Copying/moving RAID 0 content

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

jb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Copying/moving RAID 0 content

Post by jb »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using 4xmv2 ssd modules in a RAID 0 configuration on a PCIe card to stream the
bulk of my sound libraries.
I want to replace the 512mb modules with 2TB ones so I need
to move the whole content to a single drive momentarily and back to the new mv2's
once they are connected to the PCIe, is it ok to clone the original content to a
single drive and then copy it back to the new RAID set?

If anyone has any advice/expertise on how best to go about this it would be very helpful.

Thanks!

JB
DP 11.2 MAC OS 10.13.6 Bumped Mac Pro 5,1 12 Core 3,2Ghz 128GB RAM
Pcie M2. SSD's x4 internal + Ext. SSd's. VE_PRO, LASS, Hollywood Strings, Brass, Berlin Wwinds, Spitfire Symphony Orch..etc
mikehalloran

Re: Copying/moving RAID 0 content

Post by mikehalloran »

It's RAID 0. Nothing special you need to do as long as the new drives are set up correctly and ownership is identical in GetInfo (take a screen shot for reference). If there is any doubt, zip the old files before moving onto a temporary drive.

Format your temporary drive as GUID APFS and check Ignore Ownership in GetInfo when done.

If space is an issue as it usually is, zip your libraries one at a time, move the archived file to its temporary location (it will copy) then delete the original and zipped file from your VI drive. This will free up space as you go along so you can include more VIs in subsequent archives. When done, you will have everything zipped and onto the temp drive. Change the drives on your card, configure and format with the exact name as the old array (this is important or DP will not know where they are). Check your ownerships and privileges on the new array using that screen shot for reference. Now, move all your zip files to the new array. Select All and double-click to expand — this grants your files ownership and permissions. Delete the zipped archives and empty Trash.

If, when setting up the new array, you were careful to get the name, ownerships and permissions identical, there was no need to zip the files before moving twice. Zipping and unzipping, however, is cheap insurance that keeps mistakes from giving you a troubleshooting headache.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jb

Post by jb »

Thanks Mike, great info!

Somehow I had the feeling you were going to be the one chiming in on this... :)
I've seen lots of your posts and they are always on point with super useful
tips and challenging thoughts + your overall knowledge on all this
seems to be way above most of us on this forum.

I had anticipated that RAID 0 should be reasonably doable through reading about it on line
but the devil is in the detail so all your tips about zip. files, permissions etc...
allow me to check all the boxes for a safe move.
Great stuff.
Pcie M2. SSD's x4 internal + Ext. SSd's. VE_PRO, LASS, Hollywood Strings, Brass, Berlin Wwinds, Spitfire Symphony Orch..etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shortly after I posted, I received a 4TB SSD to replace a 2TB that got too full. Transferring my VIs as I type this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jb

Post by jb »

Aha, Black Friday WE overflow I suppose? :D