Preventing UAD Meter & Control Panel launching at boot?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Preventing UAD Meter & Control Panel launching at boot?

Post by James Steele »

Okay... EVERY time I ran the UAD installer, it always set things so that the UAD Meter & Control Panel app launched automatically on boot. I found this to be a PITA and not something I wanted, but UA in their infinite wisdom always does this. Well, turning this off used to be as simple as removing it from the Login Items in the under the Users and Groups system prefs panel, but no more. It doesn't show there, so it appears like UA is using some other mechanism to force this unwanted auto launch behavior on users.

Does anyone know how to turn this off?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Preventing UAD Meter & Control Panel launching at boot?

Post by James Steele »

Never mind! As it turns out, like so often, I dug a little deeper and figured this one out for myself.

Seems you have to go into:

<hard drive>/Library/LaunchAgents/

and then delete com.uaudio.uad-meter.plist. That seems to take care of it.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Glad you found it, James. I was just about to reply because I just went through this myself. I wonder why they changed things?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Thanks for posting that, James - I just upgraded to a Mac Studio and had to re-install everything UAD and couldn't figure out why the console was loading if it wasn't in the user login items - - - was really bugging me so thank you!
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Shoot - I just turned my Mac on and lo and behold - there popped up the UA Console! Grrrr - still gotta figure it out...
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

if you want something that can really screw up your system if you use it badly...

https://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/

will help you control everything that launches as a system agent or launchd process.

BE CAREFUL!!
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

joelmusic wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:55 am Shoot - I just turned my Mac on and lo and behold - there popped up the UA Console! Grrrr - still gotta figure it out...
I think if you do a UAD update it automatically reinstalls the com.uaudio.uad-meter.plist file in the LaunchAgents directory so you need to delete it each time you update.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

I'm having the same situation but the only thing that even appears in the LaunchAgents folder are a couple google things. I removed it from login items of course. Anyone figure out anything more? I'm running 11.7 on a 2021 intel MBP.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ggm1960 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:12 pm I'm having the same situation but the only thing that even appears in the LaunchAgents folder are a couple google things. I removed it from login items of course. Anyone figure out anything more? I'm running 11.7 on a 2021 intel MBP.
What version of MacOS are you using? AFAIK, on earlier OS versions all you had to do was go into the Systems Preferences > Users & Groups, and then select Login Items, unlock the little lock at the lower left to make changes, and then select it and remove the Login Item.

If there is no file called "com.uaudio.uad-meter.plist" at <hard drive>/Library/LaunchAgents/

... then maybe you installed the plug ins for only a particular user?

Check inside <hard drive>/Users/<your user name>/Library/Launch Agents/

It might possibly be there instead.

ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

James Steele wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:30 pm
ggm1960 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:12 pm I'm having the same situation but the only thing that even appears in the LaunchAgents folder are a couple google things. I removed it from login items of course. Anyone figure out anything more? I'm running 11.7 on a 2021 intel MBP.
What version of MacOS are you using? AFAIK, on earlier OS versions all you had to do was go into the Systems Preferences > Users & Groups, and then select Login Items, unlock the little lock at the lower left to make changes, and then select it and remove the Login Item.

If there is no file called "com.uaudio.uad-meter.plist" at <hard drive>/Library/LaunchAgents/

... then maybe you installed the plug ins for only a particular user?

Check inside <hard drive>/Users/<your user name>/Library/Launch Agents/

It might possibly be there instead.
I did find it just now but situation was actually the opposite, I'd been looking in my own library but the file was in the "standard" library so the response was helpful, thanks! :headbang:
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Another approach....

I found this here: https://uadforum.com/community/index.ph ... tup.18862/
Stop UAD Meter & Control Panel from automatically launching at Log in =
Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/com.uaudio.uad-meter.plist
Right-click the file and copy it onto the desktop
Delete the old com.uaudio.uad-meter.plist
Open the copied file on the desktop with Text Edit
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
Change it to
<false/>
close the window
Put the file back to Launch Agent
This apparently works with AvidLink also.

I suspect that each time you in stall a new version, this file is overwritten so it will begin auto-launching again.

Cheers,
George

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sounds like a more elegant solution. Thanks for sharing it.

ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

I suspect that each time you in stall a new version, this file is overwritten so it will begin auto-launching again.

Cheers,
George
Yep, dealing with that again right now.

Also reminder to self: never enable another 14 day free trial.
Now every time I start DP I get a pop up to remind me that the 14 day free trial of Manley Massive Passive has expired. Thanks UAD, I knew that a month ago. UAD: the car warranty spammer of the audio world
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ggm1960 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:15 pm

Cheers,
George
Yep, dealing with that again right now.

Now every time I start DP I get a pop up to remind me that the 14 day free trial of Manley Massive Passive has expired. Thanks UAD, I knew that a month ago. UAD: the car warranty spammer of the audio world
You might be able to stop that by going in to DP's Preferences, and unchecking UAD Massive Passive so that DP doesn't attempt to load it a launch. I uncheck all the UAD-2 plugs I don't actually own as I don't want to see plugs in the plug-in pop-up that I can't use.

ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

James Steele wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:26 pm
You might be able to stop that by going in to DP's Preferences, and unchecking UAD Massive Passive so that DP doesn't attempt to load it a launch. I uncheck all the UAD-2 plugs I don't actually own as I don't want to see plugs in the plug-in pop-up that I can't use.
I did take a look at that but it was more complicated than I anticipated; it wouldn't allow me to modify the default setup so I created another and named it "UAD Sucks" but that did not solve the issue and I certainly didn't do something right but have not gone back to look.

I went into library>audio>plug-ins>components and deleted some of those unauthorized (why are they even there?) plug-ins. I haven't gotten back to determine if that is a good method or not yet.