and Audition's sound settings are using the Loopback Mix as the input.

Thank you for any advice.
Regards,
A.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Separating Mic and Loopback Tracks

Post by Phil O »

Loopback has the ability for multiple outputs. Simply add an output and route signals accordingly.
I'm not familiar with Audition, but I know that in DP adding an output in Loopback shows up as an additional input in DP's Bundle window.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
afsh
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by afsh »

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for your friendly and prompt response. :)

Maybe it’s an Audition problem, as I’m not able to assign any other outputs other than Motu Channel 1 or Motu Channel 2 into the tracks. (Basically only the physical inputs, not the loop back).

Do you think the windows settings play a role in allowing the software (Audition) to see available outputs?

Many thanks.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

afsh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:15 pmDo you think the windows settings play a role in allowing the software (Audition) to see available outputs?
You actually should be looking for available inputs (not outputs).

I suspect the problem may have something to do with Audition and ASIO drivers and associated restrictions. I don't know if you can have inputs from two devices at the same time (MOTU and Loopback). Perhaps someone familiar with Windows can chime in here. Try googling "multiple audio devices in Audition with Windows." You can also try posting another question here about using multiple devices with Windows (I'm a Mac guy :wink: ).
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.