V Racks vs VE Pro

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
oceantracks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

V Racks vs VE Pro

Post by oceantracks »

I'm about to become a new user of DP and am wondering if anyone with large templates uses V Racks rather than VEPro?

I'm one of the apparently rare souls who just doesn't like VE PRO, and find it confusing and cumbersome. Yet most composers you see on YouTube seems to use it. To me V Racks are much simpler, and I'm curious as to why DP users would choose VEP over them.

Thanks
Tom
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: V Racks vs VE Pro

Post by James Steele »

oceantracks wrote:I'm about to become a new user of DP and am wondering if anyone with large templates uses V Racks rather than VEPro?

I'm one of the apparently rare souls who just doesn't like VE PRO, and find it confusing and cumbersome. Yet most composers you see on YouTube seems to use it. To me V Racks are much simpler, and I'm curious as to why DP users would choose VEP over them.

Thanks
Tom
I think the main reason composers are using VE Pro is because usually they are hosting their virtual instruments on another computer which is lightening the load on their main DAW machine. You can’t do that obviously with V racks. Also, many people have reported that it is more efficient on CPU hosting virtual instruments within VE Pro even on the same computer.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dix

Post by dix »

I use VEP on a single computer. I still prefer it to V-Rack on large projects. It's at least as efficient CPU-wise as DP in pre-gen, but runs noticeably smoother. V-Rack is better, and far simpler to use, for small to medium projects, but VEP is still a necessity for me on big ones.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

oceantracks wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:13 am Yet most composers you see on YouTube seems to use it. To me V Racks are much simpler, and I'm curious as to why DP users would choose VEP over them.
It's not that you choose one over the other... you use them together, as a team.

I use multiple computers, but I'd use VE Pro the same way even with one. In VE Pro, I have my full template always loaded, but only the stuff I'm currently using is active. In DP, I control which VI's I'm currently using, and from DP I can control many other aspects of VE Pro.

This way, RAM and CPU management become almost a non-issue (with certain caveats, of course).

I could not see myself working without VE Pro. It's the central hub of everything, which DP controls.
Try it out as a free demo first. I bet you will improve your workflow ten-fold and will love it too.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I am using VEP now on single computer with gobs of ram. The last mac we bought enabled us to move away from the life of slaves. I has been an absolute joy with DP 10 and then 11 with VEP on the host mac. DP runs so stinking fluid it makes my head spin.Very grateful
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
dix

Post by dix »

labman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:00 am I am using VEP now on single computer with gobs of ram. The last mac we bought enabled us to move away from the life of slaves. I has been an absolute joy with DP 10 and then 11 with VEP on the host mac. DP runs so stinking fluid it makes my head spin.Very grateful
Well, the OP said they'd prefer not to use VEP. I would think that with a 2019 Mac Pro and gobs of RAM you would have the option to work with fairly large templates using V-Rack only. For me, I stick with VEP because of the resource efficiency. If that wasn't an issue I'm not sure I would bother with VEP. Have you tried creating and using VEP-less templates, labman?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 pm
labman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:00 am I am using VEP now on single computer with gobs of ram. The last mac we bought enabled us to move away from the life of slaves. I has been an absolute joy with DP 10 and then 11 with VEP on the host mac. DP runs so stinking fluid it makes my head spin.Very grateful
Well, the OP said they'd prefer not to use VEP. I would think that with a 2019 Mac Pro and gobs of RAM you would have the option to work with fairly large templates using V-Rack only. For me, I stick with VEP because of the resource efficiency. If that wasn't an issue I'm not sure I would bother with VEP. Have you tried creating and using VEP-less templates, labman?
No doubt things are better with VE Pro than without. But if the goal is to run reasonably sized project with a few VIs on a reasonably up to date Mac, I don't think you need it. My test project with 32 instances of VIs including NI and Falcon, with 4 MIDI channels on each, on a 32G 2018 Intel Mini, along with another 400+ audio tracks and loads of Aux channels and effects, gives CPU loads at around 60%. I might be able to push things further with VEP, or run all this at lower buffer sizes, and less CPU load, and some members here no doubt have orchestral templates that would bring this Mini to its knees, but I think you have to be running some pretty demanding stuff before VEP is really needed, or indeed, makes any noticeable difference.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
labman

Post by labman »

dix wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 pm
Hey there Dix! The file size of each DP file bloats too big for us to do that all inside DP. Our VEP template stays pretty much unchanged, excepting for timekeepers that need hands on alot. Those go inside DP itself. Enables us to keep the DP file size under 10mb. And because we are suing VEP the way we do, DP is very fast and effeieicnt for us. Good suggestion though!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

labman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:03 am ... And because we are suing VEP the way we do, DP is very fast and effeieicnt for us. Good suggestion though!
:shock:

:lol:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

oceantracks wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:13 am I'm about to become a new user of DP and am wondering if anyone with large templates uses V Racks rather than VEPro?

Thanks
Tom
There are many valid ways to work, without or without either. That being said, V-Racks are not a direct replace of Vepro for several reasons that I will elaborate on below. And in fact if you use VePro you will want to use V-Racks also together with it!

VePro has the advantage of running in a separate process, and if you want, on a separate computer. Since its in a seperate process (Even when on the same computer), you can load and unload projects from your DAW at your will without having to reload all the sample libraries all over again. V-Racks provide the same thing when switching between different sequence chunks...but if you need to load a seperate project...then....it doesn't. That is one way VePro can really help, if you use a lot of large orchestral templates...you can have all your sample libraries loaded up 24/7 regardless of which project, or even which DAW for that matter; that you want to use at any moment...all the DAW projects become much thinner without having to load any sample libraries.

VePro has very good automation support, V-Racks do not support parameter automation at all!

If you use VSL instruments and/or MirPro, then VePro has a lot of cool stuff built in for hosting those things...This may be moot point if you aren't using those.

anyway, if you do decide to use VePro you will still want to host the VePro plugin in a V-Rack... That way the V-Rack is a proxy that connects to the VePro instance...and you can switch your sequence chunks at will, and they all route the MIDI through the V-Rack to get to VePro.

VePro is not for everybody and nor do I think its absolutely essential but I do feel it offers some advantages over V-Racks that should be acknowledged and I think if you are going to regularly work with large orchestral templates that require multiple minutes, maybe even 10's of minutes...to load....then VePro is almost essential IMHO.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

ps - I don't use VePro at all for non-orchestral projects.
labman

Post by labman »

FMiguelez wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:13 am
labman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:03 am ... And because we are suing VEP the way we do, DP is very fast and effeieicnt for us. Good suggestion though!
:shock:

:lol:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good catch FM!! I sure aint known for my typing abilities! Even worse with dictation.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

VEP has many benefits. One is that I am able to reduce my buffers from 1024 to 256 or even 128. At 1024 I had to edit MIDI tracks excessively because of the delay relative to the quantize value. What a chore just using DP! Now it's very snappy and I'm happy again.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Vepro actually adds a very large buffer automatically, so that's why it performs as if you have DP set to a very large buffer size.

The only thing affected by the smaller buffer size is the current live channel...and then in the VePro plugin there is the 2x, 3x, etc.. setting which is actually multiplying whatever your DP setting is...for the same reason...

Generally Vepro running on the same machine as your DAW will have very comparable buffer size results as just using your DAW alone. If you put VePro on another computer then you may have to increase that multiplier.

There is nothing else magic going on with VePro that will somehow get more out of your computer... its just that since it is enlarging the buffer sizes, even though you may not have realized, that seems like its performing better, but you could just enlarge the buffer of DP and accomplish the same thing with V-racks.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

It should be mentioned that if you're simple about the VEP plug in routing wise, hosting the plug ins in the VEP server on the same computer can increase the responsiveness of the GUI in DP. Probably because VEP adds it's own buffer as Dewdman mentioned, so I'm guessing here but, you have armed real time tracks, VEP which adds a buffer to armed tracks, and unarmed tracks which DP adds it's own increased NextGen™ buffer to.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.