Anyone know where I can get Mac OS 11 Big Sur?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone know where I can get Mac OS 11 Big Sur?

Post by Killahurts »

When Monterey was released, I knew it would be harder to find Big Sur, but I was able to follow an Apple support thread to where it could be downloaded via the App Store. It was there, ready to download, but I needed to do several things to my machine before I could update. When I came back a couple hours later, the link was no longer there, and hasn't been since. The App Store displays the message: Cannot connect to App Store, when there is fine connection. I can only assume they have moved, or removed it.

It's too dangerous for me to take my OS to Monterey right now.. but if I contact Apple, that will likely be their only solution.

Still, I do need to update my video software, which requires OS 11. Does anyone have any ideas?

Apple has always done these little hide and seek games with the non current OS.. it's almost comforting, in an odd way, lol!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Re: Anyone know where I can get Mac OS 11 Big Sur?

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you find it and it won't download, the usual reason is that you have a MacOS installer on your system drive, especially the Applications folder. If so, find and delete them, then reboot and try again. If you need to keep this other installer, zip it and move the zipped file, trashing and emptying the installer itself, then reboot. Trash and emptying won't clear whatever flag the App Store downloader is seeing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:37 pm https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Should do the trick.
Sure did, thank you! I really appreciate the link.. it got me 11.6, and from there I was able to get to 11.6.1

I had some serious problems with my system after the install, but I bit the bullet and stayed up late to iron through them.. all is well now, I think..

Thanks Mike, you're probably right. I looked in the downloads folder and a couple other places for an installer, but I didn't think to look in the Applications folder.. next time!!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
JRC4558D

Post by JRC4558D »

Killahurts wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:09 am
HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:37 pm https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Should do the trick.
Sure did, thank you! I really appreciate the link.. it got me 11.6, and from there I was able to get to 11.6.1

I had some serious problems with my system after the install, but I bit the bullet and stayed up late to iron through them.. all is well now, I think..

Thanks Mike, you're probably right. I looked in the downloads folder and a couple other places for an installer, but I didn't think to look in the Applications folder.. next time!!
hi!
i see you have a rme card, does it work under big sur?
i upgraded to big sur and couldn't make the drivers of my fireface ufx+ work at all and rolled back to catalina.
this was two days ago.
cheers!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

JRC4558D wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:11 am
hi!
i see you have a rme card, does it work under big sur?
i upgraded to big sur and couldn't make the drivers of my fireface ufx+ work at all and rolled back to catalina.
this was two days ago.
cheers!
I does.. it is a 14 year-old card!

Check RME for a new driver. I had to install a new one that they say is "for Mac OS Big Sur only." I made the mistake of installing it in advance of updating to Big Sur, and it didn't work, so I went back to the old RME driver. After Big Sur, I had to install the new one again to make it work. This is for my PCIe MADI card, but it may be a similar situation with your Fireface driver.